The Beatles Appreciation Thread - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #256
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:21 AM
i would swap piggies for why don't we do it in the road, without hesitation.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #257
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Disagree. Piggies has a nice melody.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #258
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Disagree. Piggies has a nice melody.
Agreed. I love Piggies. In the upper half on the album for me.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:10 PM   #259
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
You're missing our fantasy football draft right now, man.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:29 PM   #260
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Savoy Truffle is dumb lyrically, in a harmless way, but musically I like it, the dirtiness of the riffs and the harmonies in the vocals.

Why Don't We Do It In The Road is just that line over and over again. I'd say that's b-side material.
Doesn't follow verse-chorus-verse structure, so that makes it a b-side?

I Want You (She's So Heavy) doesn't have many more words and that's one of their best tracks, period.

I think what Macca is doing is playful and on an album of anything goes, fits in perfectly. Savoy Truffle sounds like some generic song that would be playing in a 60s party scene in a movie.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #261
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post

I Want You (She's So Heavy) doesn't have many more words and that's one of their best tracks, period.

I think what Macca is doing is playful and on an album of anything goes, fits in perfectly. Savoy Truffle sounds like some generic song that would be playing in a 60s party scene in a movie.
It doesn't having anything to do with verse-chorus-verse. It's just that it's boring(to me). Yes, I Want You only has one or two lines of lyrics as well, but musically it's vastly more interesting, Lennon delivers the line differently every time, and the harmonies in the 'she's so heavy' refrains, and the infectious guitar line that can go on forever. I know you love I Want You so I don't have to tell you how great it is. I just can't see comparing it to Why Don't at all.

Let's just agree to disagree about Savoy Truffle. Lyrically it's fluff but musically it does it for me.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #262
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:21 AM
Quote:

ooo so close. i was 100% with you until the savoy truffle remark.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:04 PM   #263
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Why Don't We Do It In The Road? is one of my fav Macca tracks. Genuinely a curveball and not in a forced way.
Wouldn't call it one of my favorite tracks from him, but I do like it a lot. Great groove on it.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #264
Blue Crack Addict

Ever since my first listen of The White Album in full when I was 20 or so, Why Don't We Do It In The Road? has been one of my least favorite songs. There are only a few I'd rate lower, to be honest. The only thing that stands out on it, to me, is the bass line. Musically it reminds me of another Beatles song that's among my least favorite on its album: Good Day Sunshine. Only much less interesting vocals on the former.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:26 PM   #265
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Why Don't We Do It In The Road?...reminds me of another Beatles song that's among my least favorite on its album: Good Day Sunshine.
Explain.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:55 PM   #266
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Custom Let It Be time...

I went back and looked at Laz's custom Let It Be. He attempted to create something that would be in keeping with the original(i.e. pre-Spector) spirit of the project. It does a pretty good job of doing that, but I went in a different direction, preferring to keep as much of the original 1970 Let It Be album as possible. Simply put, I like the Spector stuff. I'm not using a single Naked version here. I went pretty minimalist in terms of length.

All original album versions unless stated otherwise.

1. Get Back
2. Dig A Pony
3. I've Got A Feeling
4. I Me Mine
5. Let It Be

6. Two Of Us
7. For You Blue
8. Don't Let Me Down(Past Masters Version)
9. The Long And Winding Road
10. Across The Universe(Past Masters/Wildlife Version)

I like Get Back as an opener, as it's got a momentum to it that gives the record energy from the very start. Dig A Pony continues this. I feel that I've Got A Feeling and I Me Mine go very well together. I've Got A Feeling is perhaps the last example of Paul and John really collaborating, with John taking the 'every has a...' verses. I Me Mine is my favorite George track on the record, underrated imo, an is one of the tracks where I just can't bare to lose the Spector sound. I think the string orchestration at the end leads perfectly into the big closer of side A, Let It Be. I'm using the album version here - I know some prefer the more restrained guitar solo of the Past Masters version, but the album version with the all out solo is it for me. The title track was going to close one side or the other, and ultimately, I liked TLAWR better as a grand finale.

Two Of Us opens side B(it really has to open one side or another given the intro and the way its bittersweet nature is a window into the whole time period), setting the tone for the second half of the record. Laz did not include For You Blue on his Let It Be, saying that he thought it was one of the weakest tracks the band ever recorded. Simply put, I disagree. It has a really laid back, breezy vibe, and a relaxed melody, and it's chilled-out nature makes for a good break in the intensity before Don't Let Me Down. DLMD is a great track and I have no idea why it was left off the original album. Lennon delivers a really strong performance here. I put it in this placement because I think the keyboard fill at the end leads nicely into TLAWR.

The finale is a one-two punch, TLAWR+Across The Universe. Laz used the latter as a sort of coda to the finale of the title track in his list, and I thought it was a good move, so I used it as a coda to TLAWR.

In the Naked vs Original debates, perhaps no track has been debated more than TLAWR. I know there are people who couldn't stand the Spector version, who literally were never able to enjoy the song until Naked was released. I know McCartney himself hates the Spector version. I will even admit that it was sort of a crappy thing for John to do, to hire someone to embellish Paul's songs without Paul's knowledge(nothing wrong with John having his own songs embellished). All that said, for me, it has to be the Spector version. The song feels neutered of its emotional punch for me without the huge, swelling orchestration. In particular, that final instrumental break before the final verses, in the Naked version it sounds like a toy piano or something, whereas the strings in the original are majestic. Also, apart from Spector altogether, in the original, at the very end, Paul sings 'yeah yeah yeah yeah' almost under his breath, which I've always loved, and that is absent on the Naked version. So, yeah, gotta be the original for me.

I'm using the Past Masters/Wildlife version of Across The Universe, because the added background vocals/harmonies absence in the other versions is glaring to me.

I cut One After 909 because, frankly, it just doesn't do much for me. Kind of bland despite its energy. I also cut the snippets - Dig It and Maggie Mae.

So that's a pretty slim, sub-40 minute album.

Once I completed it, in an attempt to beef it up a little, I tried adding The Ballad Of John And Yoko and Old Brown Shoe.

1. Get Back
2. Dig A Pony
3. Old Brown Shoe
4. I've Got A Feeling
5. I Me Mine
6. Let It Be

7. Two Of Us
8. For You Blue
9. The Ballad Of John And Yoko
10. Don't Let Me Down
11. The Long And Winding Road
12. Across The Universe

Which works fairly well, I think, though to be honest, while both Ballad and Brown Shoe are enjoyable tracks, I could listen to the shorter 10-track version and not miss them all that much.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:42 PM   #267
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Explain.
Which part? That I do not like Good Day Sunshine very much (as compared to the rest of Revolver) or that the music on Good Day Sunshine reminds me of the music on Why Don't We Do It In The Road?
Old 09-08-2016, 12:30 AM   #268
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Which part? That I do not like Good Day Sunshine very much (as compared to the rest of Revolver) or that the music on Good Day Sunshine reminds me of the music on Why Don't We Do It In The Road?

The latter

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:34 AM   #269
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
In particular, that final instrumental break before the final verses, in the Naked version it sounds like a toy piano or something, whereas the strings in the original are majestic.

I don't like that part either. But as much as Macca annoys me, I was trying to stay close to artist intention. Let's just say that it's taking a while to adjust to the stripped-down version.

The other argument is that there's already a big, sentimental number in Let It Be, and making Winding Road an overproduction as well is perhaps too much on one album. I enjoy the strings as well, I think it's the choir vocals where it goes too far.

Quote:
Once I completed it, in an attempt to beef it up a little, I tried adding The Ballad Of John And Yoko and Old Brown Shoe.

1. Get Back
2. Dig A Pony
3. Old Brown Shoe
4. I've Got A Feeling
5. I Me Mine
6. Let It Be

7. Two Of Us
8. For You Blue
9. The Ballad Of John And Yoko
10. Don't Let Me Down
11. The Long And Winding Road
12. Across The Universe

Which works fairly well, I think, though to be honest, while both Ballad and Brown Shoe are enjoyable tracks, I could listen to the shorter 10-track version and not miss them all that much.
We'll have to disagree again here because I think The Ballad of John & Yoko is my favorite from these entire sessions. Such a catchy song, with funny as well as personal lyrics. Plus I love the story about Paul helping John on this one and the two playing all the instruments without the others.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:01 AM   #270
Blue Crack Addict

The Beatles Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Let It Be. I'm using the album version here - I know some prefer the more restrained guitar solo of the Past Masters version, but the album version with the all out solo is it for me .

Put me down as one of those in favor of the single version. I think the guitar solo on the album version totally disrupts the flow of the song.

I tend to prefer a lot of the Naked versions, which might place me in the minority here, not sure. The songs are mixed better to my ears, and the sparseness of the arrangements in TLAWR and ATU are more powerful.

For Get Back, Let It Be, and Don't Bring Me Down, I use Past Masters. I've Got A Feeling is the original.

And I like Dig It and Maggie Mae. Gotta leave some of the spontaneity on the album intact.

Tags
beatles, the beatles