the pains of being pure at heart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're talking about Psychocandy or a singles collection, then the answer is clearly yes. Otherwise, the answer is just as clearly a resounding no.
Not to turn this into a JAMC thread, but what about Honey's Dead or Darklands? They're pretty damned great, IMO.

To each, his/her own. I really love quite a few Jesus vs. Mary Chain singles, but the only record of theirs which I haven't fallen asleep while spinning is Psychocandy. Such is life, I suppose.

For the production style, Glasvegas and No Age, to name two. And both of those records are more convincing at fitting those noise rock sensibilities into the band's overall sound. As for the melodies, it really doesn't help that I'm extremely familiar with all of their influences (I hear a very pronounced Stone Roses influence, especially in Gentle Sons, which screams This Is The One, along with the aforementioned MBV and JATMC), and would much rather pop in their records instead.

This really just feels like a parody or tribute album to me, and rather faceless, like it was created in a lab. Maybe the EP feels more unique.

i've seen glasvegas live a few times and heard their record but they somehow don't seem as convincing as this band.

maybe glasvegas are trying too hard?

when i listen to this album i like the fact that they seem not to give a fuck about all their influences and wear them proudly upon their sleeve!

My local store finally got my copy in yesterday, listened to it for the first time tonight. Not surprisingly, loved every second of it. It's exactly what I thought it would be / wanted it to be. I have a feeling I'm going to be listening to this one a lot this year. :up:

I think Stay Alive is my favorite track at this point. What songs would the rest of you say are your favs?

I've heard their song 'Come Saturday' on the radio a few times. I like it. The lyrics are practically indecipherable but something about the lead singer's voice reminds me of Morrissey. That could be way off, though. Maybe I just have a feeling that the singer is a melancholic Morrissey-esque character. The guitars are nice and noisy/jangly/retro sounding, too. That's all I know about this band. Thanks.

someone reccomended these guys. i'm bumping this to remind myself to check them out. because it's all about me. yes. it is.

Considering your recent Glasvegas addiction, you may actually like them. You may not.

I like them quite a bit though, for whatever that's worth.

Speaking of Glasvegas, the EP I need to send you is still sitting on my desk.... Sorry for the laziness.

still haven't gotten around to listening. i actually read through the thread this time, though! hmm...i liked ride.

Speaking of Glasvegas, the EP I need to send you is still sitting on my desk.... Sorry for the laziness.

heh, no worries.

I don't get the Ride/Slowdive comparisons... they're not shoegaze at all, if anything their influences are clearly pre-shoegaze, although perhaps leaning in the direction. Maybe some of Ride's rockier tracks resemble theirs a bit, but TPOBPAH are quintessentially eighties-revival done very successfully (and worth listening to regardless of what you care about Ride and shit).

I don't get the Ride/Slowdive comparisons... they're not shoegaze at all, if anything their influences are clearly pre-shoegaze, although perhaps leaning in the direction. Maybe some of Ride's rockier tracks resemble theirs a bit, but TPOBPAH are quintessentially eighties-revival done very successfully (and worth listening to regardless of what you care about Ride and shit).

:up:

Just listened to this at work today... 3 times.

pains1.jpg

We did a live session with these guys this March in Austin, great set that includes a new song that you can download for free.....

The Futurist ? Blog Archive ? SXSW 2009 Session Recap - The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart

Really enjoyable song.

To me, it sounds like it couldn't be anymore influenced by mid-80s post-punk alternative rock if it tried. I hear UF-era U2(I don't see how anyone couldn't), maybe Joy Division, Simple Minds, etc.

LeMeL's favorite band just announced some fall tour dates:

Pains of Being Pure at Heart:

06-18 New York, NY - Cake Shop #
07-10 New York, NY - South Street Seaport %
07-18 Chicago, IL - Pitchfork Music Festival
07-20 Los Angeles, CA - The Echo *
07-21 San Francisco, CA - The Rickshaw Stop *
07-23 Portland, OR - Backspace *
07-24 Vancouver, British Columbia - Biltmore Cabaret *
07-25 Seattle, WA - Capitol Hill Block Party
09-05 Boston, MA - Middle East Downstairs &+
09-06 Montreal, Quebec - La Sala Rossa &+
09-07 Toronto, Ontario - Horseshoe Tavern &+
09-08 Chicago, IL - Logan Square Auditorium &+
09-09 Madison, WI - Stage Door at the Orpheum &+
09-10 Omaha, NE - The Slowdown &+
09-12 Morrison, CO - Monolith Festival
09-13 Salt Lake City, UT - Kilby Court &+
09-14 Boise, ID - Neurolux &+
09-17 Portland, OR - MFNW/Doug Fir &+
09-21 San Diego, CA - Casbah &+
09-22 Tucson, AZ - Club Congress &+
09-24 Fort Worth, TX - Lola's &+
09-25 Austin, TX - The Mohawk &+
09-26 New Orleans, LA - One Eyed Jacks &+
09-27 Tallahassee, FL - Club Downunder &+
09-28 Atlanta, GA - The Earl &+
09-29 Chapel Hill, NC - Local 506 &+
09-30 Washington, DC - Black Cat &+
10-01 Baltimore, MD - Ottobar &+
10-05 Philadelphia, PA - First Unitarian Church &+

# with Crystal Stilts
% with Zaza
* with Girls
+ with Cymbals Eat Guitars
& with the Depreciation Guild

:hyper:

EDIT: Dammit, they actually are coming here and I'll be in Chicago watching those U2 bastards play that weekend.

i want to go to the boston show now just because i am curious as to what cymbals eat guitars is.

damn. i was hoping for robots. i hear that you smell like robots, mofo.

painscov452.jpg

March 29th

Produced by Flood

Here the title track here (which seriously sounds a little Smashing Pumpkins-ish, guitar wise):

Pitchfork: The Pains of Being Pure at Heart Talk New LP

Looks like Heart In Your Heartbreak will be on the album too, which is a good thing since that song is fantastic. :up:

Pitchfork: Were you anxious about recording with Flood?

KB: Yeah. We had a conference call with him beforehand, and I thought, "He might not like the sound of our voices-- he could change his mind!" And there were a lot of fears-- like, is this guy going to show up and tell us to do these sweeping Edge guitar solos? But, really, it helped us be more us.

Alex Naidus: I didn't know if I was supposed to call him "Flood." [laughs] The answer is yes-- that's all he goes by. Then I was nervous because we had never really recorded properly before-- I didn't know if he was going to make fun of how I play bass. There were all these levels of pseudo-anxiety but, by the end of the first day, we were cracking jokes. I would hang out with him any day. We even showed him that Nine Inch Nails "shreds" thing where they put awful music over the "March of the Pigs" video and he loved it. He e-mailed to Trent.

KB: We got comfortable enough that, at one point, we took some paper and tape and made it look like his U2 Grammy was ours.

Did you listen to it?

I think I'll probably wait, really looking forward to it though. That reminds me that I should preorder it!

Back
Top Bottom