Tame Impala - Lonerism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finally listened to this record. It's almost as good as this thread says it is. I think with a few more listens, I'll agree with the hype. I'm super excited to see them now. (Thanks to LeMel for giving me the go-ahead to buy the ticket.)

This gets better with every listen. Easily album of the year. There's so much going on that something new stands out ever time.

The riff on Mind Mischief is killer.

This album hit me immediately and is growing on me. I don't think this has happened with an album since the Fleet Foxes debut.

I seem to recall you not liking Fleet Foxes at first.

That was as a band because my viewpoint was... tainted. The lead singer in my band hated them. Then my first listen of the Sun Giant EP didn't inspire me to delve deeper at that point whatsoever (it was not the actual Sun Giant EP, but the alternate version with the alternate version of Mykonos and with Isles). I didn't listen to intently. Then I heard Blue Ridge Mountains and was blown away, and subsequently listened to the debut album and loved it right away. After that, the Sun Giant EP grew on me.

when we do our year end rankings, I'm tempted to go 1a and 1b with this and Lotus Plaza. Right now I'd rank this ahead of Lotus Plaza but it's hard to judge considering one album came out a half a year before the other.

This is definitely my number one. Lotus Plaza will be in my top 10 though. Both it and it's counterpart (to me) by Real Estate.

Is it really fair to say an album is easily the best of the year after having it only a few days? I understand everyone listens to music differently, but that seems like a bit of a snap judgment to me.

I think I prefer the first album, but I'm enjoying this one quite a bit still. Finally got me to actually purchase the first album too, so that's good.

iron yuppie said:
Is it really fair to say an album is easily the best of the year after having it only a few days? I understand everyone listens to music differently, but that seems like a bit of a snap judgment to me.

Well, some of us have been listening to it regularly for about a month now. :wink:

Sometimes you just know. :shrug:

I remedied that today and warning, this is a cobbler post.

So I went down to First Choice to grab two slabs of Carlton Dry (I owed Dad one) and a slab of coke (which I also owed). I had the full intention of listening to Lonerism in my backyard, on my swingy chair, with a few brews. But due to the funeral I had been listening to Mr Carter by Lil Wayne and Jay-Z all day, because the bloke who passed away loved that song. So I wasn't sure if I was in the mood for Lonerism. Luckily, halfway through Enders Toi and a beer (I've deleted Be Above It from my iTunes) I realised I was definitely in the mood. I sipped on a few beers and read the lyrics along with listening, and as much as I liked the album before, this time I loved it even more. A lot of the lyrics resonate with me (probably not a good thing, but eh) and it is just song after song after song of rolling psychedelic rock goodness. One of the biggest compliments I can pay this album is that I don't really enjoy Elephant when it comes on as much as it should - it's an outstanding song but it's kind of at odds with the rest of the album. The flow is just impeccable. The biggest problem I have with this album, literally, is that She Just Won't Believe Me only goes for 57 seconds. And the entire time my young dog Jack, who is usually spastic, sat next to me on the swingy chair chewing on a bone.

Anyway, I got to the end of the album, and I went back to Music To Walk Home By, and played it through to Feels Like We Only Go Backwards. And then I skipped ahead to She Just Won't Believe Me and Nothing That Has Happened So Far Has Been Anything We Could Control. Then I went back to the beginning again. Of course on this run through the album I wasn't reading the lyrics. I was walking around the backyard, playing with the dog, sitting on top of our caravan, looking out over the vast, uninhabited paddock behind our house. My younger sister joined me for a while.

Eventually I got really hungry and went inside and stopped listening. I'm just posting this because I cannot remember the last time I have finished a 50+ minute album and then immediately felt like listening to it all over again. Right now I am thinking I have my AOTY, and it's no longer Frank Ocean.

All in all, this is a long-winded way of asking what do you guys think of the lyrics? I know they kind of don't matter with this album and you can't understand what he's saying anyway, but for anyone else who has read along I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

I don't understand why you don't like Be Above It. Is it because of the "gottabeaboveit, gottabeaboveit..." etc thing? It's not among the stronger songs, but I still really enjoy it. With She Just Won't Believe Me, I don't mind that it's short. It reminds me of an opposing thought from I Want You (She's So Heavy) in that it just cuts. But this one is too short instead of too long. I don't mind this at all.

For anyone who hasn't heard it, this is a great song off the Flaming Lips & Heady Fwends album, probably the best.

The Flaming Lips-children of the moon(feat tame impala) - YouTube

I don't understand why you don't like Be Above It. Is it because of the "gottabeaboveit, gottabeaboveit..." etc thing? It's not among the stronger songs, but I still really enjoy it. With She Just Won't Believe Me, I don't mind that it's short. It reminds me of an opposing thought from I Want You (She's So Heavy) in that it just cuts. But this one is too short instead of too long. I don't mind this at all.

It gets better as it goes along, but the first minute or so really annoys me, and Enders Toi just works really well as the first track, for me.

Thank you so much Padj :heart:

"We're not worthy of Andre" :heart:

Better than a pointless Neil Young cover.

You don't open an album with a cover of an artist who also opened up their own album with the SAME FUCKING SONG.

Is there anywhere to purchase lossless versions or physical copies of the b-sides and/or bonus tracks? I really, really want Led Zeppelin in lossless!

The show was amazing.
Be Above It proved itself to be an awesome live opener. It sounds way better live. The songs of the new album all sounded pretty good, particularly Music To Walk Home By. They played pretty much all my favorite songs, but the ones I liked better were those I didn't expect to enjoy so much, like Half Glass of Wine.
Elephant was unbelievable. Kevin Parker pretended to faint at the end of the song. He just laid still for about 30 seconds before the last "YEAH". Good stuff.
Yeah, they're kinda one of my favorite bands right now.
Setlist:

Be Above It
Endors Toi
Solitude Is Bliss
It Is Not Meant To Be
Music to Walk Home By
Elephant
Feels Like We Only Go Backwards
Alter Ego
Mind Mischief
Why Won't You Make Up Your Mind?
Desire Be Desire Go
Keep on Lying
Apocalypse Dreams
Encore:
Half Full Glass Of Wine

I pronounce it "Endor Twa". I'm not sure about the meaning though. I put you to sleep?

I'm sure it surprises no one I pronounce it Enders Toy.

I'm so depressed I can't see them in December. I bet the next time they do a Melbourne show it'll be like $80.

Back
Top Bottom