R.E.M. have broken up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, lets compare the stats for the last album/tour for both U2 and R.E.M.

U2 - NLOTH - sold about 4 million copies worldwide.
R.E.M. - Collapse into Now - sold just under 400,000 copies worldwide.

U2 - 360 tour - GROSSED - $736 million
R.E.M. - Collapse into Now tour - GROSSED - less than $30 million

U2's 360 tour broke all gross and attendance records in history. It is the highest attended tour of all time. NLOTH was the 7th biggest selling album around the world in 2009.

R.E.M.'s Collapse into Now was the lowest seller of their entire career, although a big reason for that is the collapse of the entire music industry in terms of selling albums.

On the tour R.E.M. largest crowd in the United States was less than 14,000 despite only playing 14 shows in the United States.

The two bands could not be at more different places in terms of commercial sales of albums and concert tickets. U2 is at the top of everything, while R.E.M. is near the bottom, at least in terms of being popular and widely recognized for their latest efforts on tour and in the studio.

Now, I think Collapse Into Me is a great album and I think R.E.M. is an amazing live band and I am shocked that they are suddenly breaking up. Unfortunately, the general public and much of their old fan base either has not heard their new material, or has simply turned away. I'm not saying that had anything to do with them breaking up, but I'm still puzzled as to why they won't continue as a band. Why not take a break for a number of years and then get back together. Why break up if there are no personal differences and everyone still loves and enjoys making music?

I wonder sometimes if the remaining band members have grown apart. I think all of them live in different states in the US. Although some people will claim being in your 50s is old, its not. It might be if you play NFL football, but its not if your a musician. The Rolling Stones are about to go into their 70s in the next year or two and they still have a new album and tour planned for 2012.

Many people often ask U2 why they don't break up. What they have said is that they all love making and performing music. So then the next thing they think is who they would like to do that with, and the same names come up each time.

now i remember why i never go into the sub-forum where people crunch u2's sales numbers.

U2 - 360 tour - GROSSED - $736 million
R.E.M. - Collapse into Now tour - GROSSED - less than $30 million

On the tour R.E.M. largest crowd in the United States was less than 14,000 despite only playing 14 shows in the United States.

Dude, what are you talking about?

R.E.M. didn't tour for Collapse Into Now.

Are you thinking of the Accelerate tour in 2008? That was their last tour.

You know what. Nevermind.

I wonder sometimes if the remaining band members have grown apart. I think all of them live in different states in the US.
I am guessing that you've hit on it here. When you only see one another when it's time to make an album, the "band" is really already out the window and you're now creating a collective product.

Maybe the act of going through the old records and such to compile the collection forced them to admit how distant they are now as compared to back in the day when they were all on the same page.

no, he's talking about the fictional tour to support the imaginary album, "collapse into me."

This news certainly hasnt made my day any better

Then again

Neither did their music :(

More of R.E.M. went about telling the truth in their songs, rather than try to make us feel better about ourselves

Which is ironic because everyone saw them as a mainstream pop/ rock band

Sad news, one of my favourite band......

I feel like we (fans of 80's band) will have some pretty rough years comming up... it won't be the last break up. U2, Depeche Mode, The Cure, etc.... damn time is a bitch.

By the way, I love the album "Accelerate", I think it's one of their best.

Yes, the last tour, in 2008, which was for Accelerate. Just got a little mixed up when making a comparison between last albums and tours for the two bands.

I am guessing that you've hit on it here. When you only see one another when it's time to make an album, the "band" is really already out the window and you're now creating a collective product.

Maybe the act of going through the old records and such to compile the collection forced them to admit how distant they are now as compared to back in the day when they were all on the same page.

Also, maybe there were disagreements about touring. Interesting thing about U2 is that they all still have their primary homes in Dublin as well as their immediate and extended families. Then Edge and Bono both share a house in France, and Adam and Larry have houses not to far away. It seems Edge and Bono still see each other very often outside of the band. In fact, Edge's house is just up the street from Bono's in Killaney which are their Dublin area homes.

Then Edge and Bono both share a house in France, and Adam and Larry have houses not to far away. It seems Edge and Bono still see each other very often outside of the band. In fact, Edge's house is just up the street from Bono's in Killaney which are their Dublin area homes.

How many locks of Bono's hair have you stolen in the middle of the night?

8 of the 9 news items that spawn on the yahoo page when i open a browser window are stupid puns referring to rem breaking up. the last one has something to do with skype phone adapters. well, that's random.

Wow. I was not expecting this. :sad: One of my favorite bands, and one of the bands I really want to see live. What an amazing band.

Poor R.E.M. I think the combination of Bill Berry leaving and Michael Stipe's sexuality being revealed (to me it was never any question he was gay, but who cares?) lead to their fall in popularity. They really did continue to make great music and put on great live shows... people just simply stopped caring. I'm not really sure why. They lacked all things that appealed to the standard music fan. No searing guitar solos or jam sessions, no real sex appeal, and no pandering gimmicks. For awhile that WAS the cool thing, when alternative rock was big, but now that has passed and people's attention spans are shorter than ever.

Anyway, my top 10 songs:
Perfect Circle
Harborcoat
Fall on me
Begin the begin
Finest Worksong
Nightswimming
Find the river
Leave
At your most beautiful
Leaving New York

Had all day to stew on this and still feeling bummed. Went out to the pub, had some red wine, but still :( Maybe I need to pull a Peter Buck and have some meds on top of the wine and freak out!!!!!

LOL @ U2 taking cues from bands disinterested in touring and/or breaking up. Or even making full albums, like the other R band.

I think the reasons for REM splitting (which seem so organic and almost idyllic - so graceful) will be different from the reasons why U2 will eventually split.

I'd be more inclined to think that U2 won't ever officially split, but just fade away until special circumstances dictate that they really are over. Bono might fall into a role or a job that demands the need to temporarily retire, but the possibility of at some stage picking up where they left off will always exist.

Anyway, enough about U2. This is about REM.

Been listening to some REM in light of their demise. How good are these songs!:

Driver 8
Leave
Great Beyond
Pilgrimage

:D wow

Sad news.

I can't say I'm a huge fan though. I only know about 5 albums. I like those but I never felt the urge to dive deeper into their back-catalogue. I'll probably start doing it now, now it's too late.

Find the River has been my favourite song for many years, I just love this song, it means a lot to me, as does REM's music in general. I love Michael Stipe and I hope to hear his voice again sooner or later. However, they'll be hugely missed.

to hear Stipey's voice you just need to stick the cd on don't you? i mean it's not as if he's died or doesn't go down the pub with you any more is it? the music is still there... just no more new music, that's all...

apart from the initial surprise of the break-up, i seriously don't get the morbidity surrounding it all really

ok, flame me :D

the music is still there... just no more new music, that's all...

That's sad enough, it's the end of an era.

If I think about U2 not making music together, the fact that all 4 of them being alive, but going separate ways would be only a small consolation. There's more to certain bands than just the sum of its parts.

But yes, of course we can still listen to their music and I'm grateful for that, even though I'm having a hard time listening to their stuff right now. I wanted to see them tour again so badly :(

yeah i guess it is an end of an era for them, true... they have been around a very long time though, maybe it will be good for them to go off and do new things...

hey, at least they're not thinking of auditioning an official tribute band, like Queen are right now, to go around on tour making money for them while they sit at home on their asses! lol!!

The thing that counts against these so-called 'legacy' bands such as R.E.M. is (believe it or not)... The music business! it moves so fast these days in the form of downloading and only have a glimpse of a chance to retain attention before it gets pushed aside for something else to listen to

Especially now when you unearth amazing new music from Pitchfork and music blog websites - by the day. Of which those bands havent been heard of, have difficult to pronounce names (ie Tuneyards etc), but they are the ones that keep the boat floating for making good music. If you are going to be spoonfed you will only accept mediocrity!

In the old days, you wait 3 months or until spring or summer for the big CD release from the music business, nowadays you just DOWNLOAD. There is no loyalty to a band! "Loyalty" to a band for me is closemindedness, I dont see how thinking "one band is better than the rest" proves anything.

I also dont think a band can go for longer if 1. it loses its relevance, 2. it loses the spark, tension, friction or energy that makes everyone so excited about it in the first place. That's why it is going to be difficult for a band like R.E.M to come around again, there will also be smaller bands that are going to be cult or urban legends, but nothing will be international.

mama cass said:
to hear Stipey's voice you just need to stick the cd on don't you? i mean it's not as if he's died or doesn't go down the pub with you any more is it? the music is still there... just no more new music, that's all...

apart from the initial surprise of the break-up, i seriously don't get the morbidity surrounding it all really

ok, flame me :D

there is an element of finality to a break up, something an indefinite hiatus doesn't hold which has a weight to it...eh, it's past my bedtime and this won't be as articulate as i'd like.

suffice to say, i actually woke up yesterday to a text from my mom that said "no more rem :( " and might have thought, crap, did stipe die or something? it's just not every day that a band that's been around 30some years actually calls it quits. there aren't that many rock bands that have been around that long, and due to a timeline, by nature are still around. they may go on several years long breaks, but they never announce hey, we're done. unless they're kiss and have more reunion tours than brett favre has retirement parties, but who the fuck cares about kiss.

The thing that counts against these so-called 'legacy' bands such as R.E.M. is (believe it or not)... The music business! it moves so fast these days in the form of downloading and only have a glimpse of a chance to retain attention before it gets pushed aside for something else to listen to

Especially now when you unearth amazing new music from Pitchfork and music blog websites - by the day. Of which those bands havent been heard of, have difficult to pronounce names (ie Tuneyards etc), but they are the ones that keep the boat floating for making good music. If you are going to be spoonfed you will only accept mediocrity!

In the old days, you wait 3 months or until spring or summer for the big CD release from the music business, nowadays you just DOWNLOAD. There is no loyalty to a band! "Loyalty" to a band for me is closemindedness, I dont see how thinking "one band is better than the rest" proves anything.

I also dont think a band can go for longer if 1. it loses its relevance, 2. it loses the spark, tension, friction or energy that makes everyone so excited about it in the first place. That's why it is going to be difficult for a band like R.E.M to come around again, there will also be smaller bands that are going to be cult or urban legends, but nothing will be international.

I read somewhere else that 'mystique' is non-existent in the download age
and this is troubling. A band like REM really used mystique to their advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom