Shuttlecock XXII: Summer of Laz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey AX...Ms. YBOR and I sat next to a young lady who's from Australia but is in Boston for business this past week so she couldn't resist coming to the show at Mohegan Sun. She was face timing her husband and young son from the show and I asked her when do you think U2 will make it to Australia and she said prolly never. Her husband was so mad she got to see them!

Was she Facetiming during the intro of Best Thing like Bono.

Hey, it's me. We're here in Uncasville. I'm not really sure what an Unca is. Show's going really well so far. I've never seen them in such a small venue. Then again I've had so many cans of Foster's today I might just be imagining things. I love you. Miss you. Don't forget to feed the kangaroo.

All I fucking ask on the second leg is an end to Bono doing those dumbfuck conversations.

Actually I ask a lot of other things as well. But that bit was excruciatingly terrible.

just heard the blackout playing in the liquor store and thought that was pretty ironic.

first time I've heard an SOE song in the wild, 7.5 months after it's released.

Number 2, yes, and still yet to hear SOI/E in the wild, bottle-o or otherwise.

Interesting editorial piece about U2 and their political stance on this current tour. Link posted in this thread:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/u2-isnt-radical-now-222426.html

Basically saying they're being too subtle, avoid direct repudiation of the current regime, being too soft, that pleas for unity aren't effective in this political climate, etc.

Their politics are generally liberal, and liberalism is wholly unsuited to deal with what is happening right now.

Interesting editorial piece about U2 and their political stance on this current tour. Link posted in this thread:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/u2-isnt-radical-now-222426.html

Basically saying they're being too subtle, avoid direct repudiation of the current regime, being too soft, that pleas for unity aren't effective in this political climate, etc.

I read that, and it was interesting... but it's odd for them to talk about how U2 confronted the fans with uncomfortable images about the reality of America today, and how MacPhisto addressed many of the issues regarding the border and blah blah blah... but OMG they're too subtle cause Bono didn't call Trump an asshole from stage.

Like... I get not everyone is a fan of the word compromise around here. But I don't think confronting American crowds with these images and presenting them with alternative images is a bad thing.

Their politics are generally liberal, and liberalism is wholly unsuited to deal with what is happening right now.

While I don't doubt that personally they have liberal stances, I would describe their politics as centrist, not liberal - rationalized by Bono's repeated idea that you have to work with everyone to get things done (it doesn't matter if the people who are helping fund HIV/AIDS drugs are also destroying health care for women in their own country).

I follow that writer on Twitter, and someone had a reply that was pretty good. It was basically "we're ALL struggling over what to say/how to address the giant shitshow that's the state of the US right now."

I follow that writer on Twitter, and someone had a reply that was pretty good. It was basically "we're ALL struggling over what to say/how to address the giant shitshow that's the state of the US right now."

This. It seems the anti-Trump crowd can't win in general no matter how they respond right now. We can't be too aggressive, lest we alienate people and motivate Trump supporters even more, but if we're too polite and civil in our criticism of this administration, that's not good enough, either, 'cause that makes it easier for the Trump brigade to run roughshod over us. How about just letting people respond and fight back in the way they personally feel will best help instead?

I'd also note that Bono, who's met with virtually almost every politician imaginable, no matter how at odds he is with them politically, in order to get support for his charity work and whatnot, doesn't seem to have any interest in meeting with Trump, which says something about where his limits lie. Promoting unity in their work doesn't have to equate to "Let's try and get along with Trump/his supporters!", after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom