Shuttlecock XVII - The Best Title That Ever Happened a Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I follow Sil on Instagram for some reason, I guess for the same reason that people slow down for a gawk when there’s been a car crash; it’s hard to look away. She’s got to be insane on some level. She’s posting about how she’s asking strangers to get off a bus seat so that she can pose for not one, not two, not three, but four photos with the signage, which is promoting the new single. That came after a long-winded post telling all her haters to fuck off, she must have got some comments after the 14 thousand videos of Mysterious Ways she posted.

The new single, which I refuse to call by name, is definitely catchy, the chorus keeps getting stuck in my head, but it’s absolutely not a good sign or a good thing. The song is terrible. In my opinion. Comfortably one of the very worst things they’ve done.

So I follow Sil on Instagram for some reason, I guess for the same reason that people slow down for a gawk when there’s been a car crash; it’s hard to look away. She’s got to be insane on some level. She’s posting about how she’s asking strangers to get off a bus seat so that she can pose for not one, not two, not three, but four photos with the signage, which is promoting the new single. That came after a long-winded post telling all her haters to fuck off, she must have got some comments after the 14 thousand videos of Mysterious Ways she posted.

link pls

I'm curious - and maybe this has been brought up before - how TBT fits into the theme of "experience" for SOE...as that album was in concept supposed to be a counterbalance to SOI. This, especially in light of Bono's statements that it is supposed to just be a song of a sort of temporary feeling of joy...I am not sure how that ties thematically experience as I understood the concept of SOI and SOE. It's one song off the album...maybe the rest of the album works much more closely with those themes and TBT is the outlier. The TBT single cover image says "A Song of Experience"...but I am just not picking up how the lyrical content of the song fits into that narrative. If anything it's not a song of experience...it's more a song of innocence.

We have 3 songs already from SOE...I also don't see how the "changing times" of Brexit/Trump has any bearings on these songs that would cause a delay...so I guess it's the other tunes that must be super political. Or Bono came up with an excuse because they didn't have their shit together and needed to tour something.

The new single, which I refuse to call by name, is definitely catchy, the chorus keeps getting stuck in my head, but it’s absolutely not a good sign or a good thing. The song is terrible. In my opinion. Comfortably one of the very worst things they’ve done.

what the fuck Sil

I'm curious - and maybe this has been brought up before - how TBT fits into the theme of "experience" for SOE...as that album was in concept supposed to be a counterbalance to SOI. This, especially in light of Bono's statements that it is supposed to just be a song of a sort of temporary feeling of joy...I am not sure how that ties thematically experience as I understood the concept of SOI and SOE. It's one song off the album...maybe the rest of the album works much more closely with those themes and TBT is the outlier. The TBT single cover image says "A Song of Experience"...but I am just not picking up how the lyrical content of the song fits into that narrative. If anything it's not a song of experience...it's more a song of innocence.

We have 3 songs already from SOE...I also don't see how the "changing times" of Brexit/Trump has any bearings on these songs that would cause a delay...so I guess it's the other tunes that must be super political. Or Bono came up with an excuse because they didn't have their shit together and needed to tour something.

Where did Bono say this is "just be a song of a sort of temporary feeling of joy"?

Where did Bono say this is "just be a song of a sort of temporary feeling of joy"?

I'm sorry - the direct quote isn't temporary joy It's "defiant joy". I linked it - the first 60 seconds or so of the Fallon interview.

Bono: "we call it a sort of 'punk motown'...it's like The Supremes...The Supremes....punk Supremes. I mean, it's defiant joy is what we call it...and you know, it's a love song to my missus..."

There was another interview as well where he repeats this talking point - radio I think. He says sometimes the best thing to be in the face of adversity is joyful...

U2 Fallon Interview w/ gag-inducing Fallon Fawning

I don't hate the song. My wife thinks it's fun - we just saw it live here in KC . Certainly not in my top 50, but I am not going to crush them for it at this point in their career.

Last edited:

Well, the second verse of The Blackout is more topical. But The Little Things That Give You Away and You're The Best Thing About Me do not seem to have any direct allusions to the changed times, no.

It seems based on what they said on the Fail-on show and what we've heard so far that the whole theme idea for SOE went right out the window and the album is just a collection of songs, we shall see.

I mean, we've only heard 3 songs and some goofy possible song titles, I would not be surprised if they follow the SOI pattern with the lighter stuff on side A and the more "political" interesting stuff on side B. Or perhaps the NLOTH shit sandwich approach...

I wouldn't call it atrocious. And it's definitely better than the crap they released last week (a shame we won't hear the previously "ready to go" version that was scrapped before the late re-recording).

I'm not familiar with Kygo's work but it sounds mellower than I expected.

I wouldn't call it atrocious. And it's definitely better than the crap they released last week (a shame we won't hear the previously "ready to go" version that was scrapped before the late re-recording).

I'm not familiar with Kygo's work but it sounds mellower than I expected.

It's about as generic a remix as you could imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom