The Cure: 4:13 DREAM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's funny, when the self-titled album came out, everyone here loved it. It's interesting to see so much hate for it now.

Yeah. I realize I have to really wait a few months for the potential propaganda effect to wear off. I'm very saddened at the production. Wish and Disintegration are so textured but the vocals are also sung so beautifully and sometimes at a whisper. Except for "Underneath the Stars", which is perhaps sung too softly, the vocals are messy and the production is irritating.

The Hungry Ghost is totally ruined by that electronic backbeat and unintelligible chorus. It could have been great. Still love that catchy guitar strum and Porl's solo, though.

The production IS quite good on "It's Over", though, and it is a pretty good song. I don't know what the hell happened, though.

Can't wait for the dark album due this year!

"I personally LOVE 'Underneath the Stars', and don't get the "trying to sound like Disintegration" argument at all. That IS what The Cure has sounded like for decades."

What other interpretation can you take from this statement? "That" is either referring to Disintegration or "trying to sound like Disintegration," and if they have been adhering to "that" for decades than it must be in some way typical.

I actually don't think "Underneath the Stars" is all that Disintegration like in that it has no keyboards at all. Disintegration was all about the keys, and yet they create quite a lush effect with just guitars; it's quite amazing.

Has anyone heard "NY Trip"? It's one of the best songs from those sessions and should have been on the album, I now realize. It's from "The Only One" single.

I was actually talking about the self-titled album, 'The Cure'. It was received very well here, so it's odd to see so many people here saying they hate it now.

4:13 on the other hand....I sadly can't blame people for not liking it. I'd have to say it's the first Cure album I straight up don't like. :(

The Cure : News : 'DISINTEGRATION' COMES OF AGE?!!

'DISINTEGRATION' COMES OF AGE?!!

THE REMASTERED 'DISINTEGRATION' ALBUM (21ST ANNIVERSARY EDITION) WILL BE RELEASED WORLDWIDE IN SPRING 2010 ON UNIVERSAL AND RHINO

IT WILL BE AVAILABLE AS PART OF A 3CD DELUXE EDITION, AS A SINGLE CD AND ON DOUBLE VINYL

THE 3CD DELUXE EDITION WILL COMPRISE:

>

CD1 DISINTEGRATION

01 PLAINSONG
02 PICTURES OF YOU
03 CLOSEDOWN
04 LOVESONG
05 LAST DANCE
06 LULLABY
07 FASCINATION STREET
08 PRAYERS FOR RAIN
09 THE SAME DEEP WATER AS YOU
10 DISINTEGRATION
11 HOMESICK
12 UNTITLED

CD2 RARITIES (1988 - 1989)
ALL PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED VERSIONS
(* PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED SONG)

01 PRAYERS FOR RAIN
-RS HOME DEMO (instrumental)-04/88
02 PICTURES OF YOU
03 FASCINATION STREET
04 HOMESICK
-BAND REHEARSAL (instrumental)-06/88
05 FEAR OF GHOSTS
-BAND REHEARSAL (instrumental)-06/88
06 NOHEART
-BAND REHEARSAL (instrumental)-06/88 *
07 ESTEN
-BAND DEMO (instrumental)-09/88 *
08 CLOSEDOWN
-BAND DEMO (instrumental)-09/88
09 LOVESONG
10 2LATE (alt version)
11 THE SAME DEEP WATER AS YOU
12 DISINTEGRATION
13 UNTITLED (alt version)
-STUDIO ROUGH (instrumental)-11/88
14 BABBLE (alt version)
-STUDIO ROUGH (instrumental)-11/88
15 PLAINSONG
-STUDIO ROUGH (guide vocal)-11/88
16 LAST DANCE
17 LULLABY
18 OUT OF MIND
19 DELIRIOUS NIGHT
-ROUGH MIX (vocal)-12/88 *
20 PIRATE SHIPS
-(RS solo) ROUGH MIX (vocal)-12/89 *

CD3 ENTREAT PLUS
RECORDED LIVE AT WEMBLEY ARENA 1989
REMIXED BY RS 2009
(* PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED PERFORMANCE)

01 PLAINSONG *
02 PICTURES OF YOU
03 CLOSEDOWN
04 LOVESONG *
05 LAST DANCE
06 LULLABY *
07 FASCINATION STREET
08 PRAYERS FOR RAIN
09 THE SAME DEEP WATER AS YOU *
10 DISINTEGRATION
11 HOMESICK
12 UNTITLED

>

THE SINGLE CD WILL BE THE 12 TRACK ALBUM, AS WILL THE DOUBLE VINYL

...AND IT IS LIKELY A REMASTERED VERSION OF THE ORIGINAL 8 TRACK 'ENTREAT' LIVE ALBUM WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE ONLINE...

THERE WILL BE A LOT MORE REMASTERED CURE STUFF IN 2010... INCLUDING MIXED UP 2... THE CURE @ THE BBC BOX SET... IN ORANGE AND SHOW ON DVD... AND...

ONWARDS!
RSX

I can almost forgive them for lying about the 4:13 Dream follow-up now :drool:

Remastered Disintegration? I'm hoping this is done well, definitely not rushing out to buy it though they could completely ruin it

Awesome! 3 disc version for me, I'll love having a live version of the full album.

Probably 1-disc version for me. I've come to the conclusion that with most bands, I really only care for the actual album and never listen to the bonus disc more than once or twice.

With the demo stuff, I'd agree, but I do usually listen to live discs quite a bit. The other Cure re-release bonus discs have been a mix of some really poor audio quality demos, really boring demos, and some fantastic live tracks or rarities. I have 3 tracks from Entreat on the Pictures of You single, and they're all fantastic, so I really look forward to finally hearing all the songs from that same show.

The live stuff looks incredible, just hoping the album is good...it's my second favourite album of all time, so they better not go screwing it up

Well, the album will still be good. The problem with this reissue is how brutally unnecessary it is. The demos and shit are there for one-listen-only purposes (somebody already mentioned this, and it's sad but true), pretty much, and Entreat already came out. It's good, yeah. It has been good since the late '80s, though. It's not new or necessary. And as for the album and the remastering (ie, compressing), there's again no need. The fucking liner notes tell you SPECIFICALLY just to turn it up. It was intentionally mixed and mastered as it was, and there's this thing called "volume" that can be adjusted by the listener--regardless of the way one listens to the record, he or she can always just change the volume. This release just seems needless.

I love the album, mind you. It is also one of my all-time favorites. I just can't believe that they're going to be charging $20-$40 for something that we already bought, featuring bonuses including stuff we never really needed to hear and other stuff that we already bought.

I'm not getting how this is any worse or unnecessary than any other reissue for any other album that's ever been released. They're always just easy ways to get your hands on rarities that already existed, live shows that were already out there, etc. I understand if you're just not interested in picking this one up, or a fan of remasters in general, but it's not as if this one is somehow any less necessary than any other reissue that's ever been done. This album is a classic, and most people's favorite Cure album. People have been saying how they can't wait for this remaster since they first began reissuing The Cure's albums, so there's obviously already a huge number of people who'd pick it up even if it didn't have any bonus material.

And by the way, Entreat was 8 songs. This bonus disc will be the full concert/Disintegration album, thus 12 tracks. Those other 4 songs have never been officially released, and the entire show apparently will have been remastered as well.

People have been saying how they can't wait for this remaster since they first began reissuing The Cure's albums, so there's obviously already a huge number of people who'd pick it up even if it didn't have any bonus material.

That really saddens me. Especially the claim that people would buy the exact same record even if it were, literally, the exact same record. I hope that you are wrong, but you can never give people too little credit.

But yeah, I should clarify--I am generally anti-needless remastering/reissuing. It's not just a Cure thing or a Disintegration thing. I have, however, heard that full Entreat plus a few show dozens and dozens of times. And I am generally pretty anti-The Cure, these days, just because Smith is such a titanic and irrelevant douchebag (more and more with each passing year) and because they've sucked (and sucked their poor-but-blind fans dry) for a looooooooooooooooooooong time, now.

Yeah, it's been blatantly obvious that you hate them for years now, so I really don't understand why you even care to open threads about them at this point. If you have nothing remotely positive to say, why constantly piss on other people's parade?

If you're not even willing to consider an open dialogue about the band (thereby fulfilling the purpose of a message board), why constantly piss on other people's parade?

I like remastered stuff because I can put it on shuffle in iTunes and it doesn't go from the right volume to "what the fuck is this? I can't hear it for shit."

I've done that before. It doesn't carry over to the iPod, and it distorts the sound.

That sucks. It carries over to mine with no trouble whatsoever, and really comes in handy for old-timey stuff.

I like remastered stuff because I can put it on shuffle in iTunes and it doesn't go from the right volume to "what the fuck is this? I can't hear it for shit."

You realise you can normalise all the volume on all songs on itunes right? It's a kinda crappy feature, as it makes a lot more sense to do it by album but it's better than nothing. Replaygain is great for lowering the volume on all new albums to something more normal

Shouter, re-reading your post now, I think I took someone what you wrote wrong the the first time (hopefully), as I thought you were implying their "poor" fans must be blind for still liking them, which I took a huge amount of offense to. Hopefully that's not what you were implying, and I'm going to assume for the best that's not what you meant.

Anyways, I still don't see in any way how this reissue is any glaringly worse than any other reissue for any other album by any other band at this point. They all are what they are, I think it's sort of unfair to bash this one for all the negatives that all reissues have.

Anyways, I still don't see in any way how this reissue is any glaringly worse than any other reissue for any other album by any other band at this point. They all are what they are, I think it's sort of unfair to bash this one for all the negatives that all reissues have.

Again, you're right about this (and the rest of your post, too). I am generally (but not always; see the new Jesus Lizard remasters or The Beatles stuff from last month) anti-reissue/-remaster, particularly -remaster. I'm more against this specific one for a few reasons...

1) The Cure has almost exclusively been repackaging and exploiting its old catalogue for literally five years, now. That's embarrassing. This is true of other bands, as well, and that is also embarrassing. They hardly even DO anything, anymore. Note "hardly." When a band begins to cannibalize its fanbase, it is in its death throes.

2) These things are exceedingly expensive, not very well remastered, not very well packaged (given the cost), and as we've agreed on, include very little of genuine, sustainable interest. Is Entreat, in and of itself, worthy of interest? HELL YES, it's awesome. But it's not new, and soundboard-quality, FREE recordings of this show have been in circulation for decades.

3) Robert Smith is an asshole. ;)

And regarding the "blind" fans, I do maintain that anybody who would repurchase an old album, sans ANY extras, simply because he or she can and because it's allegedly "new" is...well, not as smart as a lot of people I know. That doesn't sound crazy. It IS (or would be) crazy. I understand buying the reissues, even if I think they're not worth it, totally unnecessary (again...the volume knob lives on), and not for me--the fact is, there is stuff here worth buying, if you don't already have it (Entreat was a limited release and has been out of print for, like, decades, etc.) and if you really care. It would be crazy to RE-purchase this record, though, if it were just a one-disc, regular-ass version of Disintegration, though. Perhaps I misunderstood your post...? If not, I can't see how we could disagree on this.

I mean, if The Misfits released THE COFFIN II, but the only difference was that it was a new pressing or 10 khz louder, would you buy it? I sure as shit wouldn't. The first one still does the trick.

You realise you can normalise all the volume on all songs on itunes right? It's a kinda crappy feature, as it makes a lot more sense to do it by album but it's better than nothing. Replaygain is great for lowering the volume on all new albums to something more normal

I've always thought things sounded very strange when lowered or raised on iTunes. Like if it's lowered, it's thinner and if it's raised it's distorted. And everything sounds thinner when using the "sound check" option. But maybe that's just me?

Back
Top Bottom