St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I may have had a drastically incorrect impression of what St. Vincent's music was like.

Finally got around to listening to this today...good stuff! "Cruel" might be my favorite so far.

I normally find it incredibly disappointing when the first song I hear from an album is the best, but Surgeon is so fucking brilliant.

When I was young, coach called me "The Tiger."

Impy, have you not yet bestowed your review upon us? I am curious about your opinion.

So I'm four songs in, fucking loving it. Cruel is immediately one of the best tunes I've heard this year. :up:

Does she play guitar and/or the other instruments? The ending to Surgeon is fucking nuts, wish it went longer.

Surgeon really is a brilliant track. Her vocal performance there is just sublime, especially toward the end. Chloe in the Afternoon is growing rapidly on me as well.

iron yuppie said:
Surgeon really is a brilliant track. Her vocal performance there is just sublime, especially toward the end. Chloe in the Afternoon is growing rapidly on me as well.

Do you hear a bit of Floyd in the solo towards the end of Surgeon? I do but I can't put my finger on which song...

I'm annoyed that I forgot to order this during my ordering spree last week.

Do you hear a bit of Floyd in the solo towards the end of Surgeon? I do but I can't put my finger on which song...

Now that you mention it, yes...reminds me a bit of the solo in Have a Cigar, which also comes in abruptly and is rather frenetic.

iron yuppie said:
Now that you mention it, yes...reminds me a bit of the solo in Have a Cigar, which also comes in abruptly and is rather frenetic.

Yes that's it. What a shame I don't know anything about Pink Floyd :wink:

Didn't like the second half as much as the first but I'm sure it'll grow on me. Will delete the version I downloaded when I get home and buy the cd tomorrow :up:

I like this more than the new Girls album, and I admittedly have no history with St. Vincent at all. :reject:

The Girls album is so great, but there is only one AOTY.

cobl04 said:
Does she play guitar and/or the other instruments?

She plays all the guitar parts and some of the keyboards.

When I first listened to Actor I thought, that's quite nice. But when I saw them on ACL, I was so blown away by Annie. Seeing her/them changed my entire impression.

I haven't heard anything from the new one yet and everyone's good reviews is making me excited to hear it.

Strange Mercy is a massive upgrade from Actor, in my humble opinion: much more cohesive, adventurous, and musically accomplished. The thing is brimming with confidence, and justifiably so.

This is why I can't wait to hear it. I sensed something in them live (on TV) that I didn't really hear on Actor.

Her albums have gotten progressively less twee as she's gone along, with greater emphasis on her guitar playing, which is an improvement in and of itself.

Laughing With A Mouth Of Blood and Just The Same But Brand New are still my favorite songs of hers, but Surgeon is right up there, and Strange Mercy is overall a more fulfilling journey.

Been listening to this a lot the past couple days. Agreed with elmel on all accounts. Fantastically well put together album.

Surgeon is certainly one of my top 3 songs of the year, for what it's worth.

She has a really nice duet with Andrew Bird in his Fever Year documentary.

The CD is a digipack? Either way, it's still got the lyrics in there.

Back
Top Bottom