The National - Trouble Will Find Anthony Fantano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Btw, after much digging, I finally found the setlist they played the first time I saw them, back in the Boxer tour.

2052789124_3e0b6c7b4a.jpg

Okay, now that I'm more coherent, here is the setlist from last night in Milwaukee:

1. I Should Live in Salt
2. Don't Swallow the Cap
3. Bloodbuzz Ohio
4. Sorrow
5. Sea of Love
6. Demons
7. Afraid of Everyone
8. Conversation 16
9. Squalor Victoria
10. I Need My Girl
11. This Is the Last Time
12. Slipped (Matt: "I guarantee I will fuck this up." Aaron: "See, he always says that, so that everyone will applaud when he nails it.")
13. Geese of Beverly Road
14. Abel
15. Slow Show
16. Apartment Story
17. Pink Rabbits
18. Graceless
19. England (Matt: "This one is one Matt Berringer...not me, he's the building manager here...we always get each other's e-mails.")
20. Fake Empire

21. Humiliation
22. Mr. November
23. Terrible Love
24. Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks

This was the best of the four National shows I have seen. The band was tight, muscular, powerful...just superb throughout the entire show. Squalor Victoria and Terrible Love are even more fierce now than they were on the last tour, and the new songs came off quite well, especially the more mellow numbers like I Need My Girl. The level of energy never waned, with Matt visibly out of breath on several occasions from his stage antics. The crowd was digging it as well: very familiar with HV and Trouble Will Find Me, but not so much with anything earlier, which surprised me a bit. They only let a small number of people into the GA pit, so we managed to be about five rows back from the stage by the end. The above setlist was just about perfect for me; only Available and All the Wine would have improved on it. Definitely count me happy with the whole experience, and also the city of Milwaukee now being three-for-three on great concert experiences.

A couple years ago I compiled a list of how many times I've seen them perform certain songs. Here is it updated after seeing them for the fifth time at Bonnaroo in June:

Five:
Mistaken For Strangers
Squalor Victoria
Apartment Story
Fake Empire
Mr November

Four:
Slow Show
Abel

Three:
All the Wine
Secret Meeting
Bloodbuzz Ohio
Afraid of Everyone
Anyone's Ghost
Conversation 16
England
Terrible Love

Two:
Runaway
Available/Cardinal Song
Vanderlyle
Start a War
Brainy
Baby We'll Be Fine
About Today

One:
Geese
Sorrow
Lucky You
Santa Clara
Racing Like a Pro
Green Gloves
I Should Live In Salt
Don't Swallow the Cap
This is the Last Time
Sea of Love
I Need My Girl
Humiliation
Graceless

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out after seeing them twice this October.

Saw the band last night in St. Paul for the first time. Easily one of my favorite bands since the High Violet days and Alligator/Boxer are my most played albums this year. The show didn't quite meet the hype I've seen here though, but it was enjoyable.

RT @ChloeGMoretz: absolutely freaking out I'm gonna be on kimmel with @The_National #inlove

She's a talented young actress who makes me feel like I belong in jail.

A quick Google search reveals she's the same age as my youngest brother. Yikes.

Also, she looks familiar but I don't think I've seen any of her films. Hmm.

:(

The National doesn't seem interested in improving Alligator awareness. They played like 2 songs from it at Lolla.

Alligator was the animal that led me down to the river of The National where it opened its jaws and bit my head off leaving me wanting more!

I like that album for the blueprints and artistic sparks they needed to make the glorious following albums we have down till this newest one.

Nobody here has a copy of the Barclays show soundboard bootleg that could be sent to me, right? I'm struggling to find an active link.

Back
Top Bottom