Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After 10 days or so, it has continued to get better for me. Initially I thought this album lacked high peaks, but now it feels like Burning the Witch, Identikit, Full Stop and The Numbers provide just that, interspersed with the beauty and sadness of Daydreaming, Tinker Tailor and True Love Waits.

There's one thing I'm not a fan of in this album: the Bossa Nova-style, rattle-like percussion sound (maracas maybe?) in Present Tense. For some reason I find it quite annoying.

Last edited:
There's one thing I'm not a fan of in this album: the Bossa Nova-style, rattle-like percussion sound (maracas maybe?) in Present Tense. For some reason I find it quite annoying.

Finally was able to give it a road trip few listens and Present Tense has now emerged as my least favorite song, though I still quite like it. The record is so beautiful to listen to straight through that after all these many listens I still don't skip anything, not that I normally do with Radiohead anyway but sometimes I just have to hear that one song right away (like All I Need).

Had not picked up on the Decks Dark-Subterranean connection because I hadn't really tuned into the lyrics til now. Even so, it had become one of my favorites the last week or so.

Last edited:
The Numbers does nothing for me. One of my least favorite tracks. Maybe it'll grow, maybe it'll come alive live. But meh

Okay so I finally got the time to sit down with this shit.

Maybe I built up NEW RADIOHEAD ALBUM slightly too much. But my first listen**************** was a bit underwhelming.

My immediate reaction is: A Moon Shaped Pool is impenetrable as fuck. There's a definite mood/vibe, and it sticks to it throughout. It has some beautiful moments, and I hope like hell it will grow on me, but I can't say my first listen was the transformative, life-changing beauty I was hoping for.

For your next listen, grab a drink, pull up the lyrics and follow along. I liked the album from minute one and wouldn't say it's anywhere near as impenetrable as Kid A, but it wasn't until I caught onto the emotional arc of the record that I fell in love with it. I was a mess by the time True Love Waits came on. It's not just lovely background music, it's the soundtrack of a man on the brink.

But even if it were instrumental, the production and instrumentation of this album is so detailed and skillfully crafted that I would love it anyway. It's like Sea Change in that way. The Numbers reminds me of Paper Tiger, actually.

Last edited:
I find this album to be both deeply beautiful and deeply unsettling. Agreed with LM that you can hear Thom, or whatever version of him is being displayed, unraveling, but the sense of calm in the instrumentation and vocal deliveries given the subject matter is almost startling. This is really the brilliance of Radiohead, these kinds of paradoxes of message and execution.

I'm trying not to read too much so not gonna go through this thread yet. May try your suggestion, LM, have you come across any site with accurate lyrics? I'm guessing Genius..?

I took this photo when they played Ful Stop in 2012. It was wicked, but I can't remember anything about it. How long has True Love Waits been lying around?

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-20%20at%202.43.57%20pm_zpsif5iqjii.png

How long has True Love Waits been lying around?

I'm so glad you asked.

"True Love Waits" is a song by alternative rock band Radiohead. The song was first played in 1995, while the band were touring for their second studio album The Bends. The song was first released as part of the live album I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings in the form of a simple acoustic ballad, played solo by lead singer Thom Yorke in 2001. The song's brief lyrics are about a narrator's longing for true love, and the "simple desire not to be alone". The song was well received by both critics and fans, and has gone on to become a fan favourite. The song has also been played at live concerts as an introduction to "Everything in Its Right Place", accompanied by synthesizers instead of acoustic guitar and with vocal effects applied to Yorke's vocals.

Despite its popularity among fans, a studio version of "True Love Waits" was not released until 2016, when it appeared as the final track on Radiohead's ninth album, A Moon Shaped Pool.

Radiohead began performing "True Love Waits" live in 1995, during the Bends era. Over the years, it became one of their most requested live songs. Radiohead attempted recording the song during the sessions for Kid A (2000) and Amnesiac (2001), but were not satisfied with the results. The version released on the I Might Be Wrong live EP was recorded in a performance in Los Angeles on 20 August 2001.

Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich said of the song in 2012: "We tried to record it countless times, but it never worked ... To [songwriter Thom Yorke's] credit, he needs to feel a song has validation, that it has a reason to exist as a recording. We could do 'True Love Waits' and make it sound like John Mayer. Nobody wants to do that."

A "straightforward" acoustic song, "True Love Waits" was played solo by frontman Thom Yorke for I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings. Pitchfork Media described the song as having "signature unexpected chord changes and a melody that both aches and soothes". It is the last song on I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings, which, according to Marianne Letts in her book Radiohead and the Resistant Concept Album, is an "encore" of the EP. The sound quality of the track is good, although the noise of the crowd can occasionally be heard through the song. The lyrics of the song describe a protagonist, declaring he will "drown his beliefs" and "dress like your niece" for an unnamed lover. Yorke explained the latter statement: "the difference between young and old [is] when people start to dress sensible and act their age. This person is offering not to do that to keep the other." In the chorus, he begs the lover "just don't leave". The second verse describes the lover's "tiny hands" and "crazy kitten smile" although he also says that he is "not living, just killing time." Around three minutes into the song, Yorke sings the line "true love waits in haunted attics and true love lives on lollipops and crisps". Yorke said that the phrase "lollipops and crisps" was inspired by a story he knew about a child who was locked in his house for a week and survived by eating junk food. According to Letts, the image of an "abandoned and forgotten child slowly dying" could be likened to "Radiohead's status within the record industry."

"True Love Waits" received acclaim from critics; some of which named it the highlight of the EP. Matt LeMay of Pitchfork Media wrote that the song is "absolutely gorgeous" and "makes a very welcome ending to I Might Be Wrong." Along with "Like Spinning Plates", Pitchfork stated "True Love Waits" "justified the existence" of the EP. The NME complimented Yorke's vocals on the song, calling it "a sound so clear and true that it's obvious why he's been making doe-eyes in interviews towards the electric guitar again." Nicholas Taylor of PopMatters highly praised the song, saying that "True Love Waits" "is a bittersweet victory of love, plain and simple." He also wrote that the song "shows that behind all of Radiohead’s modernist nightmares is a fragile, desperate desire to connect, fully and meaningfully, with just one person." The song was also well received by fans, as it went on to become a fan favourite.

Reviewing A Moon Shaped Pool, Rolling Stone wrote that "True Love Waits" was "worth the wait ... the effect is like stumbling upon an old love letter years after a relationship has grown cold. Where there was once a hint of redemption in its devastating refrain, 'Just don't leave' now sounds like the longest (and saddest) goodbye."

Last edited:
I guess you could say that, but personally I didn't remember anything about any of these songs.

i could be totally wrong about any of them other than true love waits, cos i haven't listened (and probably won't) to this album. the titles just looked familiar. maybe someone else had those named songs.

:up:

And yeah, genius is the place to look because they compile everything so conveniently.

Along with Ful Stop, Identikit and True Love Waits being previously preformed, Burn the Witch has been kicking around as a rumored song title for a while now. Present Tense had a past life under a different title. Lift was apparently recorded for this album as well. It's a total content dump, which makes it all the more conspicuous that so many of these songs concern isolation and depression.

For your next listen, grab a drink, pull up the lyrics and follow along. I liked the album from minute one and wouldn't say it's anywhere near as impenetrable as Kid A, but it wasn't until I caught onto the emotional arc of the record that I fell in love with it. I was a mess by the time True Love Waits came on. It's not just lovely background music, it's the soundtrack of a man on the brink.

You think Kid A is impenetrable? No way. It took me a little while but Optimistic and Idioteque at the very least grab you on first listen. Nothing really grabbed me aside from Burn the Witch.

Anyway. Listening again. Daydreaming is lovely.

amnesiac is impenatrable. kid A is great. still not a radiohead fan.

:up:

And yeah, genius is the place to look because they compile everything so conveniently.

Along with Ful Stop, Identikit and True Love Waits being previously preformed, Burn the Witch has been kicking around as a rumored song title for a while now. Present Tense had a past life under a different title. Lift was apparently recorded for this album as well. It's a total content dump, which makes it all the more conspicuous that so many of these songs concern isolation and depression.

I believe it's The Numbers that had a past life under a different title (Silent Spring).

Present Tense is the same Present Tense that Yorke debuted acoustically a while back.

You think Kid A is impenetrable? No way. It took me a little while but Optimistic and Idioteque at the very least grab you on first listen. Nothing really grabbed me aside from Burn the Witch.

Anyway. Listening again. Daydreaming is lovely.

I don't think I've ever had a first listen of an album I've eventually loved go worse than that first listen to Kid A. I had no experience with electronic music and it sounded cold, soulless, and irritating to me. Got nothing from it whatsoever.

It is a very anxious and alien soundscape. I still think that. But there's a lot of warmth and humanity in there as well, kind of like Zooropa in that regard but buried a bit deeper.

I believe it's The Numbers that had a past life under a different title (Silent Spring).

Present Tense is the same Present Tense that Yorke debuted acoustically a while back.

I keep mixing Silent Spring up. Yes, you're right. Present Tense isn't new but it's not the one that had a title change.

I'm glad that I mostly avoided live videos this time around. I could sing along to half of In Rainbows on first listen because of those 2006 tour bootlegs.

Last edited:
I like the breakdown two-thirds of the way through Identikit. And I love the solo at the end, I wish it went longer.

Where did you look up the lyrics LM?

amnesiac is impenatrable. kid A is great. still not a radiohead fan.

That's definitely a word I'd use to describe Amnesiac, although I know it has its lovers here. I've warmed to it - and love Packt, Pyramid Song, Life in a Glasshouse - but it's not an easy listen.

Man I cannot fucking wait for the physical release. I think the first listen would have gone better if I had a physical copy.

Where did you look up the lyrics LM?

That's definitely a word I'd use to describe Amnesiac, although I know it has its lovers here. I've warmed to it - and love Packt, Pyramid Song, Life in a Glasshouse - but it's not an easy listen.

Man I cannot fucking wait for the physical release. I think the first listen would have gone better if I had a physical copy.

http://genius.com/albums/Radiohead/A-moon-shaped-pool

It's funny, Amnesiac was a piece of cake for me. Not all of it, but it is a more grounded record in terms of song structure. Pyramid Song, I Might Be Wrong and Knives Out had proper single releases for a reason; there's more to grab onto as far as individual tracks go. Parts of it are fucking wild though.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever had a first listen of an album I've eventually loved go worse than that first listen to Kid A. I had no experience with electronic music and it sounded cold, soulless, and irritating to me. Got nothing from it whatsoever.

It is a very anxious and alien soundscape. I still think that. But there's a lot of warmth and humanity in there as well, kind of like Zooropa in that regard but buried a bit deeper.

Definitely. Despite the cold production, it's actually one of the more emotional records I've heard. Especially How To Disappear Completely and Motion Picture Soundtrack. And Everything In Its Right Place.

I mean, in How To Disappear, at the end, there's this two note vocal(I think) repetition, four times, and then on the fifth, the second note is higher and is held longer, and there's just something about it that guts me every time.

I'm glad that I mostly avoided live videos this time around. I could sing along to half of In Rainbows on first listen because of those 2006 tour bootlegs.

Same. The only thing I'd heard before was Identikit, I watched video of it a couple times like four years ago or whenever it was they were on tour for KOL, but prior to hearing AMSP, I couldn't have hummed a note of Identikit if my life depended on it, I didn't remember how it went at all. So I went in with a clean slate.

Last edited:
Fuck, Burn the Witch is such a good song. Watching it with the video, with them all waving as someone burns in the tower, gives me the shivers.

Although not, as it turns out, terribly indicative of the album, I reckon Burn The Witch was a nice little shot across the bows to let people know they're back. A great choice of 'single' (if that is what it is, who knows anymore).

Okay, I have to post something... this album is killing me right now!!

After roughly 2 to 3 listens all the way through, I cannot decide if this is the best album since In Rainbows or Hail to the Thief or even fucking Kid A. So so good!

A few random thoughts:

We know where you live is the new I will eat you alive. Love the col legno strings!

Daydreaming took a bit of warming up to, but once it hits you... my God! Fantastic. Not a huge fan of that backward vocal ending though, but I understand its significance for Thom.

Decks Dark is pretty awesome especially lyrically (the outer space analogies are back!) and that ending jam is hypnotic.

DI Disk I had to warm up to but I have to say now that it is very nice... almost refreshingly new after a classic Radioheadesque track.

You really messed up everything! We've got a few more classic Radiohead one-liners now after a 5 year wait.

Identikit starts out okay but becomes super super awesome about midway starting with the broken hearts make it rain... and stays awesome until the end.

The Numbers.... oh my.... this might be my number one (pun intended) favourite here! It's magical.... no other word to describe the atmosphere and the lovely 90s alt-rock style guitar chords here.

The Faust Arp of this album, Present Tense definitely took some warming up to. Didn't like it at first. Funny how that opinion changed. I'll be dancing.... freakin' out.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief (yes I decided to type the whole thing) is so so quintessentially Radiohead! Slow eerie almost industrial sounding percussion and atmosphere. Tried to picture the 2011 movie in my head but that didn't help because unfortunately I slept through it at the time. Shameful I know!

True Love Waits. Wow! I didn't even remember this track from the old CD (I still don't remember what album it was on) but this version is so calming, yet so sad. Perfect end.

Radiohead obsession time has begun again!... just when I was trying to delve deeper into Black Sabbath's discography.. damn it!

Bring out the Zoomerangs, the lmjhitmen, Calluna, impy13 and the other kooks out there!

I think for me Ful Stop is one of the first indications that we're getting something more than 'just another Radiohead album'. That one is a monster.

Thank you. I honestly didn't have much expectation from them because I was somewhat disappointed with Limbs, though I did enjoy a few songs there. Gonna give that one another spin today maybe. A second chance sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom