The War on Drugs - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #211
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
I've got a shitload but get absolutely no use out of them. Dunno where I'd even begin.
I pray to mine.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #212
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:02 PM
I've never gotten or attempted to get a setlist, although I saw a roadie from Lykke Li's crew roll out with like ten of them and distribute them to the front row after the show on Wednesday.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #213
45:33

Local Time: 11:02 AM
^ same.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #214
She's the One

Local Time: 04:02 PM
Random Setlist Talk
Old 10-04-2014, 04:24 AM   #215
She's the One

I'm going to sell everything I own, quit my job, and become a Drughead and follow these guys around. Your Love is Calling My Name was a 10 minute face melt.

I have to go to bed now.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #216
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:02 PM
Red Eyes has got to be one of the best road trip songs. It's dangerous getting a lead foot.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #217
She's the One

Ocean Between the Waves does that to my foot.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #218
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 10:02 AM
I once tried to get a setlist at a Mission of Burma gig, but there was this tiny hipster girl right on the rail next to me who also wanted it, and I felt kind of bad. I also tried to get a setlist at an Umphrey's McGee gig, but some burnout stoner was pushing dudes out of the way for it.

Is there anything on their earlier albums like An Ocean Between The Waves?
Old 10-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #219
She's the One

Slave Ambient has some driving tunes. Your Love is Calling My Name and Come to the City are sort of like it.

But not really.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #220
Refugee

Local Time: 12:02 AM
toke
Old 10-06-2014, 04:37 AM   #221
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

After a hiatus of a few months, this (Lost In The Dream) came alive for me on a long car trek this weekend. I propped my laptop in the front seat with headphones plugged in and hit the lead to the floor as the eloquent, interweaving shimmer of guitar, drums, keyboards, some horn hidden in there too, worked their way into my brain. The themes that come in and out of focus, to very rewarding effect... and I'm talking musical themes here. Motifs or whatever you call them.

The secret of this act is that the singer isn't all that eloquent, or all that present or charismatic (and in live clips, sans studio echo, he's all but lost... geddit... in the dream that is the music). What he's singing about is relatable enough, not earthshattering but not untrue either. Being lost and at a loose end. Losing everything. Losing your sense of self. But the eloquence, that's what the music is there for. The closing minutes of first track 'Under the Pressure' are a fine example of what I'm talking about. I'd forgotten I don't hate music.

Two words as an entry point into this record: Unforgettable Fire. You thought I was going to say Bruce Springsteen or Tom Petty. But I've decided I'm not. It is not a simple 80s or 'classic rock' pastiche. There's more going on than that. It's more like, the music that someone younger who grew up on that stuff ought to be making. There's a song here that called up echoes of the piano bit from Layla, but again, not obviously. It's just stuff that's buried in the subsoil.

In the 'used to be in The War on Drugs' competition, Adam Granduciel is now coming out well ahead of Kurt Vile, for me. Imagine U2 ever allowing themselves something so expansive.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:51 AM   #222
45:33

Local Time: 11:02 AM
I still reckon Dave Hartley's (bass) record last year was unfairly ignored/underrated

Old 10-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #223
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:02 PM
The War on Drugs: Inside Man | Pitchfork
Old 10-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #224
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
After a hiatus of a few months, this (Lost In The Dream) came alive for me on a long car trek this weekend. I propped my laptop in the front seat with headphones plugged in and hit the lead to the floor as the eloquent, interweaving shimmer of guitar, drums, keyboards, some horn hidden in there too, worked their way into my brain. The themes that come in and out of focus, to very rewarding effect... and I'm talking musical themes here. Motifs or whatever you call them.

The secret of this act is that the singer isn't all that eloquent, or all that present or charismatic (and in live clips, sans studio echo, he's all but lost... geddit... in the dream that is the music). What he's singing about is relatable enough, not earthshattering but not untrue either. Being lost and at a loose end. Losing everything. Losing your sense of self. But the eloquence, that's what the music is there for. The closing minutes of first track 'Under the Pressure' are a fine example of what I'm talking about. I'd forgotten I don't hate music.

Two words as an entry point into this record: Unforgettable Fire. You thought I was going to say Bruce Springsteen or Tom Petty. But I've decided I'm not. It is not a simple 80s or 'classic rock' pastiche. There's more going on than that. It's more like, the music that someone younger who grew up on that stuff ought to be making. There's a song here that called up echoes of the piano bit from Layla, but again, not obviously. It's just stuff that's buried in the subsoil.

In the 'used to be in The War on Drugs' competition, Adam Granduciel is now coming out well ahead of Kurt Vile, for me. Imagine U2 ever allowing themselves something so expansive.

Very nice synopsis!

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin
Old 10-09-2014, 04:23 AM   #225
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:02 PM
This is one of like three albums I own from this year that I still haven't heard. I'm sure it's awesome though, heh. Wasn't it the highest ranking 2014 release on that Pitchfork list a month back?

Tags
slave ambient, the war on drugs