Shuttlecock XXII: Summer of Laz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those four songs they have been rehearsing since the start of the European tour? Well, three of them made their debut in Copenhagen tonight (and the show isn't finished yet).

And they still manage to play 2 less songs than usual, including dropping Red Flag Day, for a paltry total of 21. The first set had literally 8 songs.

Even when they surprise, they disappoint.

Meh... it's annoying that they finally made a change for the better this late in the tour.

But if you kept all 4 Paris shows because you anticipated them changing the set, you haven't really been paying attention to the tour very much.

It's more surprising that they made this radical change to the first set than it is that they played the same sets over and over again in Paris, which was fairly predictable.

“We have these great songs, but we don’t want people to hear them.”

What happened to the TIGHT NARRATIVE.

(On balance this is a pretty good change, the short setlist point notwithstanding.)

I agree with you re: people holding out hope in Paris to the bitter end, but there is literally no excuse for charging the money they do, not having an opening act, and only playing 21 songs.
You're not wrong... it just seems like a pile on after they finally did something right with the set.

We can bitch about the length tomorrow (heh)

Really they should've just kept UTEOTW in the set and done the good old UTEOTW/WGRYWH pairing. Losing one song wouldn't be as big a deal when that's just The Ocean.

Or, hell, The Ocean - with the actual fucking lyrics sung - would work perfectly well to introduce UF.

And they still manage to play 2 less songs than usual, including dropping Red Flag Day, for a paltry total of 21. The first set had literally 8 songs.

Even when they surprise, they disappoint.

This band. I swear.

These two sum up my feelings so accurately. :lol:

They making no fucking sense. All of a sudden, after months where the only changes were a terrible single no fan would ever ask for taking the place of a quite good new song and New Year's Day instead of American Soul, they drop this tight narrative bullshit, finally getting rid of nonsensical SOI songs.

I'd fucking die if I heard those three songs back-to-back-to-back, my god.

I hate this band so fucking much. But my god do I love them. I nearly cried just looking at a tweet of a pic of Bono from the gig with just the word 'Stay'

Has anyone even watched the clip of
Stay
? Plodding and nearly put me to sleep. Bono sounds better than expected but overall it pales next to the official live version we all know and love.

Thoughts on the three songs…

TUF - Fuck me dead, how good does that sound. The rhythm section in particular. Larry's fucking pounding those drums and Adam is note-perfect. And that dirty Edge guitar after the choruses. Bono sounds great even though he goes completely missing during the chorus lol. Jesus, what a song.

Horses - Again fuck me dead, what a song. Larry really going for it which is nice to see. The chorus is really rousing, they're playing this with great pace and energy. Really really nice. And holy shit, that ending is absolutely marvellous, wowowowowow, even better than the real thing.

Stay - Thought it sounded absolutely lovely. Really, really nice singing by Bono. And just a great reminder of how fucking great of a song it is. When Larry and Adam come in it's lovely too. You're off the mark here Laz. And the singalong towards the end. Just fucking lovely, every second of it. I love that off-beat ending.

Gotta say, if you'd told any of us before this tour started that U2 would play Gloria, The Unforgettable Fire, Acrobat, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and Stay (Faraway, So Close!) at the same show, you'd have been laughed out of town. You would never in a million years think you'd get five such good songs in the same U2 set. Ever. Amazing.

Good stuff boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom