Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame 2009 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 12:00 AM
Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame 2009

CLEVELAND - Run-D.M.C. could "Walk This Way" into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.


The 1980s rap act, along with Metallica and the Stooges are among the nine nominees for next year's hall of fame class, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation announced Monday.

The other nominees are guitarist Jeff Beck, singer Wanda Jackson, Little Anthony and the Imperials, War, Bobby Womack, and disco and R&B group Chic, the only nominee back from last year's ballot.

The five leading vote-getters will be announced in January and inducted April 4, 2009, in Cleveland.

The ceremony typically has been held in New York but is returning to Cleveland after more than a decade-long absence. Tickets will be made available to the public for the first time.

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five opened the door for rap at the Rock Hall as the first hip-hop act to be inducted in 2007. Now, Run-D.M.C., nominated in the first year of its eligibility, has the chance to follow on the strength of rock and rap blends such as the 1986 cover of Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" and classics like "It's Tricky" and "My Adidas."

Metallica jumped on the heavy metal wave of the '80s and 25 years later is still selling out arenas. This month the group released "Death Magnetic," which marks a return to its early speed metal days.

The Stooges, recently given props in the film "Juno," get another shot after last appearing on the ballot two years ago.

Left off the ballot were Stevie Ray Vaughan and Bon Jovi. Both had been eligible for the first time. To be nominated an act must have released its first single or album 25 years prior.

More than 500 musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote on the inductions.

___

On the Net:

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
__________________

__________________
Lila64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 11:00 PM
Kinda lame this year I don't like seeing rap acts in the HoF as it is. That's just me though.
__________________

__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 12:00 AM
The RNRHOF is a joke.

Still no Rush, Yes, Genesis ?

I agree, Rap shouldn't be in there
__________________
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
The RNRHOF is a joke.

Still no Rush, Yes, Genesis ?

I agree, Rap shouldn't be in there
Agreed.


Here's a list of those eligible that have not gotten in:

Future Rock Hall - Artists Currently Eligible for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Agreed.


Here's a list of those eligible that have not gotten in:

Future Rock Hall - Artists Currently Eligible for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
What the hell? They didn't nominate the Smiths?!
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
What the hell? They didn't nominate the Smiths?!
I think there might be a bias, one of many, towards beloved British artists that didn't make it very big in America. The Smiths, Kate Bush, Joy Division and others are iconic British artists that never had long term success in America and not surprisingly they have been pretty much ignored by voters.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I think there might be a bias, one of many, towards beloved British artists that didn't make it very big in America. The Smiths, Kate Bush, Joy Division and others are iconic British artists that never had long term success in America and not surprisingly they have been pretty much ignored by voters.
I don't know, I would have been better off having never seen this list of people not voted in.

Your argument would hold if it weren't for the fact that Bon Jovi got ignored. I'm not saying they're the greatest band ever, but I think at least in the US they're pretty "beloved" you know?

I mean just looking, Dire Straits, David Gilmour, WHAT THE FUCK, just noticed Peter Gabriel what is wrong with this! Genesis not being in there is a joke. UK band, yes, but just as popular here, imo.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I don't know, I would have been better off having never seen this list of people not voted in.

Your argument would hold if it weren't for the fact that Bon Jovi got ignored. I'm not saying they're the greatest band ever, but I think at least in the US they're pretty "beloved" you know?

I mean just looking, Dire Straits, David Gilmour, WHAT THE FUCK, just noticed Peter Gabriel what is wrong with this! Genesis not being in there is a joke. UK band, yes, but just as popular here, imo.
Well, there seem to be a bunch of different theories. None are perfect. Another theory is that the Hall hates prog/art rock because bands like Genesis, Rush, Yes and others aren't in but yet Pink Floyd is. There is merit to these theories but they all have exceptions.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 02:00 AM
I don't even know why people bother paying attention to this anymore.

I disagree, however, that rap and hip hop shouldn't be part of this. Should R&B be excluded as well then? I think not.
__________________
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I don't even know why people bother paying attention to this anymore.

I disagree, however, that rap and hip hop shouldn't be part of this. Should R&B be excluded as well then? I think not.
In the years to come to do you honestly believe acts like Eminem and Nelly should be in the Rock Hall?
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I don't even know why people bother paying attention to this anymore.

I disagree, however, that rap and hip hop shouldn't be part of this. Should R&B be excluded as well then? I think not.
R&B was a precursor to Rock and is a clear part of Rock's lineage. Rap is a different offshoot than Rock is, so should not be included imnsho.

Not unless they change it to the Rock and Roll and Rap Hall of fame.

Eminem belongs in the RnR HOF as much as Black Sabbath would belong in any Rap HOF
__________________
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
In the years to come to do you honestly believe acts like Eminem and Nelly should be in the Rock Hall?
Eminem, yes. Nelly, no way.

Hip hop is more than just the sugar-coated crap you see in the Top 40 every week. There is a lot of fascinating music being made within the genre. The Roots are a prime example of this.
__________________
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
R&B was a precursor to Rock and is a clear part of Rock's lineage. Rap is a different offshoot than Rock is, so should not be included imnsho.

Not unless they change it to the Rock and Roll and Rap Hall of fame.

Eminem belongs in the RnR HOF as much as Black Sabbath would belong in any Rap HOF
Rap gets its foundation from a number of music genres, including R&B, funk, and yes, rock. It's lineage comes directly from that, so yes, it deserves inclusion.
__________________
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #14
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,795
Local Time: 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
In the years to come to do you honestly believe acts like Eminem and Nelly should be in the Rock Hall?
No. But then again, I find Eminem overrated.

I think Run-D.M.C. is borderline because of the Aerosmith collaboration, which was undeniably huge for both genres.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Rap gets its foundation from a number of music genres, including R&B, funk, and yes, rock. It's lineage comes directly from that, so yes, it deserves inclusion.
But we're not talking about genres partially influenced by Rock, we're talking about Rock.

So, no, it doesn't deserve inclusion.
__________________

__________________
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hall of fame, metallica

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com