Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame 2009 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:00 AM
Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame 2009

CLEVELAND - Run-D.M.C. could "Walk This Way" into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The 1980s rap act, along with Metallica and the Stooges are among the nine nominees for next year's hall of fame class, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation announced Monday.

The other nominees are guitarist Jeff Beck, singer Wanda Jackson, Little Anthony and the Imperials, War, Bobby Womack, and disco and R&B group Chic, the only nominee back from last year's ballot.

The five leading vote-getters will be announced in January and inducted April 4, 2009, in Cleveland.

The ceremony typically has been held in New York but is returning to Cleveland after more than a decade-long absence. Tickets will be made available to the public for the first time.

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five opened the door for rap at the Rock Hall as the first hip-hop act to be inducted in 2007. Now, Run-D.M.C., nominated in the first year of its eligibility, has the chance to follow on the strength of rock and rap blends such as the 1986 cover of Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" and classics like "It's Tricky" and "My Adidas."

Metallica jumped on the heavy metal wave of the '80s and 25 years later is still selling out arenas. This month the group released "Death Magnetic," which marks a return to its early speed metal days.

The Stooges, recently given props in the film "Juno," get another shot after last appearing on the ballot two years ago.

Left off the ballot were Stevie Ray Vaughan and Bon Jovi. Both had been eligible for the first time. To be nominated an act must have released its first single or album 25 years prior.

More than 500 musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote on the inductions.

___

On the Net:

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum

Old 09-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:00 PM
Kinda lame this year I don't like seeing rap acts in the HoF as it is. That's just me though.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Refugee

The RNRHOF is a joke.

Still no Rush, Yes, Genesis ?

I agree, Rap shouldn't be in there
Old 09-22-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
The RNRHOF is a joke.

Still no Rush, Yes, Genesis ?

I agree, Rap shouldn't be in there
Agreed.

Here's a list of those eligible that have not gotten in:

Future Rock Hall - Artists Currently Eligible for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
Old 09-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Agreed.

Here's a list of those eligible that have not gotten in:

Future Rock Hall - Artists Currently Eligible for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
What the hell? They didn't nominate the Smiths?!
Old 09-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
What the hell? They didn't nominate the Smiths?!
I think there might be a bias, one of many, towards beloved British artists that didn't make it very big in America. The Smiths, Kate Bush, Joy Division and others are iconic British artists that never had long term success in America and not surprisingly they have been pretty much ignored by voters.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I think there might be a bias, one of many, towards beloved British artists that didn't make it very big in America. The Smiths, Kate Bush, Joy Division and others are iconic British artists that never had long term success in America and not surprisingly they have been pretty much ignored by voters.
I don't know, I would have been better off having never seen this list of people not voted in.

Your argument would hold if it weren't for the fact that Bon Jovi got ignored. I'm not saying they're the greatest band ever, but I think at least in the US they're pretty "beloved" you know?

I mean just looking, Dire Straits, David Gilmour, WHAT THE FUCK, just noticed Peter Gabriel what is wrong with this! Genesis not being in there is a joke. UK band, yes, but just as popular here, imo.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I don't know, I would have been better off having never seen this list of people not voted in.

Your argument would hold if it weren't for the fact that Bon Jovi got ignored. I'm not saying they're the greatest band ever, but I think at least in the US they're pretty "beloved" you know?

I mean just looking, Dire Straits, David Gilmour, WHAT THE FUCK, just noticed Peter Gabriel what is wrong with this! Genesis not being in there is a joke. UK band, yes, but just as popular here, imo.
Well, there seem to be a bunch of different theories. None are perfect. Another theory is that the Hall hates prog/art rock because bands like Genesis, Rush, Yes and others aren't in but yet Pink Floyd is. There is merit to these theories but they all have exceptions.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

I don't even know why people bother paying attention to this anymore.

I disagree, however, that rap and hip hop shouldn't be part of this. Should R&B be excluded as well then? I think not.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post

I disagree, however, that rap and hip hop shouldn't be part of this. Should R&B be excluded as well then? I think not.
In the years to come to do you honestly believe acts like Eminem and Nelly should be in the Rock Hall?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
Refugee

Quote:

R&B was a precursor to Rock and is a clear part of Rock's lineage. Rap is a different offshoot than Rock is, so should not be included imnsho.

Not unless they change it to the Rock and Roll and Rap Hall of fame.

Eminem belongs in the RnR HOF as much as Black Sabbath would belong in any Rap HOF
Old 09-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
In the years to come to do you honestly believe acts like Eminem and Nelly should be in the Rock Hall?
Eminem, yes. Nelly, no way.

Hip hop is more than just the sugar-coated crap you see in the Top 40 every week. There is a lot of fascinating music being made within the genre. The Roots are a prime example of this.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
R&B was a precursor to Rock and is a clear part of Rock's lineage. Rap is a different offshoot than Rock is, so should not be included imnsho.

Not unless they change it to the Rock and Roll and Rap Hall of fame.

Eminem belongs in the RnR HOF as much as Black Sabbath would belong in any Rap HOF
Rap gets its foundation from a number of music genres, including R&B, funk, and yes, rock. It's lineage comes directly from that, so yes, it deserves inclusion.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #14
The Male

Quote:
No. But then again, I find Eminem overrated.

I think Run-D.M.C. is borderline because of the Aerosmith collaboration, which was undeniably huge for both genres.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Rap gets its foundation from a number of music genres, including R&B, funk, and yes, rock. It's lineage comes directly from that, so yes, it deserves inclusion.
But we're not talking about genres partially influenced by Rock, we're talking about Rock.

So, no, it doesn't deserve inclusion.

Tags
hall of fame, metallica