Radiohead: Random Hail To The Thief Talk MMCDLXXVIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn. I mean, it really doesn't matter who it was in regard to how tragic it is, but I wonder how this will affect the band. Does anyone know who the stage belonged to? Was it their crew setting it up or was it a local third party?

How are the folks on AtEase responding?

I mean, if this happened to Phallus Shoe, for example, you know that certain Interference looneys would be holding candlelight vigils like John Lennon got shot again or something.

I've seen some chatter from folks either being in the industry as stagehands or just people reporting secondhand information, but it sounds like there's some talk that when someone in charge said the roof wasn't able to hold all that extra weight (lights, etc), someone else was brought in (at Live Nation's command) to give it the go-ahead.

Just hearsay, but it certainly doesn't sound very far-fetched.

Scott was also a drum tech for Keane, White Lies and The Charlatans.

Here's Keane's statement:

We lost our great friend Scott Johnson on Saturday. Scott has been part of our touring family since 2004, working as drum tech, stage manager, and studio tech, but he gave us so much more - he saw the good in everything. He was the cheerful, dependable guy you could always turn to, who lifted the spirits of everyone around him. We can't believe he's gone. Our thoughts are with his family and friends; Radiohead and their crew. We love you Scotty, we'll miss you.

:sad:

Why hasn't our resident condolence junkie created a Scott Johnson R.I.P. thread yet?

I feel like I can't properly grieve until this happens.

Now someone over in AtEase is trying to assess whether their Toronto-specific merchandise (like posters) is more valuable because the show didn't happen and someone died, or less valuable because the show didn't happen and someone died.:|

joyfulgirl said:
Now someone over in AtEase is trying to assess whether their Toronto-specific merchandise (like posters) is more valuable because the show didn't happen and someone died, or less valuable because the show didn't happen and someone died.:|

We should do an exchange program and trade trolls/crazy posters for a month

Reading a bit of the forum this weekend, I was actually quite pleased to see that they suffer through some of the same GA / line-up / numbering drama that we do. We are not alone!

When I went to Santa Barbara with Joyful and Martha, there were a number of Atease people in line near us. I think we overheard them rumoring and talking crap on posters they didn't like in line too....just like when Interference people meet!

Mostly I was reading the forum to see if there was any consensus yet about whether Radiohead had sound checked yet but I think I will wait until some sort of official story comes out instead of wading through that mess anymore.

I took the briefest look at the Toronto thread and quickly decided I didn't want to be dragged down into it. The lack of perspective is stunning.

When I went to Santa Barbara with Joyful and Martha, there were a number of Atease people in line near us. I think we overheard them rumoring and talking crap on posters they didn't like in line too....just like when Interference people meet!

Does that mean that they're just like us? :eek:
Or that we are just like other people? :shocked:

I wouldn't say just like us. I posted on Atease for about 4 months (mostly in the general music section), and finally stopped when I realized that there wasn't a single person there I wanted to interact with. :wink:

It was nice that they have far more people posting in that section than we do though, and that they cover a lot of different types of artists that likely wouldn't get mentioned here. Aside from that, I've never had the desire to go back.

Yeah, at least not all of the dates will be affected. Sad to hear that that the lighting and other essential equipment was destroyed, lots of innovative technology involved.

Hello everyone,

As you will probably have heard the roof over the stage collapsed at our show in Toronto killing crew member Scott Johnson and injuring three other crew members. The collapse also destroyed the light show – this show was unique and will take many weeks to replace. The collapse also caused serious damage to our backline, some elements of which are decades old and therefore hard to replace.

Whilst we all are dealing with the grief and shock ensuing from this terrible accident there are also many practical considerations to deal with & consequently we have to try and reschedule the following shows:

June
30 Roma Hippodrome Capanelle

July
1 Firenze Parco delle Cascine
3 Bologna Arena Parco Nord
4 Codroipo Villa Manin
6 Berlin Wuhlheide
7 Berlin Wuhlheiee
9 St Triphon Carriere des Andonces

We aim to announce the new dates for these shows on Wednesday 27th of June and will also supply information on how to obtain refunds on tickets if you cannot come to the show on the new date.

We will start playing live again at Les Arenes Nimes, Bilbao BBK festival and Lisbon Optimus Alive festival.

We will make every effort to offer the fans the very best show possible under the circumstances – thanks for your understanding and support.

European Shows - RADIOHEAD | Dead Air Space

Ah well, there goes my Berlin show. Completely understandable, and I'm not that bummed out since I have two Pearl Jam shows in Berlin just before the postponed Radiohead show. :drool:

I'll see them soon enough! Rumour is the rescheduled dates are going to be in September.

That was to be expected. Shame, but still understandable. I hope there will be refunds for the tickets acquired, because I cannot go to any other date than the original one. However, I hope that they will be able to solve the problems and can make sure everyone will be safe.

Because I hate Radiohead fans.

No, I found an odd bit of minor comfort in knowing that the fans of other bands suffer through some of the same fan bullshit that we do. We're not special snowflakes when it comes to our fan drama.

I also found it interesting a few years ago to see Bruce Springsteen fans griping about the GA setup and whining "why can't Bruce do it like U2 does???"

Grass is always greener on the other side of the GA fence, I guess.

It's all good if you buy douchebag seats every time and wait to leave until after everyone else has filed out/leave at the encore break. Don't really have to deal with anyone that way.

I've had a euphoric "zomg I love music so much" moment at nearly every gig I've been to. Comparatively, that happens to me once out of about every 30 albums I listen to at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom