Springsteen, Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm REALLY enjoying Worlds Apart a lot these days, so atm it's my favorite song off The Rising but I think overall Lonesome Day is my favorite.

I recently got to see Bruce in Jersey on the last night of the three GS shows. My sister and I went 12 hours by train, and it was SO worth it (we also stayed with family in Jersey for the week - but still). I've yet to see U2 live, but I have to say .. I don't think any live show can touch The Boss. I've seen him three times - small compared to many fans - but for my age, I'm pretty proud of that number. Most kids my age wanna see Britney Spears & Jonas Brothers :huh:

i've seen u2 twice and springsteen once, and they're both phenomenol but diffferent.
with u2 it's not so much the songs as it is about the experience:
the atmosphere, the lights, the stage, the crowd is pretty diverse, stage antics..all combined create something magical, something beyond a concert. and as a music fan something you have to experience at least once in your life, it's unforgettable.

that being said with Springsteen, the energy is larger than life, the songs aren't jsut songs, they're anthems, it's life, it's death. you want to pump your fist and shout the words to the songs, you are anxious to know what songs are next, or what songs will change from the original version, and you can't help but be completely, genuinely filled with joy and excitement. i love when they jam and change things up, u2 tends to stick with the album version of everything.
and while it's a difficult decision, i would probably choose springsteen over u2 anyday..unless they're next record was something completely mindblowingly fresh..otherwise i prefer the heart pumping springsteen show anyday.

I recently got to see Bruce in Jersey on the last night of the three GS shows. My sister and I went 12 hours by train, and it was SO worth it (we also stayed with family in Jersey for the week - but still). I've yet to see U2 live, but I have to say .. I don't think any live show can touch The Boss. I've seen him three times - small compared to many fans - but for my age, I'm pretty proud of that number. Most kids my age wanna see Britney Spears & Jonas Brothers :huh:

i went to that show too :hi5:

the springsteen one, not the spears and jonas brothers. hewson went to that one.

oh mah gawd.

Just got back.

Let me put it this way: Even though my ticket was in the nosebleeds behind the stage, I went down to the railing in my section and Little Steven pointed at ME AND BLEW ME A KISS!!!!!!!!!!! :faint:

OK, I'll report more when this ringing is out of my ears and I get some sleep. :hyper:

From Backstreets...I cannot tell you how excited I was when he played Crush On You!! :shocked:

August 18 / Richmond, VA / Richmond Coliseum
Notes: Bruce to Backstreets in 2007, when asked about "The Price You Pay": "It's become a thing just because I haven't played it. If I had played it, nobody would give much of a damn if they heard it or not! Just because it hasn't been played.... My recollection is that it's been a while since we've played 'Crush on You.' And I'm not sure that one's going to be popping up in the set any time soon, either, you know?"

Tonight, Springsteen breaks a 28-year streak -- not with "The Price You Pay," but with the first "Crush on You" since December 16, 1980. "Crush" was played frequently on the 1980 leg of the River tour, but never again... until tonight. Reacting to a sign, Bruce himself seemingly couldn't believe they were actually about to play it. Steve even more so, from the look of him. "We firmly believe this is the worst song we ever put on a record," Bruce laughed, also revealing that he took the riff from the Car 54, Where Are You? theme. Still, butt of jokes though it may be, it was one of the biggest holy-shit moments of the tour to date, kicking off the encore with a blast of energy. On one hand, it's a throwaway River rocker... on the other hand, it's... a throwaway River rocker! The perfect kind of thing (as "Ramrod" has long shown) for encore time. The only thing we like better is some vintage rock 'n' roll, like, you know, "Quarter to Three." Yep, the Gary U.S. Bands classic was next (last played at Shea in 2003), as the nightly E Street Band-as-cover-band history lesson continues -- with "Twist and Shout" closing the eight-song encore to boot. Local boy Robbin Thompson, Bruce's Steel Mill bandmate, guested for this final song of the night.

But it's not like they saved all the good stuff for the end. In a very solid main set, a sign that read "My band just broke up -- please play 'Backstreets'!" brought us the majestic '75 epic, which led into a rare solo reading of "For You." Sitting at the piano, Bruce introduced it with some memories of Richmond, "an essential audience that allowed us to get out of town," and dedicated it in particular to old friend Russ Clem, who always introduced Steel Mill at their Richmond shows.

A welcome return from the Magic record, "I'll Work for Your Love," was in part a celebration of Clarence -- "The Big Man just got married!" -- who raised his arms victoriously. "The Promised Land," though setlisted, got a needed rest for the third show running. In all, 13 songs not performed at the previous show in Charleston, also including "Cadillac Ranch" and, previously played only in Amsterdam on this tour, "Stand on It." "This is a little obscure," Bruce said to introduce the latter, "but that's why we're here!" With only five shows left on the tour, ain't it nice that we're all on the same page?

Setlist:
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
Radio Nowhere
Out in the Street
Prove It All Night
Lonesome Day
Spirit in the Night
Stand on It
Cadillac Ranch
Backstreets
For You (solo piano)
Youngstown
Murder Incorporated
She's the One
Livin' in the Future
Mary's Place
I'll Work for Your Love
The Rising
Last to Die
Long Walk Home
Badlands

Crush on You
Quarter to Three
Born to Run
Rosalita
Bobby Jean
Dancing in the Dark
American Land
Twist and Shout (with Robbin Thompson)

Crush On You and Quarter To Three back to back was worth it alone.

Damn, one of the two songs from The River not to be heard from in almost 30 years, despite the fact that it's considered to be not one of his best. But I bet it sure was fun hearing it live.

I have a feeling the other one that's been MIA, The Price You Pay, shows up before this tour ends.

Sooo I didn't really sleep last night :lol:

I kept going over everything in my head. I only have one complaint...the sound was REALLY muddled and sometimes hard to hear and distinguish between instruments, but I believe that was a problem with the venue, not the band.

When Bruce was getting ready to sing Livin' in the Future he started with the 2nd verse and then stopped..."Wait a minute! That's the second verse! What's the first verse?" so he paced around the stage for a bit, "...it's coming to me, it's coming to me, hold on......oh yeah! Hey Max, 1, 2, 3, 4!" and then he started again with the first verse :lol:

This was the conversation between Bruce and the girl who requested Crush On You:
Bruce: Are you sure you want us to play this song? How old are you?
Girl: I've got a crush on you!
Bruce: Well that's great but how old are you?
Girl: I've got a crush on you!
Bruce: We're speakin the same language but we're not hearin each other!

One thing that was interesting about having a seat behind the stage is that I got to see all sorts of things. For instance, when Bruce would be playing his guitar and wanted some water he just plunged his head into a bucket and lapped at it like a dog :giggle: I also watched him take a wet sponge to his knees before he ran and slid across the stage on his knees.

I can't remember which song but at one point Little Steven was walking up and down the back of the stage scanning the top back section, and I had jumped out of my seat and gone down to the rail and waved at him, and he pointed right at me and blew me a kiss :D What an unforgettable moment.

At the end when they were all leaving the stage, before Bruce disappeared from the arena he stood right under my section and paid attention to us adoring fans who had the crappy seats :lol: It was a fantastic night :up:

Now I have to muster up the energy to drive myself down to school this afternoon...time for senior year! Last night was the perfect send off.

That is awesome as shit, Laura.

Alright, so the show starts at what, 9? I'm leaving for Hershey with a group on a bus at 5.

I managed to take this photo last night with my crappy cell phone camera:

n31804491_31976048_588.jpg

There's Bruce in the spotlight :D

Pfan-my ticket said 7:30 but they definitely didn't start until about 8:30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom