The White Stripes - Icky Thump, Etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bonochick said:
This album just keeps getting better and better. I'm almost kind of sorry that Ryan Adams' new album comes out today because Icky Thump is gonna have to take a backseat for awhile.

I'll direct this question to you though I'd welcome anyone's input. My friend's birthday is this week and he's a Ryan Adams and White Stripes fan. Which CD should I get him? I'm listening to Easy Tiger right now and it's pleasant but I'm not getting really excited about it. I haven't bought the White Stipes yet but I like what I've heard and everyone here seems to love it. My friend will buy whichever one I don't get him so I guess it doesn't really matter but...:shrug:

Would it be completely horrible of me to say Icky Thump? Probably...but I'll still go with it. I just think Icky Thump would be a better gift, as hard as it is to explain.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way knocking Ryan. :heart:

Bonochick said:
Would it be completely horrible of me to say Icky Thump? Probably...but I'll still go with it. I just think Icky Thump would be a better gift, as hard as it is to explain.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way knocking Ryan. :heart:

That's what I'm leaning towards, too, especially since I also got us tickets to see the White Stripes in October. It's a big birthday for him and I could give him both the ticket and the CD as a gift since he's really broke right now.

Okay, decision made. Thank you. :)

Well, he's gay and turning 40...I figured Jack's package is just the ticket. :sexywink:

LemonMelon said:
The only songs I'm really not sold on are St. Andrew, Little Cream Soda, and Martyr. The rest I'm quite pleased with. :up:

Little Cream Soda is actually my favourite! It's so warped and crazy :drool: Effect and Cause is also drool-worthy. I'm Slowly Turning Into You really reminds me of Zeppelin. Those are my top three at the moment.

My faves:

Icky Thump
You Don't Know...
Conquest
Little Cream Soda
Rag & Bone
I'm Slowly...
A Martyr...
Effect & Cause

Yeah, guess I could have narrowed that down a little more. Actually, I couldn't have. :angry: :heart:

Mr. BAW said:
Not that there's anything wrong with that...:no:

Well, he thinks it's the end of the world. The turning 40 part. :tsk:

I'm loving the record so far.

:up:

Stripes across the north
Garage rock duo's first stop on the northern leg of their Canadian tour leaves hundreds of Yukoners roaring like the once mighty Whitehorse Rapids

SANDRA SPEROUNES, CanWest News Service
Published: Wednesday, June 27, 2007

WHITEHORSE, Yukon - Who says the Gold Rush is over?

Whitehorse struck it rich when one of the world's biggest bands, The White Stripes, rocked this remote northern city of 23,000 in the land of the midnight sun.

The garage-rock duo of singer/guitarist Jack and drummer Meg White ended up treating fans to not one, but two shows on Monday - an impromptu afternoon concert in a downtown park, followed by an electrifying, sold-out gig at the Yukon Arts Centre.

Their 95-minute evening show - a thunderous, thumping assault of heavy, crackling blues and feisty, shrill punk -- capped off a day fraught with frustration, confusion and excitement.

Some residents griped about the dearth of seats at the YAC. Others weren't sure who The White Stripes were, while 428 fans with tickets treated Jack and Meg like they were priceless nuggets of gold, knowing how rare and precious rock stars of their status are in this part of Canada.

Whitehorse usually gets classic-rock acts like Trooper, Dr. Hook and Nazareth, although rapper Buck 65, k.d. lang and Daniel Lanois have also appeared over the last 20 years.

"You guys rock the free world!" whooped one man as the pair of fake siblings cranked out tunes from their latest album, Icky Thump, and a glittering collection of older songs, including Hotel Yorba, Seven Nation Army and a wicked, wailing cover of Dolly Parton's Jolene.

"Is it okay if we play a longer show than we normally do?" mumbled Jack, about eight songs into their set at YAC's cozy theatre, which felt more like an elementary gymnasium filled with hyperactive children.

"We don't know when we'll be coming back."

Whitehorse was the first of three northern stops - followed by Yellowknife and Iqaluit - as part of the duo's mission to cover all three territories and 10 provinces.

It's expensive to travel across the rugged wilderness, which is why more artists don't do it. But instead of trying to make up their costs with exorbitant ticket prices, seats to the duo's Whitehorse show were only $40 plus service charges.

The White Stripes flew in Monday morning from Bellingham, Wash., on two planes - one for their gear and a 23-seater for their entourage, including roadies, a film crew and staff of the tour company, Live Nation.

Seven hours after his arrival, Jack was out and about - ordering a cup of coffee in Zola's Cafe Dore and turning heads as he walked around downtown Whitehorse with two of his crew members.

"Who was that?" asked a bewildered older man as the trio sauntered along Main Street, sporting naturally pasty faces as white as the snow-capped mountains surrounding the city. All were clad in two of White's customary colours - black suits and hats with red ties - yet they might as well have been wearing fluorescent pink and green.

Steve Herskowitz, a doctor from Montreal, was in town for a bachelor's party and decided to see if he could get a pair of tickets. One scalper was asking $400, but Herskowitz ended up snagging them for $180. "They wanted $80 for each ticket, but I gave them $90," he smiled.

As Jack and Meg played the grungy, heavy notes of Black Math, fans exploded out of their seats, pumping their fists, or running to the front of the theatre.

The duo's 25-song set was loud, stompy, heavy and wild - Jack slid, pounced, twirled, kneeled and knocked over microphone stands as if his guitar was throwing him around like a delirious rag doll.

He was solely focused on coaxing thunderbolts of bluesy, squealing shrieks out of his throat and guitar during I'm Slowly Turning Into You, Hello Operator, Blue Orchid, The Denial Twist and the group's latest single, Icky Thump, which also featured a pandemonium of synthesizers.

Jack tried to tame his inner beast during softer, snappier songs such as Jolene, We're Going To Be Friends and I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself, but it was futile. He still ended up sounding like a deliciously evil Paul McCartney.

Meg, in contrast, was the reserved-but-charming school teacher - singing In the Cold, Cold Night with her eyes shut, and gingerly raising her elbows while tapping on her cymbals or bashing her kick drum.
She's a simple drummer, but no other timekeeper has her stylized moves. She slouched into a cocky hip-hop pose during Hotel Yorba, then held one hand on her hip during the final song of the encore, Seven Nation Army.

Magnificent.

She couldn't hold her poise once Jack stormed her drum riser and collapsed into her at the end of the song. The two then clasped hands and walked off stage - only to return with a large flag of the Yukon.

The crowd roared like the once mighty White Horse Rapids.

Edmonton Journal

Thanks for the post BonoManiac.

Jack & Meg are throwbacks to a different era. :drool:

Setlist sounds good, and it changes a bit night to night. Happy for the folks in the northern territories :wink:

I scrolled over that article VERY quickly. :wink: Don't want to spoil myself in case there are any surprises. I only just managed to get my hands on Icky Thump today. It is being transferred into iTunes as I speak...er, type.

hardyharhar said:
Thanks for the post BonoManiac.

Jack & Meg are throwbacks to a different era. :drool:

Setlist sounds good, and it changes a bit night to night. Happy for the folks in the northern territories :wink:

Hey, no problem. It's my pleasure. :)

My respect for this band continues to grow, especially after reading articles such as that.

inmyplace13 said:
I said it once, I'll say it again: Everything from Little Cream Soda on is gold, Jerry. Gold!

I'm still with Banyan on this one. Second half :up: :yes: And the first half ain't half bad either :wink:

Now, about that dinner at Mendy's :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom