Springsteen, Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bono_212 said:
You know, I like Asbury Park more than WIESS...I think a couple of the longer tracks on Wild *cough WBilly* really put me off of listening to that album as much as the others.

Um, Wild Billy is the second shortest track on the entire album.

Wild And Innocent is a true classic - the second side alone is pure magic (see what I did there? :wink: )

While Asbury Park is great, it still has a few clunkers - specifically Mary, Queen Of Arkansas, probably one of the worst Springsteen songs ever.

Yeah, I was looking online at Amazon, and it was quite cheap

I :madspit: at you Best Buy :madspit: indeed!

Darkness is really good. I can't decide what my favorite album is. There's Magic which was my first, BTR which really got me excited about the music, Darkness is just all around good, and Greetings/WIESS is amazing stuff as well...it's a mixture :shifty:

In response to you Phanan, after I posted I realized it was kind of silly to say longer songs in regards to WIESS since there's like, what? Seven tracks on that album and it's still quite long :lol:

I would get stoned though I think if I were to really say what song on Wild I just really don't like.

but as I said in my last post, I kind of count those two first albums together in my mind, and together they're :drool:

ETA: Wow, I just checked...Wild Billy's actually pretty short for him :ohmy:

Listen to the trio of Incident On 57th Street, Rosalita, and New York City Serenade when you get a chance. Yes, they're all very long, but Springsteen never stretched out like that again (well, except for Jungleland) and the results are amazing.

Phanan you're in the ball park of which song it is I can't stand. Oh I'll just confess. I don't like New York City Serenade :reject: I DON'T KNOW WHY! It's not really that bad, I just can't stand to listen to it :sad:

So I need some Springsteen advice...

1. I like the live renditions of stuff off the Seeger Sessions. Are the songs as long and alive on the album?

2. I like what I have heard on the Seeger Sessions. I know it isn't really his usually style but what is similiar in his discography instrumentation and spirit-wise?

phanan said:
Listen to the trio of Incident On 57th Street, Rosalita, and New York City Serenade when you get a chance. Yes, they're all very long, but Springsteen never stretched out like that again (well, except for Jungleland) and the results are amazing.

Those three songs comprise the single greatest "side" of music in contemporary popular music. That original LP--not so much the CD--is a thing of brutal, devastating beauty. There is nothing like turning over that record and settling in for the brilliance of side two. Pure magic.

Also, "Jungleland" is awful. Overly self-conscious, self-righteous, and self-important; the only throwaway track I've ever heard which is, like, three hours long. One of the worst songs Springsteen ever put his name on, and there're more than a handful of duds (to put it very kindly) in his vast catalog.

:sad: jungleland, but, you like New York, so to each his own :D

I just bought Born To Run on cassette (I'm driving home next week and I have a tape player in my car) and, I put it in...and the tracks are out of order...wtf?

If you shout... said:

Also, "Jungleland" is awful. Overly self-conscious, self-righteous, and self-important; the only throwaway track I've ever heard which is, like, three hours long. One of the worst songs Springsteen ever put his name on, and there're more than a handful of duds (to put it very kindly) in his vast catalog.

Wrong.

Last edited:
If you shout... said:

Jungleland?

Self conscious? Throwaway?

'Barefoot girl sittin' on the hood of a Dodge, drinkin' warm beer in the soft summer rain.'

'Opera out on the turnpike, ballet bein' fought out in the alley.'

'The hungry and the hunted explode into rock and roll bands.'

'Beneath the city...two hearts beat. Soul engines runnin' through a night so tender. In a bedroom locked with whispers of soft refusal and then surrender. In the tunnels uptown the Rat's own dream guns him down. Shots echo down them hallways in the night. No-one watches as the ambulance pulls away...or as the girl shuts out her bedroom light. Outside the street's on fire in a real death waltz between what's flesh and what's fantasy. And the poets down here don't write nothin' at all, they just stand back and let it all be. And in the quick of a knife they reach for their moment and try to make an honest stand. They end up wounded, not even dead, tonight.......'

Yeah, that's exactly what I think of when I think of self-conscious, self-righteous, self-important, and throwaway.

Stevie :lmao: what was that Bruce said about Stevie at the Rock Hall induction?

Stevie Van Zandt. For those of you who have seen "The Sopranos" and are worried that that's what Steve is like ... that's what he's like. He's a lifetime rock 'n' roll friendship.

What is Stevie considered? Guitarist? 2nd Guitar? One of Many guitars? How do you describe Nils/Stevie/Bruce/*coughcoughpatticough*

GirlsAloudFan said:

Jungleland?

Self conscious? Throwaway?

'Barefoot girl sittin' on the hood of a Dodge, drinkin' warm beer in the soft summer rain.'

'Opera out on the turnpike, ballet bein' fought out in the alley.'

'The hungry and the hunted explode into rock and roll bands.'

'Beneath the city...two hearts beat. Soul engines runnin' through a night so tender. In a bedroom locked with whispers of soft refusal and then surrender. In the tunnels uptown the Rat's own dream guns him down. Shots echo down them hallways in the night. No-one watches as the ambulance pulls away...or as the girl shuts out her bedroom light. Outside the street's on fire in a real death waltz between what's flesh and what's fantasy. And the poets down here don't write nothin' at all, they just stand back and let it all be. And in the quick of a knife they reach for their moment and try to make an honest stand. They end up wounded, not even dead, tonight.......'

Yeah, that's exactly what I think of when I think of self-conscious, self-righteous, self-important, and throwaway.

Me, too, GAF. For realz. I guess that over-written (not to mention laughably over-sung) applies, as well, though. Didn't think of that until I re-read/-listened to the stuff you posted. Good calls, all around.

If you shout... said:

Those three songs comprise the single greatest "side" of music in contemporary popular music. That original LP--not so much the CD--is a thing of brutal, devastating beauty. There is nothing like turning over that record and settling in for the brilliance of side two. Pure magic.

Well, at least the first paragraph was spot on.

If you shout... said:

That may just be the biggest ball of wrong I've ever seen on this site.

Screwtape, I've been mulling over your question about Seeger Sessions. I really enjoy both the live Seeger stuff and the album itself, but I find the live versions are a bit more lively, more rollicking, and (if I'm remembering correctly) longer than the album versions.

But basically, the live versions aren't much different from the album versions, so if you own the Dublin live CD and like it enough to wonder about the studio album, you might be satisfied with just the live album.

... I don't know if that even makes a lick of sense.

Jungleland's, you know, only widely considered one of the greatest songs of all-time. What do we all know, though? Bruce must have been so self-righteous writing that.

:hyper: taking a moment to not think about Jungleland, Bruce got a haircut :giggle:

042808b.jpg

But the soul patch is still there :sigh:

You may continue speaking about this fantastic song now

corianderstem said:

Screwtape, I've been mulling over your question about Seeger Sessions. I really enjoy both the live Seeger stuff and the album itself, but I find the live versions are a bit more lively, more rollicking, and (if I'm remembering correctly) longer than the album versions.

But basically, the live versions aren't much different from the album versions, so if you own the Dublin live CD and like it enough to wonder about the studio album, you might be satisfied with just the live album.

... I don't know if that even makes a lick of sense.

Okay I think I'm going to go with the live album. I might pick up the album itself later on. Thanks for the help. :up:

As far as Seeger is concerned, all I've heard is American Land and...is it called Pay Me My Money Down? American Land is just by far and away amazing, and Pay Me is fun...but I don't know how I'd feel about a full album, is a lot of the rest of the music like that?

Screwtape2 said:
So I need some Springsteen advice...

1. I like the live renditions of stuff off the Seeger Sessions. Are the songs as long and alive on the album?

2. I like what I have heard on the Seeger Sessions. I know it isn't really his usually style but what is similiar in his discography instrumentation and spirit-wise?

I must have missed your post before.

Both the live album and studio album are fantastic. The studio album is very loose and comes across as one big party. The live album fleshes out the material even more. Both are highly recommended.

There is really nothing in his discography that is anywhere near the Seeger sessions material. He really went off on a different tangent with that stuff. But you might find some of his stark, solo acoustic work interesting. Nebraska fits that bill. The Ghost Of Tom Joad and Devils & Dust also have some folk aspects, but not in the vein as Seeger.

But Screwtape, you're a romantic, so you need to listen to Born To Run. :wink:

bono_212 said:
As far as Seeger is concerned, all I've heard is American Land and...is it called Pay Me My Money Down? American Land is just by far and away amazing, and Pay Me is fun...but I don't know how I'd feel about a full album, is a lot of the rest of the music like that?

Some of the songs are rollicking like that, some are more mellow. My favorites are American Land and O Mary Don't You Weep. definitely get the deluxe version, that's got the extra tracks (including American Land).

The little "making of" DVD is really awesome, too.

corianderstem said:

Some of the songs are rollicking like that, some are more mellow. My favorites are American Land and O Mary Don't You Weep. definitely get the deluxe version, that's got the extra tracks (including American Land).

The little "making of" DVD is really awesome, too.

I think yesterday at Best Buy I had about $200 worth of Springsteen stuff in my hands, but I ended up leaving with nothing because 1) I couldn't decide what I wanted 2) I would've ended up taking more than I should've

And American Land edition was def. one of the things I almost bought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom