The B&C Best Albums of 2013 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Northern New Jersey, which is where my mom is from (but ive never lived). Apparently the massholes haven't changed me yet!

What does that have to do with best albums of the year, though?

And I even managed to post this in a completely different thread than I intended.

I blame the new app, and I blame avoiding FYM for not knowing y'all were already talking about it.

I figured you meant it for rmt. I've seen a handful of posts here that made me think I was in rmt, and was chalking it up to the updated app (I also assumed that posts made from it are the ones mid-thread that actually show the title in the header on their posts).

I'm having so much trouble ranking shit this year. Last year was relatively easy. This year Sigur Ros, National, Yeezy, Kurt Vile, Disclosure, JT all put out albums that could be my number one.

I wrote up a whole bunch on 20 of my fav songs for the year here. Have a read if you're bored. Deep house was the winner. Best Songs of 2013 | ramblings from djp

Peef have you got a deadline in mind for albums?
That was a nice read. LM's write-up was good as well.

:up: for putting If I Had a Tail in there. The Bonobo track is quality too. I wonder why I still haven't listened to his latest album. The same can be said for Kurt Vile. It seems to be getting lots of praise.

If I Had a Tail out of all songs on Like Clockwork? It's a good catchy song, but there are more powerful tracks on that album. I Appear Missing is the album's standout.

The Kurt Vile album was good, it would make my list if I was bothering with a list this year.

If I Had a Tail out of all songs on Like Clockwork? It's a good catchy song, but there are more powerful tracks on that album. I Appear Missing is the album's standout.

It was the song closest to my tastes, I guess. The album as a whole is great, but that tune was my favourite from the very start.

Great write-up, man. I'm in the process of one as well, and hoping to see a few more, it would be a shame to just have a bunch of lists with no thoughts.

Stoked to see Answer on your fav songs list, I love that song even if Wolf turned out to be pretty crappy. And I'm glad my fav-albums-not-released-during-the-year thing has caught on.

I'd have called Wakin on a Pretty Day quasi-title track, rather than psuedo.

Great write-up, LM, and great pick at #1. There are a few on there that I will need to give a spin, especially the No Joy album.

:up: for putting If I Had a Tail in there. The Bonobo track is quality too. I wonder why I still haven't listened to his latest album. The same can be said for Kurt Vile. It seems to be getting lots of praise.

Thanks for reading :up: It was fun to do this year, lots of variety and I made it a priority to spend a lot of time with those albums.

As far as the best Like Clockwork track goes, I would take My God Is the Sun. That outro is fucking badass.

The North Borders is really good man. Cirrus is the standout for me but the rest of it is really consistent if you ask me. Same can be said of Kurt Vile.

Full band Bonobo was one of my favorite shows this year. I probably should've revisited the album more.

Listening again right now, and yeah, it's excellent. Certainly helping me cope with this ludicrously crowded train to New York.

I'm working on my albums list, but here are my favorite songs of the year:

1. Autre Ne Veut - Play By Play
2. Rhye - Open
3. Vampire Weekend - Hannah Hunt
4. Arcade Fire - Afterlife
5. Haim - Falling
6. Los Campesinos - Avocado, Baby
7. Phosphorescent - Song for Zula
8. Kanye West - Bound 2
9. James Blake - Voyeur
10. Daft Punk - Get Lucky
11. Sigur Ros - Ísjaki
12. Eleanor Friedberger - She's a Mirror
13. Sky Ferreira - I Blame Myself
14. Deerhunter - Back In The Middle.
15. Yo La Tengo - Ohm
16. Washed Out - Don't Give Up
17. Atoms for Peace - Ingenue
18. Kurt Vile - Walkin' on a Pretty Day
19. Chvrches - The Mother We Share
20. Goldfrapp - Drew

Honorable mentions

The National - Humiliation
Okkervil River - Deep Down The Deep River
Justin Timberlake - Suit & Tie
Chelsea Wolfe - The Warden

Was gonna post my picks today until I peeked through a couple year-end lists and found some albums to pilfer through.

Vampire Weekend being #1 on Pitchfork was my laugh of the day. I like the album quite a bit and it may even show up on my list, but good lord.

Here goes. I was thinking of posting some random Amazon reviews, but ultimately I decided to write my own.

1. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: Push the Sky Away (15 points)

Venture into the U2-specific parts of this forum, and you’re bound to see several comments about how one should not expect anything new of Bono, Edge, and co. How could you when they have already explored so much territory over their thirty-odd years as a band? Mr. Nick Cave is here to demonstrate how patently absurd that excuse is. Every bit the industry veteran as U2, Cave has been even more dynamic and creatively restless throughout his career, dealing in everything from bittersweet piano balladeering to depraved post-punk rampages. And yet with Push the Sky Away, over three decades into his career, he has put out his most accomplished and moving album to date. In fact, to find an album this fully-realized, this well-executed, this self-assured, one has to go all the way back to 1994 and Portishead’s Dummy. Simply put, Cave has made the finest album of the last twenty years.

The trick lies in how Push the Sky Away sustains its frayed, trembling mood without ever losing its momentum or inspiration. Multi-instrumentalist Warren Ellis is arguably the MVP in this regard, his violin flourishes adding depth and warmth to songs where otherwise Cave’s baritone vocals might mire them in total darkness – see especially ‘We Real Cool” in this sense. The sequencing too keeps the listener in anticipation: tracks like “We No Who U R” and “Water’s Edge” feel at first like they are being restrained, but the resulting tension is such that when album highlight “Jubilee Street” moves into high gear, the catharsis is enough to kick your goddamned head in. A similar dynamic is at play in “Higgs Boson Blues”: a hypnotic riff and stream-of-consciousness vocals evoke an opiated haze until a sudden burst of energy toward the seven-minute mark rouses both Cave and the listener from their torpor.

In his review, LemonMelon mentioned the impressionistic quality of the lyrics; I would echo that observation. “Higgs Boson Blues” is again illustrative in this regard. Detached observations from a man who has seen and done it all flit in and out of the picture: a dimly-lit European road, a crossroads in Mississippi, Miley Cyrus on safari. “Finishing Jubilee Street” takes the theme one step further, recounting in lurid detail a dream Cave had immediately after completing the track in question. It’s one of the most inventive tracks of the year and indicative of a man who remains as vital a force in music as he has ever been: explorative, uncensored, and, as “Jubilee Street” would have it, beyond recrimination.

2. The National: Trouble Will Find Me (13 points)

“Hey Joe, sorry I hurt you, but they say love is a virtue, don’t they?” “Sea of Love,” like Trouble Will Find Me as a whole, sees the saga of Matt Berninger continue. After breaking into the professional world on Alligator and coming to grips with adult responsibilities on Boxer and High Violet, he’s now accepting his choices – and mistakes – on the surface but in reality fighting mightily to live with them. This fundamental tension between a stable exterior and a unraveling interior is what drives Trouble – perhaps a familiar theme for Matt, but now his bandmates have created a musical landscape that encapsulates it in more subtlety and beauty than any entry in the band’s catalogue. As always, the Devendorf brothers ground the songs in lockstep rhythms, allowing the Dessners free range to experiment with textures and flourishes. “This Is the Last Time,” for example, moves effortlessly into a brooding outro accented with a lovely vocal from Annie Clark, while “I Need My Girl” uses impeccably-placed synth lines to accentuate the gentle guitar line at the heart of the song. “Pink Rabbits” adds another change of pace, following the lead of recent piano ballads like “You Were a Kindness” but distinguishing itself through a just slightly off-kilter lead riff and a soaring hook in the outro that will stick in your head for days.

Ultimately, though, Matt is front-and-center, again delivering a set of alternately self-deprecating and heartbreaking lyrics about the disappointments and frustrations embedded in daily life. It’s the rare vocalist who can take a line as simple as “I can’t blame you for losing your mind for a little while – so did I” and make it sound like a manifesto about the inevitability of growing apart. It’s “Don’t the Swallow the Cap,” though, that might best encapsulate Matt as a lyricist and vocalist: putting forward the image of self-assurance but never quite feeling comfortable in his own skin; wanting to reach out to certain people in his life but never quite feeling confident enough to do so. To be sure, it’s not a happy message, but it is comforting in the sense of a band making honest music with total conviction and no signs of slowing down.

3. Tim Hecker: Virgins (12 points)

Tim Hecker’s music is strongly associated with place for me. Though I admired the first album I heard from him – 2011’s Ravedeath, 1972 – on the first few spins, I didn’t completely absorb it until I gave it a careful listen while staring at the winter ocean out the window of a plane. So it was as well with Virgins, an album that seemed perfectly suited to a frantic taxi ride through New York City on an overcast, rainy December afternoon. Virgins takes the same basic approach as its predecessor – acoustic instrumentation surrounded by heavily-processed soundscapes – but where Ravedeath felt expansive, Virgins is claustrophobic, merging the live and processed instrumentation in confrontation rather than harmony. “Stab Variation,” for example, is an appropriate song title given the slashing pianos that compete with increasingly insistent drones; the two “Virginal” tracks follow suit, while “Stigmata” turns up the distortion such that it suffocates the keys at the foundation of the track.

Hecker has always had an ear for balance; after the unrelenting intensity of side one, he wisely opens side two with a pair of understated ambient pieces that incorporate a variety of acoustic instruments: the flutes on “Amps, Drugs, Harmonium,” for instance, go a long way toward lifting the mood, but there’s enough of an ominous quality on it and “Incense at Abu Ghraib” to keep the listener in anticipation of the sonic deluge to follow. The dexterity with which he moves between these different soundscapes is second to none – I’d call this the finest electronica album of the year, but what Hecker is doing here stands apart from that genre or anything else I’ve heard. Perhaps it’s not for everyone, but in the right environment it will not fail to move you.

4. James Blake: Overgrown (10 points)

Not only is “Retrograde” one of the finest songs of the year, but it also encapsulates the growth James Blake has made between his eponymous debut and this year’s Overgrown. Whereas the debut relied almost entirely on open space as a backdrop for his soulful vocals, Overgrown orchestrates textures and sounds to accompany that voice. The hummed melody that introduces “Retrograde” gives way to an understated vocal before exploding into a wall of synths, a type of crescendo nowhere to be found on the debut. When Blake gets this formula right, as on “Digital Lion,” “Voyeur,” and the aforementioned “Retrograde,” the results are spellbinding: lush arrangements that develop fluidly and pitch-perfect vocals that emphasize his range without being showy. He still has that knack for sparse, spacious arrangements as well, but he is more willing now to throw twists into them, as on the guest verse from RZA on “Take a Fall for Me.” The sum of these parts is an album that retains the strengths of its predecessor while adding vital elements to the mix – no sophomore slump to be found here.

5. Janelle Monáe: The Electric Lady (10 points)

Janelle Monáe had a formidable task in following up on one of the most eclectic and dazzling debut LPs in years, 2010’s The ArchAndroid. On The Electric Lady, however, the dauntless Monáe delivers on all counts. The highs, like “Primetime” and “Electric Lady,” are higher, the genre exercises, like “Look into My Eyes,” have more personality, and the guest spots, like Prince on “Givin’ Em What They Love,” burn brighter. Monáe herself is in tremendous voice, showing raw power when necessary but also dialing it back to work in harmony with her collaborators – again, “Primetime” serves as an example. And though I can’t claim fully to understand the main concept – she’s a fugitive robot with a radio show, I gather? – the whole thing is presented with such gusto that it works. Between Monáe and Jessie Ware, R&B now has two innovative women with star power to spare who look poised to bring the genre the critical respect it has been lacking in recent years.

6. My Bloody Valentine: mbv (8 points)

Despite it’s twenty-two year gestation period, mbv in many respects feels like it could have been released a year after Loveless. Opener “She Found Now,” with its fuzzed-out guitars and sedate, billowing vocals, is in many respects a direct extension of Loveless, as are “Only Tomorrow” and “Who Sees You.” The next track is where things get tricky. “Is This & Yes” breaks up the haze with sparkling textures and, dare I say it, clarity in the arrangement. It’s a clever gambit from Kevin Shields and co. to give the listener something familiar and immediately fulfilling before changing the dynamic a bit and letting the rest of the album move in new directions. The end result is something that will both remind the listener of My Bloody Valentine’s titanic legacy and serve as a new benchmark for bands who seek to imitate them.

7. Cut Copy: Free Your Mind (7 points)

“Are you ready to dance?!” asked Cut Copy frontman Dan Whitford when I saw them in November. When the band is about to launch into something as propulsive and invigorating as “Let Me Show You Love,” the only appropriate answer to that question is “fuck yes.” I’m not one to gravitate toward joyous music, but Free Your Mind is just too insistent on people having fun for me not to give in to its incurable optimism. The dark currents that ran under the surface on albums past have gone in favor of bright piano lines and ebullient backing vocals, but the beats and hooks are still there in excess: “We Are Explorers” has a lead synth line that will stay with you for days on end, while “In Memory Capsule” floats along effortlessly before introducing a subtle but no less infectious keyboard riff into the bridge and chorus. Free Your Mind might not add anything particularly new to the Cut Copy formula, but it executes that formula so well that, while the record is spinning, you won’t want them to try anything else.

8. Deerhunter: Monomania (5 points)

There is something I find endearing about artists that do whatever the hell they want. Deerhunter certainly fit that bill. Even considering these are the guys who once played an hour-long, spontaneous rendition of “My Sharona” at a concert, who would have guessed that the follow-up to an album as immaculately-produced and multi-layered as Halcyon Digest would be the visceral, almost animalistic assault of distorted guitars and detached vocals that is Monomania? There is a theme somewhere in these songs – tracks like “Dream Captain” and “Pensacola,” for example, seem to be aiming for some kind of acid-soaked Beach Boys vibe – but in general the songs work because the commitment to the vision is so complete: a couple of guys with a bunch of amps playing their own frenetic brand of garage rock. It’s vibrant, it’s energetic, and, above all else, it’s raw. Such albums need to come around more often.

9. Haim: Days Are Gone (5 points)

As Don Draper informs us at the end of season one of Mad Men, nostalgia means “the pain from an old wound.” But, he continues, that pain brings with it a sense of vitality. So it is with Days Are Gone. It plays like the best “favorites of the 80s” radio station you’ll ever hear, yet underneath that sugary, hook-laden exterior are songs shot through with longing and regret. Highlights “Falling” and “If I Could Change Your Mind” could get along on the strength of their melodies alone, but instead they use the interplay between the sisters’ voices to great effect in mimicking the way desires and frustrations can reverberate in your mind. That might sound like over-intellectualizing these songs, but I think at its core this is intelligent music both in craft and concept. While that quality might lead to laughable tags like “post-Haim world,” it’s also refreshing to hear pop music this confident and well-conceptualized.

10. Julianna Barwick: Nepenthe (5 points)

The voice is clearly at the forefront of Nepenthe, on most tracks mutli-tracked and overlaid so as to create the effect of a full-on choir. And what a voice it is: subtle but powerful, inviting but ethereal. The most immediate comparison might be Cocteau Twins, as both involve barely-intelligible vocals that function primarily as impressions rather than direct statements. Also as with Cocteau Twins, though, it’s the gentle instrumental flourishes around the voice that really give Nepenthe its power. The holistic quality of “Harbinger,” for example, disguises how much mileage the track covers over its five-minute runtime, incorporating everything from windchimes to pianos. Another standout track, “Pyrrhic,” similarly builds in intensity through meticulously constructed layers in both voice and instrumentation. So while on first listen the album might come across as merely pretty, repeated spins give way to more and more discoveries, eventually uncovering an album of considerable depth and ambition.

11. The Flaming Lips: The Terror (3 points)

After not being particularly taken with their most lauded albums like The Soft Bulletin, The Lips now have entries on my best-of lists in two straight years. The Terror offers more of the freak-psychedelia side of these guys that I really love, full of pulsating rhythms and heavily-treated vocals. Bonus points as well for what I take to be a shout-out to Pink Floyd’s More on the album cover.

12. Savages: Silence Yourself (2 points)

Post-punk lives again. Savages are nothing if not fully committed to raucous but detached songs of indignation. The guitar riff that cuts “Strife” in half is everything you need to know about this album: abrasive, unapologetic passion.

13. Rhye: Woman (2 points)

Woman is probably the most distinctive album of the year in terms of both the androgynous vocals of singer Milosh and the silky character of the grooves and production. Ultimately, though, the songs are at the core of the album’s quality, with “The Fall” and “Last Dance” counting among the year’s best.

14. Disclosure: Settle (2 points)

Disclosure managed one of the finest albums of the year despite leaving their best song, “Apollo,” off the album. These are two prodigiously talented blokes whose ear for a danceable beat and ability to pair guest vocalists impeccably with their songs should establish a standard for this particular brand of dance music for years to come.

15. John Grant: Pale Green Ghosts (1 point)

This is a late-year listen that thoroughly impressed me. The singer-songwriter vocal approach melds surprisingly well with the electro foundations to many of the songs, and the wry character of the lyrics, as on “I Hate This Fucking Town,” create an atmosphere at once dour and alluring.

Honorable Mention:

Arcade Fire, Reflektor
Julia Holter, Loud City Song
Kanye West, Yeezus
The Knife, Shaking the Habitual
Los Campesinos!: No Blues

Superlatives:

Best album cover: Flaming Lips, The Terror
Worst album cover: Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Mosquito
Most average album: Phoenix, Bankrupt!
Worst album: N/A (I didn't hear anything truly awful this year)
Most overrated album: Deafheaven, Sunbather
Most overlooked album: Patty Griffin, American Kid
Most pleasant surprise: Paul McCartney, New
Best EP: Grizzly Bear, Shields B-Sides
Best compilation: After Dark 2
Best reissue: Velvet Underground, White Light / White Heat
Best track of the year: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Jubilee Street
Worst track of the year: Zedd & Foxes, Clarity
Guitar track of the year: Kurt Vile, Wakin' on a Pretty Day
Vocal track of the year: James Blake, Retrograde
Most danceable track of the year: Disclosure, Apollo
Best guest spot: David Bowie for Arcade Fire, Reflektor
Best line of the year: Kanye West, "Hurry up with my damn croissants"
Best thing from the past I discovered this year: Bob Dylan, Time out of Mind

Wow, exciting call re Push the Sky Away. I cannot agree at all, but it is a great album. Loved reading your writeups iYup, you are very gifted at describing music without pomposity.

That puts us at eight lists and it's not even the new year. Last year we ended up with 25 lists, so hopefully we can beat that this time around.

Fuck, they were some solid album reviews Iron Yuppie. Good stuff! I'd love to see how you'd go at writing a scathing review of an album. Would be riveting.

The new Beyoncé record may crack my Top 20. Not that I'm trying to jump on the "Beyoncé is a flawless goddess" bandwagon or that I'm being paid by the Illuminati to enjoy it. They've already got their own paid representatives.

Fuck, they were some solid album reviews Iron Yuppie. Good stuff! I'd love to see how you'd go at writing a scathing review of an album. Would be riveting.
Indeed.

These write-ups make me jealous of other people's writing skills.

Loved reading your writeups iYup, you are very gifted at describing music without pomposity.

That was an enjoyable read, iYup. I always like the superlatives section as well.

Fuck, they were some solid album reviews Iron Yuppie. Good stuff!

Indeed.

These write-ups make me jealous of other people's writing skills.

Thanks, All. Glad you found them entertaining. Like LM said, it's great to write about something you love.

l

Ok, here goes.

Best 15 albums of 2013:
1. Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest (15)
2. Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork... (13)
3. The National - Trouble Will Find Me (11)
4. Darkside - Psychic (9)
5. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (8)
6. The Knife - Shaking the Habitual (8)
7. The Strokes - Comedown Machine (6)
8. The Range - Nonfiction (6)
9. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience pt. 1 (6)
10. Arcade Fire - Reflektor (5)
11. Vuurwerk - Me+One (4)
12. The Weeknd - Kiss Land (3)
13. The Flaming Lips - The Terror (3)
14. Savages - Silence Yourself (2)
15. Kanye West - Yeezus (1)

Honorable mentions:
Flying Horseman - City Same City
Sigur Ros - Kveikur
Julia Holter - Loud City Song
James Holden - The Inheritors
Local Natives - Hummingbird
Arctic Monkeys - AM
Jon Hopkins - Immunity

Albums that might have made the top 15 if I'd started listening to them earlier:
John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts
Cut Copy - Free Your Mind

Album that wouldn't have been so high on my list had I had not been addicted to it these past few weeks:
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Best album by a Belgian artist that everyone should listen to:
Vuurwerk - Me+One

Best album cover:
The Flaming Lips - The Terror

Worst album cover:
James Blake - Overgrown

Most disappointing album:
Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience pt. 2

Most disappointing album based on the awesome singles:
Disclosure - Settle

Top five tracks of 2013:
The National - This Is the Last Time
James Holden - Renata
Disclosure - When A Fire Starts to Burn
Daft Punk - Get Lucky
Boards of Canada - Come to Dust

Best artists I discovered this year:
Blur
Autechre

lmao

anyway here's my dumb list (top 10 because I haven't listened to 15 albums this year and a top 12/13 isn't as good as a top 10)

Sigur Ros - Kveikur [15]
Manics - Rewind the Film [14]
Mumiy Troll - SOS Matrosu [12]
Primal Scream - More Light [12]
Arcade Fire - Reflektor [11]
Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork [10]
My Bloody Valentine - mbv [9]
Myslovitz - 1.577 [7]
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories [5]
Cut Copy - Free Your Mind [5]

Alright, might as well get this done before the end of the year.

Favorite albums:

1. The National - Trouble Will Find Me (13)
2. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City (12)
3. Los Campesinos! - No Blues (11)
4. Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety (10)
5. Haim - Days Are Gone (9)
6. Kanye West - Yeezus (9)
7. Okkervil River - The Silver Gymnasium (8)
8. Chvrches - The Bones of What You Believe (7)
9. My Bloody Valentine - mbv (5)
10. Eleanor Friedberger - Personal Record (5)
11. Rhye - Woman (4)
12. Sigur Rós – Kveikur (2)
13. Arcade Fire -Reflektor (2)
14. Cut Copy - Free Your Mind (2)
15. Deerhunter - Monomania (1)

The next 10 would be:

16. Phosphorescent - Muchacho
17. Neko Case - The Worse Things Get...
18. Yo La Tengo - Fade
19. Flaming Lips - The Terror
20. James Blake - Overgrown
21. Washed Out – Paracosm
22. Julia Holter - Loud City Song
23. Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Daze
24. Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt
25. Janelle Monáe - The Electric Lady

Honorable mentions:

Atoms for Peace - Amok
Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
Daft Punk – Random Access Memories
Justin Timberlake – The 20/20 Experience (Part 1)
David Bowie - The Next Day
Chelsea Wolfe - Pain is Beauty
Savages - Silence Yourself
MGMT - MGMT

Album that everyone seemed to love and I found meh: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away.

Biggest disappointments: Phoenix - Bankrupt!, The Strokes - Comedown Machine, Franz Ferdinand - Right Thoughts...

Best debut: Haim - Days Are Gone.

Back
Top Bottom