Local Time: 07:56 AM
U2 Isn't Radical Now

https://www.salon.com/2018/07/11/u2-...fely-for-2018/

They're too soft and safe on this tour, according to this writer on salon.com

MrsSpringsteen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:20 PM   #2
45:33

Local Time: 11:56 PM
Good article. But I suspect the band no longer has the energy or the drive to be as viscerally political as they have been in their past. Sadly.

cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:08 PM   #3
Acrobat

For fuck's sake.

U2 are entertainers. They can do what they like, put on the show they like and be as political as they like.

My right wing friend complains to me that they are too political during their shows. This asshole complains they aren't political enough.

Fuck them all.

If Carlyn Rose is so adamant about all this, let her go form a band, book a gig, then preach politics till she passes out.

To an empty arena.
Mac_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:48 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:56 AM
I read about half of it before the whole page was covered up by an enormous ad, but this sounds like the typical leftist complaint that Bono isn't bashing Trump hard enough. Some people seem to be sexually aroused by anti-Trump rants and just can't get enough, while others think every little thing is too much and Bono should "shut up and sing." They can't make anyone happy. This attitude in the article of "How dare you not criticize the thing I hate as much as I think you should!" fans the flames of hysteria and promotes conformist thinking.

I think U2 were smart to keep it toned down; there's enough of all that stuff everywhere else. We talked about this in another thread before the tour started, but our culture is so divided right now, and we don't need U2 causing more division, we need an escape. People actually hate each other because of political beliefs. I was glad that U2 tried to bring people together instead of throwing gasoline on the fire, and that MacPhisto poked fun at the absurdities of both sides. They still made their opinions known, but it was in a reasonable and sensible way that didn't belittle people who might not share their views.
Rachel D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:29 AM   #5
Vocal parasite

This is absolutely the tour for out of touch centrists. And of course the Trump fans still hate it anyway. Might as well just go hard and actually stand for something of substance and relevance.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #6
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
This is absolutely the tour for out of touch centrists. And of course the Trump fans still hate it anyway. Might as well just go hard and actually stand for something of substance and relevance.
Yeah, the first thing I think of with U2 is how "out of touch they are" politically.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
The Fly

I get that Bono and Co. aren't the band they were in the 90s anymore, bands evolve and change. They're older now too. However, this whole compromise thing is a bit naive. It's hard to picture that happening now, considering where we are and how is that supposed to come about exactly? But we have to be somewhat hopeful too.

I think Bono is well-intentioned and has done good things, but his relationship to world leaders and what not probably restricts him a bit from being more outspoken. Though, I imagine he can't be that naive either, this is a guy wrote Bullet the Blue Sky after all. MLK was certainly outspoken even after working with LBJ on certain legislation. He was very critical of Vietnam, Bono was a bit hush hush regarding Iraq (though he said he was against it). Nonetheless Bono is no MLK and no one is saying he is or should try to be (or can be). Though he seems to admire him greatly and he plays a notable role in the show.

All that said, I appreciated and enjoyed both E&I shows I saw. I felt the transition form Staring at the Sun (a song I really like) into Pride was quite compelling and made its point. On the one hand, it's kinda cool that they can make a point without naming you know who. They're not Roger Waters I guess and that's okay, though I appreciate what he's doing.

It's tricky though and I realize you can't please everyone, but that's always been U2's biggest problem, they want to appeal to everyone (at least musically). This tour has certainly ruffled some feathers though, however I didn't personally witness any walkouts in D.C.
dk42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:53 AM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

This article is horse shit.

U2 confronts the American public, who paid a pretty penny to see the show, with images of Nazis walking in the streets of Charlottesville, bagged the first lady, border policy, etc...

... But then he didn't call Trump an asshole and left some room for hope, mannnnnnn. They're so soft!
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

let's face it, we all miss edgy U2 from the 90s
Mack_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #10
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk42 View Post
I think Bono is well-intentioned and has done good things, but his relationship to world leaders and what not probably restricts him a bit from being more outspoken.

It's tricky though and I realize you can't please everyone, but that's always been U2's biggest problem, they want to appeal to everyone (at least musically).
If Bono isn't "outspoken" he sure has given plenty of people the impression that he's outspoken.

You mention his name to someone and typically politics, not music, is the first thing that comes up.

I don't know what people expect from U2 politically. To turn into Rage Against the Machine? For what reason? If Bono pulled out a pulpit and preached against Trump for two hours at a show not a single person would change how they vote. They've always emphasized unity and compromise as a good starting point, quite often (but not always of course).

Sometimes the best strategy is to remind people of commonalities before getting into the heated discussions over differences.

Some of the images and footage on the screen during their show I liken to a mirror. People in attendance not only hear "this is not America" . . they are being asked . . . "is this the America you want to live in? Because that's the direction he-whose-name-will-not-be-spoken is taking you."

And wanting universal appeal -- to be the biggest band in the world -- is always what has driven them. Not a bad thing. Sometimes in that endeavor they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong. But the drive to be that band works for them most of the time.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:03 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Fly View Post
U2 are entertainers. They can do what they like, put on the show they like and be as political as they like.

My right wing friend complains to me that they are too political during their shows. This asshole complains they aren't political enough.
Pretty much. No matter what, it's always going to be one thing to this person and another to that one.
trevgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #12
Refugee

With these songs,they have no choice but to tone down the politics. The days of angry and ballsy songs, backed by a singer with high conviction are over. They have settled into the sofa so to speak.
AndrewCowley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:06 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
And accomplish what, exactly? Make half the crowd cheer and the other half pissed off?
Rachel D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:06 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

if you think half the crowd at a U2 show are trump fans you're delusional.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:54 AM   #15
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Fly View Post
Yeah, the first thing I think of with U2 is how "out of touch they are" politically.

lulz

Bono's blather about "we all need to work together!" was fine a decade ago when there weren't literal fascists and white supremacists on the streets. Hell, he himself points out the public profile of these groups, yet the show seems to have this strange disconnect in narrative: Macphisto tells us that "the KKK sieg heil'd together in Charlottesville", and then Bono goes on to urge everyone work together, as if those who support Trump neither support nor enabled Charlottesville or similar.

Fuck it. This isn't 2005 and calls for compromise have quite clearly not worked. Turn the flamethrower on the lunar right and have at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel D. View Post
And accomplish what, exactly? Make half the crowd cheer and the other half pissed off?
Accomplish what? Being on the right side of history, of course.

But you wouldn't know about that, would you. I'm not sure if you are a Trump voter, but you're so busy to defend fascists, white supremacists, and their army of enablers (unwitting or otherwise) that either you are, or you're defending people who don't warrant the defence.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote