The HUGE (hopefully) Morrissey "Mozzer" (and of course The Smiths) Thread!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheQuiet1 said:

Tilli, I've added it to my 'Must Buy CD List As Soon As I Get My Slight Cash Flow Problem Sorted Out'. So in a few years I should be the proud owner of a copy! :wink:

*yes, this just an excuse to bitch about my day*

I went on the bus today to a local town that no-one will have heard of (The bus fare was £3.70 return for a 15 minute journey! Am I the only who finds that a tad pricey?) so I get there wanting just one simple thing and the supermarket didn't sell it. So pissed off and with an hour to kill before the next bus home, I go for a wander up the High Street. I find myself in Woolies where The Best of The Smiths is being sold at a dirt cheap price (of all the luck, they mainly sell chart CDs with a small random selection of 'classic' albums) :hyper: They'd only fecking well sold out of every single copy! (Still had tons of Morrissey-You Are The Quarry and Morrissey- Suedehead Best of) Then just to top it all off, whilst I was waiting at the bus station huddled up against the wind and drizzle I caught sight of myself in a parked bus window. I looked like some sort of homeless drug addict desperately scanning the floor for any discarded shrapnel that could go towards my next fix :grumpy:

;)

TheQuiet1 said:

I find myself in Woolies where The Best of The Smiths is being sold at a dirt cheap price (of all the luck, they mainly sell chart CDs with a small random selection of 'classic' albums) :hyper: They'd only fecking well sold out of every single copy! (Still had tons of Morrissey-You Are The Quarry and Morrissey- Suedehead Best of)

;)

I think you are destined not to own any Smiths CDs! I may pop down to Woolworths tommorrow however - I have heard bits of You Are The Quarry and I like it. :wink:

Yeah, I'll probably finally buy a copy then as soon as I exit the store be struck by lightning/run over/mugged. ;)

Panic and I Know it's Over:drool:

I am generally not a fan of Mozza's voice but I love it in I Know It's Over:cool:

Last edited:
Never really listened to The Smiths, but I love Morrissey. Can't wait for the new album/tour.

Guys, you have to listen to The Smiths..... They are groundbreaking and mindblowing!!!!!! Really!!!!!

A am sooooooo f******* looking forward to the new album. Hopefully they'll have it on friday or I have to scream as loud as I can in the shop to get what I want!!!!! ;)

TheQuiet1 said:

I bought a copy today! Now everyone join me in my happy dance:

:D :dance: :D
Yay!! I see you got Best Of - The one with Charles Hawtrey on the front? I have that :up: Happy listening!!!:dance:

:dance: Yeah, "this chaaaaaaaaaaarming maaaaaaan" :lol:

I love the who put the M in Manchester DVD! He seems so "lucky" (hard word for him!)

Well, to put this conversation to another level:

What do you think about his style????
Cause I really love it. The way he dresses now fits him perfectly!!!

Opinions requested

WARNING: Long post!

Ok now that I've had the album for a few days I just want to say that I love it. I can see what Zootlesque means about some of the songs sounding the same (I think that might have a lot to do with Morrissey's vocals/lyrics being so prominent over the music for a quite a few of the songs) but when this band writes a good song they sure do write a good song!

I love the way that the lyrics exactly capture that whole feeling of melancholy and insecurity (about yourself) that characterises much of your adolescense. For example, 'How Soon Is Now?' "And you go and you stand on your own/And you leave on your own/And you go home/ And you cry/And you want to die". That's it! That's exactly how you feel!

But what I really absolutely adore about the lyrics is that the whole depression is topped off with really black humour. I mean how can you listen to "And if a double-decker bus crashes into us" and not get even a twitch of a smile? (or was that just me? :shifty: )

"Why do I smile at people I'd much rather kick in the eye?" probably best sums up what I love about The Smiths lyrics. We all feel like that at times, it isn't a particular nice part of us but we all feel it, and it's put in a humorous way.

Anyway, the stand-out tracks on the album so far for me:

Panic
The Boy With the Thorn In His Side
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
Ask
Bigmouth Strikes Again
How Soon Is Now?
What Difference Does It Make?
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
Girlfriend In A Coma
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
Sheila Takes A Bow
Shoplifters Of The World Unite
Last Night I Dreamt Someone Loved Me

I could go through every track individually and tell you why I think it's so great, my favourite lyric here, this great guitar riff there but, frankly, I think this post is long enough as it is! So, Tilli thanks for recommending the album :up:

Morrissey's Style:

The guy had a quiff in his hair that added another six inches to his height and he got away with it. It even actually suited him! :yes: This guy has bags of style.

Well, if you've managed to actually get this far and have read all of my long, rambling post then :applaud: and if I've irreversably ruined your eyesight as a result then I apologise unreservedly. :wink:

My only gripe with the Best of is that it doesn't have 'Cemetery Gates' on it. WTF? It's one of the most famous Smiths songs. That's like U2 releasing a Best of without Streets or One on it!

No problem, I could read it and even post something!!! :lol:

yeah, I def. can relate to that! I always have a HUGE smile on my face during "there is a light that never goes out".

Although the lyrics are so depressing the kind he sings them and the music (especially during Smiths times) makes you feel so positiv!!! Like "shit, I know that live sucks, but it's ok" :) You know??!!
Everyday is like sunday, everyday is silent and grey!
.... Come nuclear come.... (with him going down to his knees and praying) Just perfect!
It's just great!

Nice that you like his style,too!

Anyone else in here???? (Hope so.... Cause he's dressed .... hmmmmmmm..... sooooooo gorgeous!!!)

Everlastinglove said:
No problem, I could read it and even post something!!! :lol:

:lmao:

Everlastinglove said:
Like "shit, I know that live sucks, but it's ok" :) You know??!!
:yes:

Originally posted by Everlastinglove Anyone else in here???? [/B]
Everyone else seems to have abandoned this thread :sad: (let's guilt trip them into coming back! ;) )

i added another album to my Smiths collection today.

'Rank'

their live album. sounds pretty good so far. But then again this is the smiths we're talking about so i expect top quality!

"Jack the Ripper" is my fave Moz song. I see him sometimes at bars in L.A. He has a very large fan base here and he's still looks good...

glad people are checking smiths and morrissey out. It's never too late. :)

i just lestened to Morrisey and i hae to admit....he made me sad. I listened I have forgiven Jesus. I am not feeling so good, so i have to admit, it is harder when i hear lines like...
"Why did you give me so much desire, When there is nowhere I can go to offload this desire?
And why did you give me so much love in a loveless world, When there is no one I can turn to
To unlock all this love?"

TheQuiet1 said:

Everyone else seems to have abandoned this thread :sad: (let's guilt trip them into coming back! ;) )

YES!!!! SHAME ON THEM!!!!!

@ LA twins: did you ever said something to him??? Or doesn't he won't to be disturbed (hmmmm, in doing nothing I guess! :)).

@ girlhappy: Yeah, but that's just Moz as we love him. This lyrics are soooo great and overwhelmning!!!!!!!!!

I can now add 'Still Ill' to the liked songs list- even if it's just because of the way he says "I dunno". :wink:

Back
Top Bottom