R.E.M. - upcoming album 'Collapse Into Now' / General Discussion - Page 43 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #631
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:53 PM
It's a shame we no longer have the Shuttlecock website to refer people to.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #632
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:53 AM
I don't take Collapse Into Now as a huge new direction, but it is a much crisper and more layered sound than they've had since Up, and features the most interesting variety since New Adventures, and in the case of R.E.M., variety is what I value in place of cohesion with pretty much any other artist. It seems like a reflection on the various eras of R.E.M., and with its ending and overall feel it very much seems like this could variably be a career capper or a more sure footing into the energetic resurgence they kicked off with Accelerate. I'd say if it was the end of their career I really doubt they wouldn't do a killer last tour.

Laz, your opinion is your own but one thing, your comment about the first 2 rockers on Accelerate, though I'm no big fan of Man-Sized Wreath I do think Living Well Is The Best Revenge is definitely a substantial track on that album.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #633
Blue Crack Supplier

I don't find it to be more diverse than Up.

Just look a the first 9 songs or so on the latter and tell me what they have in common. Not much.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #634
Blue Crack Addict

Airportman-Lotus-Suspicion-Hope alone make a solid argument for UP being one of their most versatile albums to date.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #635
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:53 AM
After a few listens today, I'd say it's a decent album, probably on par with Accelerate for me. Love the start with the first three songs, and then it meanders a bit with a few songs that really aren't anything special. Things get better with Mine Smell Like Honey, Alligator, and That Someone Is You - really like those songs.

I don't understand the high praise for Blue. Quite frankly, I think it sucks, and they sound like they are trying too hard to churn out another Country Feedback or E-Bow.

So overall, it's certainly not a bad album. I found it enjoyable for the most part.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #636
Refugee

Local Time: 10:53 PM
I really loved the album. From start to finish I enjoyed it.

Everyone's got their own opinions as always
Old 03-09-2011, 01:39 AM   #637
Refugee

I wish the songs weren’t so damn short!

Michael Stipe’s vocals are clearly not what they used to be. His voice seemed a lot stronger even on Accelerate and sometimes I just wish he would sing and seem excited now and then!

Also, the “Hey, hey, alligator, you’ve got a lot to learn” line ruins an otherwise awesome song.

Also, the "Pull me up and out of cartoon quicksand" line ruins an otherwise decent song.

BUT, beyond that I pretty much love everything about this album

Blue gives me goosebumps every time. It Happened Today is just about the greatest thing since sliced bread. Uberlin is beautiful. All the Best ROCKS. I would LOVE to see them make a couple late night TV performances so we can see some of these songs live.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:48 AM   #638
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjboog View Post
Also, the "Pull me up and out of cartoon quicksand" line ruins an otherwise decent song.
Especially when he used "cartoon brick wall" on Up.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:33 AM   #639
Refugee

Anticipating this album has also reminded me of the importance of being patient when awaiting an album release you're very excited about.

I probably read 15 reviews for this album before it came out just because I was excited to see it was getting generally good reviews. And I probably listened to It Happened Today, Discoverer, Mine Smells Like Honey, and Oh My Heart about 10 times each before the album came out today. It's just never quite the same when you've heard some of the songs. Also reading so many reviews beforehand gets you thinking about other people's opinions before you even have a chance to formulate your own.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #640
Blue Crack Distributor

I listened to about the first half of the album on the way in to work this morning. So far, I really like what I've heard. A few bright spots, nothing I flat-out hate. Yet.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #641
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
I've listened once all the way through and I'm about halfway through the second time. I expected to be bored by this album but I'm actually quite enjoying it.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #642
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:53 AM
A few more listens and I find myself liking this even more. There are still a few songs that I dislike, most notably Oh My Heart and Blue, but overall, this is fairly good.

Combine the best tracks of this and Accelerate and you've got a damn good playlist for current R.E.M.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #643
Blue Crack Supplier

the more i hear "discoverer," the more i really like that song. like phanan said, the more i listen to it the more i like.

i do hate the lyrics in a few parts. "oh my heart" and "it happened today" make me cringe, despite that there are other parts of both songs that i actually like quite a bit.

alligator is great. so is uberlin.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #644
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm warming up to Uberlin, mainly the verse and the bridge. But that chorus is corny, and again, too reminiscent of Electrolite.

Also, there's just no two ways about it, Oh My Heart is an eye-rolling turkey. And boring. It's not offensive to the ears like Ignoreland, but does nothing for me.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #645
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:53 AM
Just completed my first full run of the album. I'm a big REM fan, so I may be a little biased, but I really like this album. After being let down by so many bands recently, it's good to be genuinely impressed upon first listen. If this were to be their last album (which I think it might be, if not 2nd to last) I'd say it's a really great way to end a great career.