Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter

Old 05-20-2016, 01:58 AM   #286
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:03 PM
amnesiac is impenatrable. kid A is great. still not a radiohead fan.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:01 AM   #287
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post

And yeah, genius is the place to look because they compile everything so conveniently.

Along with Ful Stop, Identikit and True Love Waits being previously preformed, Burn the Witch has been kicking around as a rumored song title for a while now. Present Tense had a past life under a different title. Lift was apparently recorded for this album as well. It's a total content dump, which makes it all the more conspicuous that so many of these songs concern isolation and depression.
I believe it's The Numbers that had a past life under a different title (Silent Spring).

Present Tense is the same Present Tense that Yorke debuted acoustically a while back.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:01 AM   #288
A childless dog

Local Time: 12:03 PM
Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
You think Kid A is impenetrable? No way. It took me a little while but Optimistic and Idioteque at the very least grab you on first listen. Nothing really grabbed me aside from Burn the Witch.

Anyway. Listening again. Daydreaming is lovely.

I don't think I've ever had a first listen of an album I've eventually loved go worse than that first listen to Kid A. I had no experience with electronic music and it sounded cold, soulless, and irritating to me. Got nothing from it whatsoever.

It is a very anxious and alien soundscape. I still think that. But there's a lot of warmth and humanity in there as well, kind of like Zooropa in that regard but buried a bit deeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
I believe it's The Numbers that had a past life under a different title (Silent Spring).

Present Tense is the same Present Tense that Yorke debuted acoustically a while back.

I keep mixing Silent Spring up. Yes, you're right. Present Tense isn't new but it's not the one that had a title change.

I'm glad that I mostly avoided live videos this time around. I could sing along to half of In Rainbows on first listen because of those 2006 tour bootlegs.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:06 AM   #289
45:33

Local Time: 07:03 AM
I like the breakdown two-thirds of the way through Identikit. And I love the solo at the end, I wish it went longer.

Where did you look up the lyrics LM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
amnesiac is impenatrable. kid A is great. still not a radiohead fan.
That's definitely a word I'd use to describe Amnesiac, although I know it has its lovers here. I've warmed to it - and love Packt, Pyramid Song, Life in a Glasshouse - but it's not an easy listen.

Man I cannot fucking wait for the physical release. I think the first listen would have gone better if I had a physical copy.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:10 AM   #290
A childless dog

Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Where did you look up the lyrics LM?

That's definitely a word I'd use to describe Amnesiac, although I know it has its lovers here. I've warmed to it - and love Packt, Pyramid Song, Life in a Glasshouse - but it's not an easy listen.

Man I cannot fucking wait for the physical release. I think the first listen would have gone better if I had a physical copy.

http://genius.com/albums/Radiohead/A-moon-shaped-pool

It's funny, Amnesiac was a piece of cake for me. Not all of it, but it is a more grounded record in terms of song structure. Pyramid Song, I Might Be Wrong and Knives Out had proper single releases for a reason; there's more to grab onto as far as individual tracks go. Parts of it are fucking wild though.

Now.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:31 AM   #291
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I don't think I've ever had a first listen of an album I've eventually loved go worse than that first listen to Kid A. I had no experience with electronic music and it sounded cold, soulless, and irritating to me. Got nothing from it whatsoever.

It is a very anxious and alien soundscape. I still think that. But there's a lot of warmth and humanity in there as well, kind of like Zooropa in that regard but buried a bit deeper.
Definitely. Despite the cold production, it's actually one of the more emotional records I've heard. Especially How To Disappear Completely and Motion Picture Soundtrack. And Everything In Its Right Place.

I mean, in How To Disappear, at the end, there's this two note vocal(I think) repetition, four times, and then on the fifth, the second note is higher and is held longer, and there's just something about it that guts me every time.

Quote:
I'm glad that I mostly avoided live videos this time around. I could sing along to half of In Rainbows on first listen because of those 2006 tour bootlegs.
Same. The only thing I'd heard before was Identikit, I watched video of it a couple times like four years ago or whenever it was they were on tour for KOL, but prior to hearing AMSP, I couldn't have hummed a note of Identikit if my life depended on it, I didn't remember how it went at all. So I went in with a clean slate.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:53 AM   #292
45:33

Local Time: 07:03 AM
Fuck, Burn the Witch is such a good song. Watching it with the video, with them all waving as someone burns in the tower, gives me the shivers.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:15 AM   #293
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:03 AM
Although not, as it turns out, terribly indicative of the album, I reckon Burn The Witch was a nice little shot across the bows to let people know they're back. A great choice of 'single' (if that is what it is, who knows anymore).
Old 05-20-2016, 03:24 AM   #294
War Child

Local Time: 10:03 PM
Okay, I have to post something... this album is killing me right now!!

After roughly 2 to 3 listens all the way through, I cannot decide if this is the best album since In Rainbows or Hail to the Thief or even fucking Kid A. So so good!

A few random thoughts:

We know where you live is the new I will eat you alive. Love the col legno strings!

Daydreaming took a bit of warming up to, but once it hits you... my God! Fantastic. Not a huge fan of that backward vocal ending though, but I understand its significance for Thom.

Decks Dark is pretty awesome especially lyrically (the outer space analogies are back!) and that ending jam is hypnotic.

DI Disk I had to warm up to but I have to say now that it is very nice... almost refreshingly new after a classic Radioheadesque track.

You really messed up everything! We've got a few more classic Radiohead one-liners now after a 5 year wait.

Identikit starts out okay but becomes super super awesome about midway starting with the broken hearts make it rain... and stays awesome until the end.

The Numbers.... oh my.... this might be my number one (pun intended) favourite here! It's magical.... no other word to describe the atmosphere and the lovely 90s alt-rock style guitar chords here.

The Faust Arp of this album, Present Tense definitely took some warming up to. Didn't like it at first. Funny how that opinion changed. I'll be dancing.... freakin' out.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief (yes I decided to type the whole thing) is so so quintessentially Radiohead! Slow eerie almost industrial sounding percussion and atmosphere. Tried to picture the 2011 movie in my head but that didn't help because unfortunately I slept through it at the time. Shameful I know!

True Love Waits. Wow! I didn't even remember this track from the old CD (I still don't remember what album it was on) but this version is so calming, yet so sad. Perfect end.

Radiohead obsession time has begun again!... just when I was trying to delve deeper into Black Sabbath's discography.. damn it!

Bring out the Zoomerangs, the lmjhitmen, Calluna, impy13 and the other kooks out there!
Old 05-20-2016, 03:27 AM   #295
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm intrigued now, LemonMirrorSky. You joined in 2013 yet you know who Calluna is. Interesting.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:27 AM   #296
A childless dog

Welcome back

Now.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:30 AM   #297
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
I'm intrigued now, LemonMirrorSky. You joined in 2013 yet you know who Calluna is. Interesting.
ffs! I'm Zoots I used to be Zoots, alright?... Now let's forget he ever existed.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:31 AM   #298
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I think for me Ful Stop is one of the first indications that we're getting something more than 'just another Radiohead album'. That one is a monster.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:31 AM   #299
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMirrorSky View Post
ffs! I'm Zoots I used to be Zoots, alright?... Now let's forget he ever existed.
I genuinely didn't know that. Hey, welcome back!
Old 05-20-2016, 03:35 AM   #300
War Child

Thank you. I honestly didn't have much expectation from them because I was somewhat disappointed with Limbs, though I did enjoy a few songs there. Gonna give that one another spin today maybe. A second chance sort of thing.