Tame Impala - Lonerism - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2015, 09:30 AM   #466
45:33

Local Time: 01:37 PM
You did it recently, maybe last year, but I can't remember what for. Anyway. I've only had one listen but I can't really see how this has been so divisive. There are obvious differences between the first two and this one but there's also a lot of similarities, distant, echoey vocals, washes of sound with about five different instruments playing at once, harmonies, sad-yet-effortlessly feelgood vocals/lyrics... it's still unmistakeably a Tame Impala record.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:10 PM   #467
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 06:37 PM
I think people have the impression that this record uses more synths and less guitars, which I would guess is probably true without actually working out the percentages. Even still, I agree this absolutely sounds like a Tame Impala record, and a good one at that. Past Lives is pretty WTF, but even it has its high points. But a 9.3...?

This year I have decided I would much rather pay $18 for 24-bit digital than $25 for vinyl, which I can never seem to find time to listen to anyway. But I can vouch for Cobbler's quick payments, even for some pretty ridiculous international shipping rates.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:40 PM   #468

I wasn't surprised by that score. Pitchfork LOVE it when a guitar band goes more pop.

I just really want this. It looks absolutely wicked. Looks like it's still available through Amazon Canada? http://www.amazon.ca/Currents-Colour...tame+impal%3Ba

Old 07-13-2015, 11:41 PM   #469
The Male

I actually don't think the album is that big a leap, but a lot of other people seem to. The same aesthetic is there and Reality In Motion in particular sounds a whole lot like a Lonerism track.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:43 PM   #470

It is still available from Amazon, 1-2 weeks shipping is $30 (AUS), which seems reasonable? Anyone know if it would be cheaper for someone here to buy and ship for me? Just working out my options. Otherwise I'll just buy it myself.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:10 AM   #471
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I actually don't think the album is that big a leap, but a lot of other people seem to. The same aesthetic is there and Reality In Motion in particular sounds a whole lot like a Lonerism track.
Yeah, I haven't heard the whole thing, but of the singles released, I don't see how anyone would take them for anything but Tame Impala. It's even there in the lyrics, which continue to be trite as hell - probably the only real weak point this band has.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:14 AM   #472
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
It is still available from Amazon, 1-2 weeks shipping is $30 (AUS), which seems reasonable? Anyone know if it would be cheaper for someone here to buy and ship for me? Just working out my options. Otherwise I'll just buy it myself.
Might be available for international shipping here:

Tame Impala - Currents [Colored Vinyl] (Vinyl LP) (upcoming release) - Amoeba Music
Old 07-14-2015, 01:09 AM   #473

Thanks heaps man. I just ordered it from there. Only worked to be $53, and given the normal vinyl here is $43, I'm fucking stoked. I knew I should have checked Amoeba. That place is like my heaven. Have never steered me wrong. And it's due to get here only a week or so after the release date. Very, very happy boy
Old 07-14-2015, 05:10 PM   #474
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Amoeba is a great store. I happened across one while in San Francisco a few years back, and it did not disappoint. Probably second only to Reckless in Chicago as the best US record store I've been to.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #475
Blue Crack Addict

Listened to the stream last night. Sounded like a great album. I'll wait till next week to listen again but I'd imagine that this will be up there in my year end rankings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2015, 05:43 AM   #476
The Male

After a third listen: yep, I really like this album. It has a lot of flaws; I could pick out a handful of issues in nearly every track and Past Life is the single worst Tame Impala song to date, but the good vastly outweighs the bad. The Less I Know The Better has such great bass and proves to be one of the funkiest songs of the year despite retaining the band's washed out aesthetic. Reality In Motion is a great return to the sound of Lonerism that still manages to fit in thanks to its pop structure and sparkling melody. Disciples is way too short but is a perfect psychedelic pop song in the vein of Ariel Pink regardless. Cause I'm a Man has terrible lyrics but the melody is spot on for the era it's trying to capture and I'm a sucker for that nasty guitar line in the chorus.

If I had to rate it, it's a solid 8 compared to the 8.5 of Innerspeaker and 9 of Lonerism. This band is incapable of putting out an album I don't like.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:25 PM   #477
Blue Crack Addict

So I've been trying to preorder the cd on Amazon and nothing. Hm. Hopefully it's not one of those dumb vinyl or MP3 only releases (like another band I really like just did).
Old 07-16-2015, 03:44 PM   #478
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
This year I have decided I would much rather pay $18 for 24-bit digital than $25 for vinyl, which I can never seem to find time to listen to anyway.
This will be the first new album from the last three years that I've skipped out on...I'm planning a career change soon to flight attendant and realize that it makes no sense to be shipping in vinyl records to my house when I'm not home (even if my girlfriend will be) and to purchase them when I won't even be around half the time. I decided now would be a good time to break free since I have a 24 Bit/Hi-Res player on order from LH Labs that I'll have in a few months, anyway, and it's good to start saving money now since I'm going to have to stop this collecting anyway in the future.

I won't be paying for digital, mind you, and I'm still down with purchasing cassettes since they fit through are mail slot and come with FLAC rips on BandCamp (a great way to support these artists for cheap, especially since half the time you have to buy something to get a digital copy off there).

Vinyl is still awesome, but I'm loving not having to order things here and worry about them and clear the shelf space, etc. Record Store Day is still something I'll participate in for some cool new releases and reissues, but I just don't have the time/effort/expense to keep the LP collection growing further into the hundreds.

New album is awesome, by the way. For me, it's on-par with the other two.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:10 AM   #479
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
So I've been trying to preorder the cd on Amazon and nothing. Hm. Hopefully it's not one of those dumb vinyl or MP3 only releases (like another band I really like just did).

It's there now. Not really a pre-order at this point, I guess.

http://www.amazon.com/Currents-Tame-...=UTF8&sr=&qid=
Old 07-17-2015, 12:12 AM   #480
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Tame Impala - Lonerism

The Japanese CD comes with Live Versions on a bonus CD, BTW. That release was only available on vinyl and MP3 previously.

Tags
tame impala