Random Music Talk CXIX: Donko Blocko

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"the band" is an excellent band name because it has a history and a real reason for being named that way and in any case "the tightest live band to ever have existed" is a bit of a mouthful. something like "anal cunt" or "fartbarf" are just stupid things edgy 12 year old sk8rbois name their band to piss off their parents.

not even in the same league of band name quality, IMO.

This.

Recently listened to Marc Maron's podcast interview with Robbie Robertson and he went into detail about the band name stuff. Fascinating hour of storytelling, btw. Love that guy.

There are SO many bands in the last page that I'm never going to listen to because I can't get past their names :uhoh:

What the hell is up with the images and watermarks on that Record Store Day page? It's so distracting and giving me a headache :|

This.

Recently listened to Marc Maron's podcast interview with Robbie Robertson and he went into detail about the band name stuff. Fascinating hour of storytelling, btw. Love that guy.

interesting, i've been meaning to check out maron's podcast since i recently finished watching his very good tv show. any other really good episodes you can recommend?

Jesus, so many. Elvis Costello. Barack Obama. Ian McKellan, Louis CK, Judd Apatow, Roger Waters...there's over 700 episodes to sift through.

I listened to the Springsteen one. It was cool, but if Maron talks about himself as much as he did on that one, that could get irritating really quick.

I usually skip past the pre-interview housekeeping tbh. Though all the build-up to the Obama interview is really great because of the momentous occasion.

Actually surprised he hasn't got Bono in there yet. He's on record as being at least a moderate fan. There's no way his people haven't tried, maybe when they're in town for the Rose Bowl shows. Maron's house is just one neighborhood over from Pasadena.

Last edited:
i enjoyed his show and most of the fictional podcast on that one involved him talking about himself and his life a lot, so i don't think that will bother me too much. i'm definitely interested in hearing all of those names you mentioned so i'll use that list as my jumping off point. thanks :up:

Ha, I was going to add that to the discussion. Local Seattle band. An acquaintance of mine is obsessed with them, photographs all their shows.

I listened to the Springsteen one. It was cool, but if Maron talks about himself as much as he did on that one, that could get irritating really quick.
He can be excruciating to listen to at times, but he gets things out of people other interviewers don't. His Norm Macdonald interview is great.

There's a really long interview by of Bob Dylan by Bill Flanagan (primarily about his new triple album of covers), and there was a question regarding something I've wondered about for a while:

For the last few years you’ve mostly been playing piano on stage, very little guitar. How come?

I play at sound checks and at home, but the chemistry is better when I’m at the piano. It changes the dynamics of the band if I play the guitar. Maybe it’s just too tedious to go back and forth from one to the other. I’m strictly a rhythm player anyway. I’m not a solo player and when the piano gets locked in with the steel guitar, it’s like big band orchestrated riffs. That doesn’t happen when I’m playing guitar. When I play guitar it’s a different band.

Very interesting. I thought he had been having some arthritis problems and had scaled back for that reason. I guess this could be a front but it seems like a legitimate explanation.

Anyway, the whole thing is worth reading:

https://bobdylan.com/news/qa-with-bill-flanagan/

I've heard overwhelmingly positive things about them, but there are too many out right now to not ruin the album in some way, so I'll set them aside for now. Maybe I'll listen to one or two of them.

Oh my God Andromeda is wonderful. Ascension is a lot of fun too.

Those are the only ones I'm listening to until the album drops.

I'm in Philly. I opted for Lyft over SEPTA for airport transport, so I cannot yet join in ye olde SEPTA jokes.

That is all.

Kendrick, Gorillaz and BSS all in one year. Damn.

Last time we got that was 2010: Overly Dedicated/Plastic Beach/Forgiveness Rock Record.

Back
Top Bottom