Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool - Page 47 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter

Old 10-16-2016, 05:34 AM   #691
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:49 PM
Cobbler I agree, Tinker Tailor is my least favorite track. I adore literally everything else.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:44 AM   #692
A childless dog

Local Time: 09:49 PM
I don't have strong enough negative feelings toward any track on AMSP to call it a least favorite. There's a lower tier of 7.5 or 8/10 songs, but that's it. It's one of their most consistently strong albums for sure.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:02 AM   #693
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:49 AM
Tinker Tailor is one of my favourites. The string-heavy ending and Ed's guitar work are fantastic.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:03 AM   #694
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Yeah, I agree with djerdap. Tinker Tailor takes a bit to get going, but the climactic string crescendo is one of the highlights of the album for me. Highly evocative.

True Love Waits is such a great song. The album version is gut-wrenching in a reflecting-on-love-lost kind of way, beautiful in its own right, and I can really feel Thom's pain, but the song originally was much more uplifting.

We all know the IMBW official live version from 2001, but check this out(I've shared this before, but just in case anyone missed it) - somebody basically superimposed a bunch of instrumentation over said official live version to create a pretty accurate(I think) and really fucking good approximation of what it would it might've sounded like had the band recorded for, say, The Bends. Some people in the comments there even prefer it to the album version.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:08 AM   #695
45:33

Local Time: 04:49 PM
For a band who've done lots of very moving, evocative acoustic guitar pieces, I find the effort in that live version to be pretty generic and a bit boring to be perfectly honest. Muuuuuuuuuuuch prefer the piano.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:22 AM   #696
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Are you talking the official live version or the embellishment of it in my previous post(or both)? I wouldn't really agree with what you said about either but I'd understand your critique of the former; the added strings/guitar tones/synths in the latter kill me and give the song a Shuttlecock-circa-1987 type liftoff imo.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:29 AM   #697

The former I guess. I didn't listen to the fan version all the way through. Strictly talking about the acoustic guitar
Old 10-17-2016, 01:31 AM   #698
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Gotcha. Yeah, the fan version picks up halfway through and adds a bunch of instrumentation. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I love it. You should give it a listen.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:33 AM   #699
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

True Love Waits definitely got videotaped. The damage is not nearly as bad though; I still kind of like it, but I really miss that acoustic guitar.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:37 AM   #700
A childless dog

Local Time: 09:49 PM
After hearing the AMSP version, I haven't really had any desire to go back to the IMBW version. I've listened to the band's reimagining of it so many times that the song has been totally warped for me. A more "upbeat" take would feel disingenuous at this point.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #701

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
True Love Waits definitely got videotaped. The damage is not nearly as bad though; I still kind of like it, but I really miss that acoustic guitar.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you also prefer the "rock" version of Kid A to the album version if I'm not mistaken, which is a verifiably wrong opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 10-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #702
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

"Rock" version.

The closest analogy I can think of about the Berlin 2000 version of Kid A is that it is to many Radiohead fans what something like ZooTV Bullet or R&H WOWY are to U2 fans. And I actually like it just as much as the studio version - I wouldn't say at this point that it is superior, only a different take on a masterful track.

I could just imagine somebody like yourself on a Radiohead forum spewing about "verifiably wrong opinions" on live versions of U2 songs that have enormous reputations here. That's how silly your stance is, apart from, you know, subjectivity and all that.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #703
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
After hearing the AMSP version, I haven't really had any desire to go back to the IMBW version. I've listened to the band's reimagining of it so many times that the song has been totally warped for me. A more "upbeat" take would feel disingenuous at this point.
Same. I never quite understood the worship for the acoustic live versions; now it seems particularly clear that format prevented the song from achieving the atmosphere and depth of the AMSP version. Plus in general I think piano is an instrument well-suited to that type of forlorn mood.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:08 AM   #704
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:49 PM
I'm still having a hard time with this album. Objectively, I admire it as a collection of tracks (though I'm not sure how well they hang together apart from being on the same disc). Subjectively, I feel like I'm on the outside of a pane of glass looking in a good bit of the time.

Glass Eyes is a bit precious for mine; I'd like to like it more, but it left the tune back at the train station.

Ful Stop and Identikit do very much hold up for me six months later, very strong stuff, the former in particular is an utter monster. The 'broken hearts make it rain' middle section on the latter takes an interesting cast on this album version, some years after the song first surfaced (I'm not a muso, but the way the melody shifts slightly).

I have mixed feelings about The Numbers on a lyrical level (it could almost be called 'Nice Dream 2'), but it is so damn good on a musical level.

I love Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Fuckup. Nothing terribly insightful to say about it as I haven't a clue what he's on about, but interesting musically.

Burn The Witch is still pretty much my favourite; it's unusually to-the-point, jaunty yet menacing, which makes it, without being dumbed-down, a bona fide awesome pop song from Radiohead.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:41 AM   #705
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:49 AM
They are playing Glastonbury next year. More shows in the works?