The Post-Rock Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2popmofo said:
I demand a set list and COMPLETE details.
Unfortunately, I can't provide you with a setlist. I'm one of those lame casual fans who can't recall song titles :sad:. Seriously, I can barely identify the segments of performances I recorded (I partially blame it on how bass heavy they came out on my camera since the sound was turned up to 11 at the venue. Note to self - wear earplugs next time you're chillin' at the front row by 3 subwoofers)

But yeah, did they ever tear the house down.

I had no idea Munaf was such a beast live (I've never seen performance vids on YouTube and the like). We were standing in the front row directly in front of him and I was in awe the entire time. His energy was through the fucking roof - other guys too, Michael James, especially :up:

The transitions between performances were seamless and nearly without breaks. It almost felt like they performed one epic song for the entire hour.

2335986484_6674cd4146.jpg

Amusing story, I had some fanboys who drove down from Austin (aka *~The Impy13s~* "WE'RE FROM AUSTIN!!! YEEEEEAH!") standing to my right who tried to get the crowd to stay after the house lights came on. I'd say about 80% of the crowd didn't leave and chanted "ONE MORE SONG!" at the direction of The Impy13s in protest of the set being an hour long with no encore.

I started filming a video with my camera when Munaf came back out on stage in preparation for a possible encore:

"One more song, one more song! [Unintelligible] This is EITS, this is all we got. Everything we have, every bit of energy, every bit of love in our hearts comes to you in that hour. So if we came back, [unintelligible]. Thank you, thank you for [unintelligible]"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T71Jol0fmxU

Following that, The Impy13s complained about a specific song not being performed because they felt robbed and the like. Whatevs.

My craptastic videos are here. You can see what the transitions are like 25 seconds into the 2nd video on the playlist. Also, I will be eternally grateful if anyone can help me make out what's being performed!

If you're going to watch one go with this one and watch Munaf go absolutely nuts at 1:30ish into the video.

Anyway, that was one hell of an amazing concert. I want to see them again and again and again. Going back and listening to their studio material almost feels a bit unsatisfying after experiencing their live show.

U2democrat said:
OK I have to ask, what exactly is Post-Rock? :reject:

That's a loaded question. I'm going to go with Simon Reynolds' definition: "Post-rock means using rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes, using guitars as facilitators of timbres and textures rather than riffs and powerchords." It's usually instrumental as well.

Bands you should check out: Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, God is an Astronaut

<is seeing Explosions in the Sky in two weeks :hyper:

onebloodonelife said:

That's a loaded question. I'm going to go with Simon Reynolds' definition: "Post-rock means using rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes, using guitars as facilitators of timbres and textures rather than riffs and powerchords." It's usually instrumental as well.

Bands you should check out: Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, God is an Astronaut

<is seeing Explosions in the Sky in two weeks :hyper:

Thanks!

It's good stuff :up:

martha said:
So I should get the rest of their records, then?

which one you have?

well, their discography it's limitated, they just have 2 LPs and 1 split with Gregor Samsa

Gregor Samsa rocks

anyways...

Red Sparowes albums:

At the Soundless Dawn: fantastic, dark and epic

Every Red Heart...: not so great, still amazing

and the split contains 2 Red Sparowes songs, 1 never released before, plus... you can check Gregor Samsa

I swear, those guys are amazing, dreamy, cold, sad... you know...

I hate you guys, I'm listening to 'Alone And Unaware, The Landscape Was Transformed Before Our Eyes' on Last FM right now and now have to get that damn Red Sparowes album.

I read that the 65daysofstatic back albums were finally released in North America this week as well..... ....Not to mention Mogwai's EP+6 (highly recommended if you have all their albums) and Kicking A Dead Pig were re-released.

I'm looking foward those Mogwai releases :hmm:

and yes, Red Sparowes is like the soundtrack of an epic final battle

10 days till Explosions in the Sky!! :hyper:

Annnnd, El Ten Eleven is planning a summer tour. Here's the dates so far, and they're supposed to be adding more to their Myspace:

Jun 4 2008 9:00P Luckey’s Cigar Store Eugene, Oregon
Jun 6 2008 9:00P Town Lounge Portland, Oregon
Jun 7 2008 10:00P Neurolux Boise, Idaho
Jun 8 2008 9:00P Urban Lounge Salt Lake City, Utah
Jun 9 2008 9:00P The High Dive Denver, Colorado
Jun 11 2008 9:00P Record Bar Kansas City, Missouri
Jun 12 2008 9:00P Turf Club St. Paul, Minnesota
Jun 14 2008 9:00P Founders Brewing Co. Grand Rapids, Michigan
Jun 15 2008 10:00P Schubas Chicago, Illinois
Jun 21 2008 10:00P Brillobox Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Jul 5 2008 10:00P Plush Tucson, Arizona

I'm planning on going to the St. Paul show as long as I don't have to work that night/can get off work.

Finally got to see Explosions in the Sky for the first time last night! Such an amazing show, I don't even know where to begin. They said they hadn't been to Utah for 7 years (I didn't think they ever had been here), but they said the last time they were here they made $31 dollars at the end of the night. Last night they made far more than that, as the place was absolutely packed. There was a fairly interesting mix of people at the show, and the crowd overall was younger than I was expecting. On to the show, Explosions were as good, if not better, than I was expecting. Everything sounded wonderful, and they were definitely as loud as I've always heard they are live. This was the setlist I wrote down on my phone:

First Breath After Coma
Catastrophe and the Cure
Memorial
The Birth and Death of the Day
Your Hand in Mine
Greet Death
Welcome, Ghosts
The Only Moment We Were Alone

From a setlist stand point, I couldn't have asked for anything better. I went into the show saying "if they play either Your Hand in Mine or The Only Moment We Were Alone, I'll walk away completely satisfied", and to my luck, they actually played both! Your Hand In Mine has long been my favorite Explosions song (and apparently a lot of others, as the whole crowd cheered when the first riff started playing, which was awesome), and I really wasn't expecting it as I didn't want to get my hopes up. It sounded beautiful and really satisfied live. Probably the highlight of the night was The Only Moment We Were Alone (my second favorite Explosions song, which I also wasn't expecting and also resulted in a huge cheer from the audience when it started). It was a fantastic closer, and probably the most impressive performance visually and sound wise. I was surprised to only get one song from Those Who Tell The Truth, but was happy it was Greet Death as that was the first song of theirs I ever heard (and the opening rock out was amazing and extended live). The new songs from All Of a Sudden I Miss Everyone were all extremely impressive and great sounding live. Honestly, couldn't have asked for a better show. The band was really into it, and the crowd ate it up and gave a great deal of applause where it was deserved. These guys are the real deal. :up:

Last edited:
:drool: I'm even more excited than I was for Sunday night! :hyper: I'd love to hear Greet Death and The Only Moment We Were Alone.

onebloodonelife said:

Did you happen to see how much their shirts were?

$12. I think everything they were selling was $12. I bought a shirt and the CD version of The Rescue, both were $12. I think all the vinyl was $12 as well, kinda wish I would have picked them up.

u2popmofo said:

$12. I think everything they were selling was $12. I bought a shirt and the CD version of The Rescue, both were $12. I think all the vinyl was $12 as well, kinda wish I would have picked them up.

:shocked: That's awesome! I'll probably get at least a shirt (if not a couple) and The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place on vinyl then.

onebloodonelife... your Space Moon playlist has totally gotten me into post-rock. I'm really intrigued.

Anyone heard Maserati? I like them a lot

kapritska.blogspot.com = lots of post-rock

AtomicBono said:
onebloodonelife... your Space Moon playlist has totally gotten me into post-rock. I'm really intrigued.

Anyone heard Maserati? I like them a lot

kapritska.blogspot.com = lots of post-rock

:up:

I'm glad that my playlist did something for you. I have some Maserati already, just their split with The Mercury Program, and I'm getting some more of their stuff now on your recommendation.

kapritska.blogspot.com is good for post-rock albums, it's where I found We vs. Death, and no-datta.blogspot.com puts up all kinds of different music, including lots of post-rock stuff. If you're on LiveJournal, postrockxchange is a great community; they pretty much fill requests nearly instantaneously, and I've discovered some new bands from there.

I just got into 3epkano. I've been really liking post-rock with strings and other classical instruments in it, and 3epkano do a good job of incorporating violins and such into their songs. Still stuck on Yndi Halda too, another great use of strings. And, of course, I'm preparing for Explosions in the Sky on Sunday and listening to them a lot. :rockon:

Jack In The Box said:
lucky you

really, I can't even imagine a show by those guys, it must be... epic, gigantic, apocalyptic... you know

It was. :drool:

I was really tired from getting up early and working all day (a particularly tiring one as well), and the band came on very late (for me anyway). But I did notice that the music and the harmonies of the instruments made me seem to float a bit. I could feel the rhythm and the music in my body, and it wasn't the volume alone that was doing that. I did have to go sit down towards the end because my feet were numb and I was getting faint, but I think that was mostly tiredness. :D

It was way cool. :up:

I'm glad you guys are here to get me new music.

I'm about to leave for Milwaukee to see Explosions in the Sky! 6:30am bus from Minneapolis to Milwaukee and then 2:30am tomorrow from Milwaukee to Minneapolis FTW!!

I'm gonna be so tired tomorrow...but, it will be worth it. I'll come back with a full setlist (hopefully, if I can remember them all) and pictures. :D

Setlist:

Your Hand in Mine
Birth and Death of the Day
Six Days at the Bottom of the Ocean
Catastrophe and the Cure
Greet Death
It's Natural to Be Afraid
Remember Me as a Time of Day
The Only Moment We Were Alone

I'll put up pictures and links to the videos I took once they're uploaded.

Fucking brilliant show though, got to hear a bunch of favorites, was right up on the stage on Munaf's side. I can't believe the energy those guys all put in night after night. A good part of the show I just closed my eyes and let the music take over...amazing experience, I actually felt like I was floating and the music had enveloped me. Crazy stuff.

Very cool, oneblood. I think I would have jumped off the balcony if they would have opened with Your Hand In Mine as I would have been too excited. How'd it work as an opener? Pretty cool they played Remember Me As a Time of Day, I don't think they play the "How Strange" songs much, I like that one too. :up:

Martha, I listened to the Red Sparowes album again this weekend in honor of your concert goings.

I think Inventions for the New Season by Maserati is my favourite post-rock album that I've heard so far. It sounds kinda like if Bono learned to play guitar like Edge instead of singing in the mid 80's and they became a jam band. Fuckin' awesome.

I need to get more Explosions in the Sky, I only have two songs...but Catastrophe and the Cure is amazing :drool:

I downloaded like 13 post-rock albums :crazy:

Back
Top Bottom