Shuttlecock IX: Romi and Miss Sil's Line Rules Disunion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it's funny, i watched it for the first time back in january. i thought it was pretty great as well, and despite my hatred of the song one, i still loved the part where the band reacted to its development.

u2 might not be even in my top five bands anymore but i would still watch the crap out of such a documentary for basically every album they've done, up to and including pop (although that one might not be as enjoyable to hear them moaning about how much the music sucks).

It's OK, I still haven't watched it or anything that came with the super special edition of TUF because I suck about buying expensive things but never actually using them.

Basically about once every year I listen to all of U2's discography in some sort of mega-binge. Last year it was sometime around August that I did it. But when I got to NLOTH I got interrupted with a really busy time at work and by the time I had time to listen, I didn't feel like it.

So, being back on a U2 high, but not wanting to overdo it, I felt like this was the safest album to listen to, since it's been the longest since I last heard it.

I've always been pretty hard on this album. It came out around the time when I began to get really jaded by U2 and their recording process and their bullshit. When the album wasn't perfect after all the time and talk, it was irritating, to say the least. Part of the reason I loved SOI so much, I think, was because I went in with no expectations and was rewarded by a surprisingly cohesive album for the number of hands on it. A nice unified theme can go a long way.

Anyways, the long and the short of it is this: I was really jarred by how much I hated Bono's vocal on the title track, but then I was equally surprised by how much I enjoyed Magnificent, one of my least favorite of their singles. I started to notice, for the first time, just how much that Moroccan sound they'd gone one about had infiltrated more of the album than was initially obvious to me. The next three songs are absolute favorites of mine, so that stretch is always fun.

Boots hit me in the face with how terrible it was like it was my first time hearing it again. I had really forgotten how bad a song it is. But, again, for the first time I noticed that it at least sounded like the rest of the album. I was beginning to feel like I'd given the production too much crap.

Then SUC happened.

My God.

That fucking song.

And the hell of the thing is that I like SUC. It's a mess, and it's nowhere near finished. It's a bad lyric, and not because the lyrics are bad, but because they make no damn sense. It's a bunch of ideas jumbled together, and some really are trash, but others aren't bad at all. Soul rocking people might be the worst phrase I've ever heard, but seriously, this song isn't done. It reminds me so much of Every Breaking Wave in that it's just a bunch of words on paper that Bono seemed to think sounded good in his head.

And of course the worst part is that it ruins the flow of the album. It just stops it dead in its tracks. And Boots still isn't a good song. So for about ten minutes the album comes to a screeching halt.

And you know what the worst thing about it is? Boots could go into Fez with zero problems. FFS Fez opens with the ending of Boots. It's like someone snuck SUC in there at the end as a prank.

The rest of the album is so good, too. Breathe is still a killer of a song, WAS is pretty and COL punches me in the gut.

It really sucks to step back and see that an album could seriously be just fine, if not great, were it not for one fucking song.

Wow.

Ashley, I'd love to hear you explain how Crazy Tonight fits the album and doesn't stop the album in its tracks before it even gets to Boots or SUC. It wasn't in the original tracklisting (it's missing from Linear), and was clearly done without Eno and Lanois and the spirit of the previous sessions just so they could have a pop single. Even if you enjoy the song, at least judge it by the same standards you're applying to SUC.

Both tracks are crap, IMO. Boots is a mess but as you said, at least it's cut from a similar cloth as the rest of the album.

Ah, yeah, that's true, not everyone has the same storyline going on in their head when they listen to the album as me, do they? :uhoh:.

Well, for one thing, UC transitions right into Crazy Tonight, so that helps, but I've always imagined the end of UC is the introduction to the flashback of a story that is what sent the main character into the tailspin that he's in during MOS and UC in the first place. So, in effect, while he's at the scene of the accident and sitting there waiting for himself, the album travels back to various scenes from his laugh up to that point, kinda sharing how we got there. Love story (Crazy Tonight and Boots), SUC potentially being a call to action in the narrators life to go out and try and change the world, Fez being kinda obvious what it's about, White as Snow doesn't necessarily fit, except for some other memory of a song, and Breathe is Breathe. Cedars would kinda be the end of the story where the character kinda finds peace a little.

It's not perfect, but in my mind that's why Crazy Tonight works.

I can understand that. Again, it is helped by the fact that they had UC flow into Crazy, and I feel like there's another of a similarity between the guitar tone at the intro to UC and the one played throughout Crazy Tonight.

But, I definitely could concede the point that I'm just partial to Crazy Tonight.

And that would work if I weren't also rather fond of SUC, so...:shrug:

I agree and disagree with Ashley here.

I think Crazy Tonight permanently and negatively impacts the flow of what is, up to that point, a skillfully sequenced album. On the other hand, I think the transition from Unknown Caller to Crazy Tonight is actually quite good. They really made the most of what they had.

NLOTH is a very coherent album outside of the middle trio, as has been repeated a million times.

Last edited:
When I listened to it last week I found about as much of a "unifying theme" lyrically/thematically/sonically as Sgt Peppers could be considered a unified concept for a title track, reprise and "Biiiiiiiilllllllleeeeeeeeeeee Sheeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaarrssssssssss!!"

A Ringo Starr CD from 1998.

ringostarr-touring-russia1.jpg

I listened to this record for the first time in years just after the new album came out. It's such a mess. Stand Up Comedy epitomizes it nicely - a billion ideas jammed into one, none of which are that good to begin with, lyrically trying to be smarter than it really is.

Sonically, it doesn't fit. At all.

I disagree. I think it does fit. And I love the transition from UC to Crazy Tonight. That song always has a sunny mid-morning feel to me. So where Unknown Caller feels like dawn, Crazy Tonight feels like 11:00. Yes, it has this poppy sheen to it, but that's what I like about it.

It's OK, I still haven't watched it or anything that came with the super special edition of TUF because I suck about buying expensive things but never actually using them.
yeah, same. i always buy the super deluxe version of everything (still haven't bought any version of that achtung baby re-release though, oops) but leave it sealed...why? as if i'd ever sell any of this stuff. but yeah, even the smaller stuff where it's maybe two cds and a dvd, i never end up watching the dvd. pretty sure the only footage i've seen from the htdaab one is watching that version of vertigo, and even that i just watched on youtube.

i haven't listened to any of nloth for so long, i can't even think of what i thought of the transition from unknown caller to crazy tonight. man.

From The Sky Down is a pretty neat documentary. I think it's really all over the place in terms of focus, but I'd love to see more rehearsal footage.

Were all of the early takes of the Achtung material available on the Salome tapes? I can't remember "Sick Puppy" sounding like it did on those tapes, if it was on there. I would have liked to see them discuss some of the other tracks (i.e. the B-sides, the unused tracks that didn't get used, how Lady With The Spinning Head evolved into Zoo Station, The Fly and Ultraviolet) but beggars can't be choosers.

Back
Top Bottom