Shuttlecock IX: Romi and Miss Sil's Line Rules Disunion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Weird mixing on this version - I'm not sure what's happening with the snare drum, but it sounds like a sample for some reason? It's an all top end recording.

The bridge section is a mess.

Yeah I really can't fathom why they chose this version to release. I was about to post that I hoped you'd explain the technical aspects because that recording sounds like arse.

Now here's Cartoon World and it sounds too flat, without enough room for the guitar to breathe.

Yeah I really can't fathom why they chose this version to release. I was about to post that I hoped you'd explain the technical aspects because that recording sounds like arse.

Now here's Cartoon World and it sounds too flat, without enough room for the guitar to breathe.

It's like, you can hear the percussiveness of the kick drum, but none of the bassiness. It's like fucking ...And Justice For All or something.

And what a funny way to end. To think that Cartoon World was almost their debut single.

"She carries shopping in her shopping bag" - Early 1980's Wordsmith.

Yeah, that belongs in Bono's lyrical hall of shame.

This is one of their weirdest early songs, I think - the guitar solo is totally not an Edge solo, then the bass break in the middle. I swear there was an edit there, too.

Do you mean an edit to remove a bit of the song? Because it's the same length as the performance on the bootleg.

Don't think the quality on the bootleg is superior though.

Do you mean an edit to remove a bit of the song? Because it's the same length as the performance on the bootleg.

Don't think the quality on the bootleg is superior though.

Yeah, I could have sworn that the bass break was like two and a half minutes long. But I could definitely be wrong.

Anyway, that was cool to listen to. It's interesting to hear how U2 became ruthless editors over time - all of the shifting song structures and stops and starts and changes for the sake of changes gradually got smoothed out, and for the better, I think. I like Cartoon World a bunch, but it's all over the place, like someone stuck a few different songs together.

It also shows the influence of producers on their sound - until they get Hannett and especially Lillywhite, their singles are kind of crap. Once they get freed of the idea of "band playing in a room" they got a LOT better, which is remarkable considering only three months passed between the recording of Another Day and 11 O'Clock Tick Tock. They were still playing Cartoon World when they were working up 11 O'Clock in the studio, but the latter sounds far more mature, and still holds up today.

Okay, until we decide to listen to J. Swallo for two hours on repeat, back to talking about static setlists and wondering why they won't play "Sleep Like A Baby Tonight".

That was great, thanks for the listen guys. Maybe we should just go through the albums (aside from the ones already listened) in chronological order?

Wednesday night would be good for me at this stage.

Once they get freed of the idea of "band playing in a room" they got a LOT better

But isn't it all about god walking through the room? :happy:

Boy to me really sticks out as a post-punk record. The 1979 material could be almost any second-tier post-punk band bashing shit out in a basement. By mid-1980 - with, as you describe, a fair bit of producer influence - they discover a spark and a sound of their own.

Okay, until we decide to listen to J. Swallo for two hours on repeat, back to talking about static setlists and wondering why they won't play "Sleep Like A Baby Tonight".

Hope we've gone on just long enough for laz to be really pissed off and for everybody else to not be bothered to read it and miss all our great observations and jokes.

(Great observations and jokes not guaranteed.)

Definitely keen to hit up some more albums later in the week (not Thursday or Friday though, live post-rock calls). This has been fun. :up:

I just listened to this song for the first time and wow is it God awful. It's so bad that it actually makes the studio version of Party Girl look good.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I just listened to this song for the first time and wow is it God awful. It's so bad that it actually makes the studio version of Party Girl look good.

The studio version of Party Girl is great what are you on about :p

:wink:

I kinda like Sleep Like A Baby. I think it's at least somewhat interesting, on a sonic level - the idea of a song based on a repetitive synth groove and strings is neat, and the glitchy guitar solo is great.

I don't think it's a great song by any means, but it doesn't actively bore me.

That was great, thanks for the listen guys. Maybe we should just go through the albums (aside from the ones already listened) in chronological order?

Wednesday night would be good for me at this stage.

I'm happy to do whatever and whenever, although part of me would like to do NLOTH because I've heard that album literally twice, and so I imagine I might have a bunch to say about it.

But I'm flexible in most regards, so whatever you guys wanna do.

The studio version of Party Girl is great what are you on about :p

:wink:

I kinda like Sleep Like A Baby. I think it's at least somewhat interesting, on a sonic level - the idea of a song based on a repetitive synth groove and strings is neat, and the glitchy guitar solo is great.

I don't think it's a great song by any means, but it doesn't actively bore me.

I'm happy to do whatever and whenever, although part of me would like to do NLOTH because I've heard that album literally twice, and so I imagine I might have a bunch to say about it.

But I'm flexible in most regards, so whatever you guys wanna do.

I was talking about J Swallow. :lol: :lol: Probably should've made that more clear. In fact, I didn't really make that clear at all. Sorry. :lol:
Sleep is actually pretty good and a bit different, which is what I like about it. They should try it to follow Bullet instead of Hands/Pride.

I was talking about J Swallow. :lol: :lol: Probably should've made that more clear. In fact, I didn't really make that clear at all. Sorry. :lol:
Sleep is actually pretty good and a bit different, which is what I like about it. They should try it to follow Bullet instead of Hands/Pride.

Sorry, my bad!

I mean, you're wrong though, J. Swallo is the best single they never played live to an adoring stadium full of J. Swallo fans.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

It's at least mildly interesting, so whatever. :p

It really is good, though.

ab029ac850aacea22b40f0cb2f1c92dd55fc36cbf487b0010cd47615594d26c5.jpg

This really isn't interfering with the general conversation since it's happening in the middle of the night for a large portion of us.

But there's still something annoying about waking up to 10 pages of...that.

To be fair, they planned it out pretty thoroughly in advance in a bunch of posts (that they were going to listen to beginning U2 stuff, that no one named Dan would be participating this time, etc) and we sort of knew it was coming.

Back
Top Bottom