Shuttlecock XV: Seppos and the 42: Cobbler's Epic Fail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is anyone else going back and revisiting the Joshua Tree era? It's always been an era I've always overlooked, I've been more interested in the 90s era and Elevation era, but I've been going back and listening to bootlegs and watching footage of shows from the JT era and man it's just so good.

Listen to the Point Depot Lovetown shows. Best-ever performances of multiple songs.

You'll be saddened to hear that I just discovered I clicked the wrong show at The Forum, and have actually seen 70 songs, not 69.

15 shows for a "Sad!" 53 songs (that said, its 15 shows across 2 tours and not seen them since 360...) Surprisingly, I've only seen WOWY 9 times (8 of those were in Australia)

[抜UOTE=bono_man2002;8167989]15 shows for a "悲ad!" 53 songs (that said, its 15 shows across 2 tours 共nd 無ot seen them since 360...) Surprisingly, 我've 丈nly seen WOWY 9 遍imes (8 of those were 中n 豪ustralia)[/抜UOTE]
The two Chicago shows I've been to + seeing a Leg 2 + Leg 7 360 show helped shake everything out like that.

Wait...how long has the full name of Beautiful Ghost been "Beautiful Ghost / Introduction to Songs of Experience"?

I *never* noticed. Are there any fun conspiracy theories about this over in the other place?

Also I just had the best listen to the song "The Unforgettable Fire" I've had in years. God...I....love...this...song. And this album. But oh my God. It's nice to fall in love with your favorite song all over again.

Also, if we're doing this:

I've heard 61 different songs over four shows that I've been to(one show per tour from Elevation onwards).

Songs I've heard every time:
Beautiful Day (4 times)
Mysterious Ways (4 times)
One (4 times)
Sunday Bloody Sunday (4 times)
Vertigo (4 times)
Where The Streets Have No Name (4 times)

Songs I've heard one time:
11 O'Clock Tick Tock (1 time)
All Because Of You (1 time)
All I Want Is You (1 time)
An Cat Dubh (1 time)
Bad (1 time)
Breathe (1 time)
Cedarwood Road (1 time)
Even Better Than The Real Thing (1 time)
Every Breaking Wave (1 time)
Get On Your Boots (1 time)
Gloria (1 time)
I Remember You (1 time)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (1 time)
I Will Follow (1 time)
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (1 time)
In A Little While (1 time)
Into The Heart (1 time)
Invisible (1 time)
Iris (Hold Me Close) (1 time)
Kite (1 time)
Love And Peace Or Else (1 time)
Lucifer's Hands (1 time)
Magnificent (1 time)
Miracle Drug (1 time)
MLK (1 time)
Moment Of Surrender (1 time)
New York (1 time)
No Line On The Horizon (1 time)
Original Of The Species (1 time)
Out Of Control (1 time)
Raised By Wolves (1 time)
Running To Stand Still (1 time)
She's The One (1 time)
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (1 time)
Song For Someone (1 time)
Staring At The Sun (1 time)
The Cry (1 time)
The Electric Co. (1 time)
The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) (1 time)
The Unforgettable Fire (1 time)
Ultra Violet (Light My Way) (1 time)
Yahweh (1 time)
Your Blue Room (1 time)
Zoo Station (1 time)

That's most of them :wink:

Which of these one-timers mean the most to me? Could be a few...

Your Blue Room could at be at the top. That was only ever played seven times, so I feel super fortunate to have been there for one of them. I yelled really loudly and excitedly when they started playing it(I knew it was a possibility from following setlists, but wasn't sure I'd get it), and pretty much no one else gave a crap. Lots of people used it for a bathroom break. Didn't these people understand how amazing and rare it was for this song to be played?

Bad is another. They played it every night on the Elevation tour, so obviously I got it. They've played it sporadically on every tour since, but I've somehow missed it every time, so I haven't heard it live since 2001. Hoping I get it again this time.

11 O'Clock Tick Tock at the same Elevation show in 2001. It's been played exactly ten times post Lovetown, and I was there for one of them. I know people shit on the slower Elevation version of 11OTT, but you know what? I don't care. I heard 11OTT live in person.

Gloria at I+E...this was the first time they played it since the Vertigo tour. I make no effort to stay unspoiled, so I generally know everything going in, but I hadn't checked any reports about soundcheck or anything after leaving home the day before, so I was genuinely shocked to hear it. It even took me until right before the chorus to even 'get there' as to what song it was. I knew the song, I was singing along with the lyrics and everything, but I couldn't put my finger on what I was singing along to until right before the chorus and then it was HOLY SHIT GLORIA. Great moment.

I got I Will Follow and Even Better Than The Real Thing both for the first time at the same I+E show. IWF is a warhorse and EBTTRT isn't exactly a super rarity, but I'd somehow managed to not get them up to that point. So I was psyched for that.

All I Want Is You at that same I+E show. They don't play that one that often, and it was a good performance of perhaps my favorite of the R&H singles, much as I love Angel.

And I think TUF and Ultraviolet on 360 were special for everyone.

Ok, I'll stop there.

:lol:, I guess it pays to see multiple shows per tour, huh? Haha.

(Seriously, this listen I'm having to TUF right now is killing me with happiness, fwiw)

not sure what you're getting at...

TUF is one of the greatest songs they ever wrote.
I was just saying I assume because I saw two shows on every tour I've been to I have far less one offs than you do, that was all.

It's one thing to constantly say that TUF is my favorite album of all time and that the song is my favorite song of all time, but every once in a while I get a listen like this one where I'm just like, "Yeah...there's not even a close second." I mean...TJT and AB are my second and third favorite albums, but neither's even knocking on the door. Not when I'm feeling like I do right now, haha.

[引UOTE=namkcuR;8168008]無ot sure 何hat you're getting at...

TUF is 単ne of the greatest songs they ever wrote.[/引UOTE]
I was just saying I assume because I saw two shows on every tour I've been to I have far less one offs than you do, that was all.

It's one thing to constantly say that TUF is my favorite album of all time and that the song is my favorite song of all time, but every once in a while I get a listen like this one where I'm just like, "Yeah...there's not even a close second." I mean...TJT and AB are my second and third favorite albums, but neither's even knocking on the door. Not when I'm feeling like I do right now, haha.

I'm with you. TUF isn't my #1, but it's been in my top 5, as high as #3 really, for a long time. Back in 2014, I wrote a really long-ass thread commemorating its 30th anniversary. It's phenomenal and unlike anything else they've ever done.

Also, Wire might be #3 on my list of holy grail never-heard-it-live tracks. Soon to move up to #2 because Exit will be scratched off. And I'm sure it will stay at #2 for the rest of time because I really don't see them ever dusting it off even though they should.

#1 is Please(full band), if you were wondering. :wink:

Axver, if you see this:

Because I have entirely too much time on my hands, and because we're all in a Joshua Tree mood, I was browsing U2 gigs and noticed some setlist comments that should probably be updated because they are no longer true. Just trying to help a fellow obsessive-compulsive setlist geek out. :)

Ah, cheers man, I'll fix these after work!

W/R/T the women, I dunno, maybe Wikipedia Kate Sheppard, probably one of the most important women in history.

Good work, you dipshits.

Seriously, this is an absolutely glaring omission, especially given some of the randoms who are there. (I know nothing of Lena Dunham other than her name. She was on some TV show?)

Listen to the Point Depot Lovetown shows. Best-ever performances of multiple songs.

Not to mention 18 November 1989, Sydney. There's either the edited proshot video, which is amazing, or a pretty good audience tape. Hawkmoon/Desire/Watchtower from that night fucking slays so hard.

Songs left that I'm absolutely dying to hear?

Elvis Presley and America :lol: (but I'm dead serious, if they ever played that somehow, I don't think I'd be able to process it). Everything else from TUF too, obviously. I've heard MLK, Bad, ASOH, TUF and Pride. I'd go nuts to get Wire. And any of the B-sides, too. But let's stay realistic. So, Wire is the only song left from that one I feel I have a chance to someday hear.

Please (got a snippet of it once!), Heartland, Hawkmoon, Stories For Boys, Scarlet, Two Hearts, So Cruel, Dirty Day, If God Will Send His Angels, Kite, Unknown Caller (they dropped it right before I saw them), that's a lot of stuff I'd love to hear but know I never will.

Where do we go to get bootlegs these days? Do people still upload them for all of the shows? I'd really love to have one from the last two nights.

Where do we go to get bootlegs these days? Do people still upload them for all of the shows? I'd really love to have one from the last two nights.

U2start has some, but you have to sign up.

Also, there's the u2hub....that's not a site but rather a DC++ hub, which is pretty much the biggest collection of U2 boots in existence. Pretty much every show they ever played.

YT has some too.

Thanks!

Sorry for the wonky posting earlier. I had a plug-in installed in Firefox that I didn't realize was screwing with the text I was writing :reject:

I daresay I probably have a high unexpected/weird songs to shows ratio.

Love and Peace got dropped for fucking Bad on my second U2 show ever.
Bad out of nowhere on 360? All I Want Is You out of nowhere?
One Tree Hill? Stepped out of the car. Incidentally, the two times I've been inconsolable.
Your Blue Room? Yep.

I'm with you. TUF isn't my #1, but it's been in my top 5, as high as #3 really, for a long time. Back in 2014, I wrote a really long-ass thread commemorating its 30th anniversary. It's phenomenal and unlike anything else they've ever done.

Also, Wire might be #3 on my list of holy grail never-heard-it-live tracks. Soon to move up to #2 because Exit will be scratched off. And I'm sure it will stay at #2 for the rest of time because I really don't see them ever dusting it off even though they should.

#1 is Please(full band), if you were wondering. :wink:

Songs left that I'm absolutely dying to hear?

Elvis Presley and America :lol: (but I'm dead serious, if they ever played that somehow, I don't think I'd be able to process it). Everything else from TUF too, obviously. I've heard MLK, Bad, ASOH, TUF and Pride. I'd go nuts to get Wire. And any of the B-sides, too. But let's stay realistic. So, Wire is the only song left from that one I feel I have a chance to someday hear.

Please (got a snippet of it once!), Heartland, Hawkmoon, Stories For Boys, Scarlet, Two Hearts, So Cruel, Dirty Day, If God Will Send His Angels, Kite, Unknown Caller (they dropped it right before I saw them), that's a lot of stuff I'd love to hear but know I never will.

:doh:...I've heard Scarlet before. Clearly I'm not 100% recovered from this weekend yet.

I will be seeing Shuttlecock in 3 days.

2q8a54y_zpswgkuub5a.jpg

Just did my show list at u2gigs.com

27 shows, 114 songs.
Most frequent are Pride at 25 followed by Streets and Sunday Bloody Sunday at 24.
Have heard Bad 15 times.

One major travesty is in 27 shows, I've heard Two Hearts only once.
Have seen 40 close 11 of the shows...
Closing songs

40 (11)
Walk On (5)
Love Is Blindness (3)
Moment Of Surrender (2)
I Shall Be Released (1)
MLK (1)
Can't Help Falling In Love (1)
Vertigo (1)
Fast Cars (1)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (1)

Good work on the stats Ax ( and company).

Last edited:
I've seen 73 shows and 121 songs in total (though I'd say it's actually 120 songs as I count the remix version of I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight and the 'Classic Coke' version as the same song, only in different arrangements). It helps of course that I've been seeing them every tour since the Zooropa Tour.
There's only 1 song I've heard at every show and that's - not surprisingly - Where The Streets Have No Name. I have heard Beautiful Day at every show since the Elevation Tour though (which also amounts to 70 times of hearing that song live). As I'm a big fan of that song I don't mind. :)

There are 39 songs I've heard only once:
11 O'Clock Tick Tock heard 1 time.
A Sort Of Homecoming heard 1 time.
Can't Help Falling In Love heard 1 time.
Crumbs From Your Table heard 1 time.
Das Model heard 1 time.
Dirty Old Town heard 1 time.
Electrical Storm heard 1 time.
Exit heard 1 time.
Fast Cars heard 1 time.
Glastonbury heard 1 time.
I Love You Love Me Love heard 1 time.
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight heard 1 time.
In God's Country heard 1 time.
Instant Karma heard 1 time.
Knockin' On Heaven's Door heard 1 time.
Last Night On Earth heard 1 time.
Love Is Blindness heard 1 time.
Love Rescue Me heard 1 time.
Lucifer's Hands heard 1 time.
Mothers Of The Disappeared heard 1 time.
One Tree Hill heard 1 time.
People Have The Power heard 1 time.
Radar Love heard 1 time.
Rain heard 1 time.
Red Hill Mining Town heard 1 time.
Rockin' In The Free World heard 1 time.
Satellite Of Love heard 1 time.
Solo Le Pido A Dios heard 1 time.
Spanish Eyes heard 1 time.
The Auld Triangle heard 1 time.
The Crystal Ballroom heard 1 time.
The First Time heard 1 time.
The Little Things That Give You Away heard 1 time.
The Saints Are Coming heard 1 time.
Trip Through Your Wires heard 1 time.
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World heard 1 time.
Two Hearts Beat As One heard 1 time.
When Love Comes To Town heard 1 time.
Window In The Skies heard 1 time.

The I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight is thus the 'Classic Coke' version they played at the second Barcelona concert on the 360 tour. The remix version I've heard loads of times.
As the list of songs heard only once contains the whole side 2 of The Joshua Tree that list will likely get smaller when the current tour reaches Europe. :)

Back
Top Bottom