Springsteen VIII - 2014, tour, album, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You fall in love with lonely, you end up that way.

I'm really looking forward to this new album. Hello Sunshine is sublime. It's great to hear an elder rock statesman be comfortable in his maturity, and thus sound fresh and new - vs, oh I dunno, trying to force their sound into the modern age of music through pop producers and gimmicks (no names mentioned).

I'm really looking forward to this new album. Hello Sunshine is sublime. It's great to hear an elder rock statesman be comfortable in his maturity, and thus sound fresh and new - vs, oh I dunno, trying to force their sound into the modern age of music through pop producers and gimmicks (no names mentioned).

Yeah. The track makes me all the more sad of modern-day U2.

i listened through once so far and found it a bit of a snooze, honestly. some nice stuff, but this feels like another step down the "Kingdom of Days" path.

perhaps it will grow.

not to pick a fight, but speaking of 80s icons, i listened to Madame X on the same day. she sounds completely insane, but the album has life and ideas and insanity as well as one genuinely great pop song ("Crave").

Last edited:
Yeah that’s on my list as well. First single didn’t leave me very confident but it definitely seems like she’s trying to do something different this time around.

Western Stars is really good stuff but probably could have been scaled back a bit as far as its orchestration is concerned. Sometimes it's gloriously lush (The Wayfarer) but on other occasions it's saccharine and overdone. Bruce is in solid voice and there are some nice moments of self-reflection at times, though the subject matter grew redundant by the end. It's like a 7/10, definitely not Nebraska tier, but I'd easily take it over Working on a Dream and High Hopes.

I thought Madame X was almost entirely awful, with only the truly bizarre if wildly inconsistent Dark Ballet and instrumentally (if not vocally) pleasing God Control striking me as worth a second listen. The vocal performances and hooks are phoned in throughout and the Latin influences are pretty shallow and clumsily executed. Crave is so boring I could barely finish it. Bitch I'm Loca is utterly embarrassing coming from anyone, let alone a 60 year old pop legend. It hasn't been that long since she made incredible songs like Sorry and Get Together, but it seems like an eternity ago.

Last edited:
Working on a Dream may have had some higher highs, but this is a bit more consistent with its aesthetic (lyrically and musically). I get what you're saying, though; it gets a little redundant and the short running times make some of the tracks a little insubstantial. I wouldn't put it anywhere near as high The Rising.

But damn, Moonlight Motel is one hell of a closer. Gorgeous lyric and arrangement.

Finally hearing Madame X today, with trepidation. I liked Rebel Heart a fair amount, and this new one seems to be pretty divisive. She's kind of caught between doing the same old same old and being ignored, or trying for something a little more ambitious and falling on her face.

Loved my first listen to Western Stars. Man, the chorus of "There Goes My Miracle" is really something else for Bruce. The Roy Orbison influence coming through. The album as a whole definitely makes me smile.

Didn't think it was still possible given his catalog, but "Moonlight Motel" just might be the most gorgeous, and heartbreaking, thing he's ever done.

I listened to it, it's got some really good songs on it. I know I harp on about this, but imagine if U2 rolled out records like this, instead of doing what they do. Ugh. Anyway. I find a lot of the song titles and lyrics to be pretty on the nose, like the sort of thing someone would come up with if they were taking the piss out of Bruce, but he pulls it off anyway.

Songs I liked: The Wayfarer, Drive Fast (The Stuntman), Sundown, There Goes My Miracle, Moonlight Motel.

The Wayfarer's staccato-y piano at the start reminds soooo much of another song, but I can't think of what.

I get what you're saying with the U2 comparison in terms of consistency and Bruce not embarrassing himself.

Having said that, there are several songs off SOI and SOE that for me surpass anything on here, easily.

I'm not sure what carries more weight.

I get what you're saying with the U2 comparison in terms of consistency and Bruce not embarrassing himself.

Having said that, there are several songs off SOI and SOE that for me surpass anything on here, easily.

I'm not sure what carries more weight.

This is fairly dead in with my feelings.

The last two U2 albums have some tremendous highs, but at what cost?

Ok so the couple of listens I had of the record ended up sticking in my head and I ended up buying the CD. I think this is a fucking great album, honestly. I'm really surprised by just how much I like it. It's not all gold, but with a few tracks in the front half I don't care for, but the rest is exceptional given his age. The subject matter and lyrics somehow seem to work in his hands, even though if you just read them they would come off as a Springsteen pisstake. I think it's to do with his vocals - he sounds great - and the music, which is pretty strong throughout. And when you take it all as a whole, it does a really great job of evoking the subject matter; on several occasions I could see myself as the downbeat drifter, just searching for connection.

But damn, Moonlight Motel is one hell of a closer. Gorgeous lyric and arrangement.

Didn't think it was still possible given his catalog, but "Moonlight Motel" just might be the most gorgeous, and heartbreaking, thing he's ever done.

I'm really, really fucking happy to see these posts, because I am in love with Moonlight Motel. It's a tremendous recording. Reminds me a lot of very early Waits. The acoustic is perfectly melancholic, Bruce's vocals the same, the ambient piano, slide guitar and gentle percussion in the background work beautifully, and the lyrics are just so evocative. Listening to it I can genuinely picture sitting in a rundown motel on an empty highway as the sun comes down, half-cut, mournful and full of loss.

He's a gem, Bruce, and I hope he makes it out to Australia again soon and we get a fair few of these songs in the set.

Hopefully it’s as good as Bruce and Nils say it is! Anyone familiar with the three 70’s songs that were re-recorded for this?

Back
Top Bottom