R.E.M. have broken up - Page 49 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #721
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:27 PM
Nvm. I can't read. And I was going to say that wasn't really an exact 1-5 order, but actually...it could be. I don't know. Those four are some damn strong albums, and up has too many songs that I like a hell of a lot to not be at the five slot. Ugh, my brain.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #722
Refugee

Local Time: 10:27 PM
I listened to Out of Time whilst making dinner a few Sundays ago and it suddenly really clicked with me. I'd put it in their top ten.

As for top five, I'd have to go with:
Murmur
Lifes Rich Pageant
Document
Automatic for the People
New Adventures in Hi-Fi

Not sure of the order. I also haven't listened to Reckoning or Fables enough to really judge them.

I used to champion Reveal and I do still like it. But when leaving aside nostalgia it doesn't compete with those five.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #723
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:27 PM
I feel like we do this yearly, but:

1. Lifes Rich Pageant
2. New Adventures in Hi-Fi (I'd lose a few tracks as well, but the 12 best songs here compete with anything in their catalog)
3. Document
4. Murmur
5. Up

I've criticized Automatic For The People before; I think there's great stuff on there, but I'm not a fan of the track order, and Ignoreland is one of the biggest pieces of shit in their entire catalogue. Monty Got A Raw deal bores the fuck out of me--at least Star Me Kitten has atmosphere. Despite these things, it would still likely be my #6 because the rest of it is truly inspired.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:43 AM   #724
The Male

I don't care how much of a hipster it makes me, my top 6 would be all the LPs through Document, plus Automatic. That sound/production they developed in the IRS years is among my favorite things in all of music.

Now.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #725
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 04:27 PM
Out of Time was actually the first CD I purchased. I bought a CD player a few months after it had come out (one of the first Discmen, the thing would skip if you breathed on it). It's definitely not one of my favorite REM albums, but it feel extremely nostalgic when I hear it.

I never realized New Adventures was so divisive.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #726
you are what you is

Local Time: 11:27 PM
today

1. Out Of Time
2. Fables Of The Reconstruction
3. Up
4. Automatic For The People
5. Monster
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #727
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon
I don't care how much of a hipster it makes me, my top 6 would be all the LPs through Document, plus Automatic. That sound/production they developed in the IRS years is among my favorite things in all of music.
Pretty sure that including automatic negates any hipster-ness of the other ones.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #728
Refugee

Local Time: 09:27 AM
Its too bad they never played (or had the chance to play) at the Superbowl

Old 07-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #729
Blue Crack Supplier

Meh. I can only I imagine the two overplayed radio hits that would have sandwiched a sub-par new song if they'd done it in the last 15 years, and even if they'd done it around the time of automatic, how it would have been those same songs plus maybe one I'd like to hear in between. Ive never liked man on the moon anywhere near at much.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #730
Blue Crack Supplier

SO not a Super Bowl band. Or stadium band at all for that matter.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #731
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Meh. I can only I imagine the two overplayed radio hits that would have sandwiched a sub-par new song if they'd done it in the last 15 years, and even if they'd done it around the time of automatic, how it would have been those same songs plus maybe one I'd like to hear in between. Ive never liked man on the moon anywhere near at much.
Is there anything you don't dislike?
Old 07-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #732
Blue Crack Supplier

You know, normally people use that line when i mention several things I despise, usually in some pretty descriptive language about how much I think they suck. It's beating a dead horse of a joke when you throw it into a thread where I've made it pretty clear how many other songs and entire albums I of the band's I love. I'd give you half a point for at least phrasing it in the negative, but not even NSW would have jumped to "iwb hates man on the moon=iwb hates everything".

That's a typical Super Bowl set. A couple major hits, a new song if it's available, and while there are several hits I do greatly enjoy, the ones from automatic are the most worn out to me. That's assuming that they would have played it recently, rather than at their height of mainstream popularity--which was that album. so either way, this hypothetical half time show would weigh heavily on that album. It's not one of my favorites (although if you scroll back a page or so, you'll see which ones are. Funny, since I hate everything, that I might have favorite anythings).
Old 07-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #733
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 04:27 PM
Hippie liar.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #734
Blue Crack Supplier

Now that's more like it.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:07 AM   #735
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Well, I just found it strange to hate on something that hasn't happened and will never happen whilst even making assumptions as to what they'd play etc. And yes, I know someone else brought it up but it was quite a lengthy answer. I didn't even mean it as a joke but more as a rhetorical question to point out that I found it strange. No offence intended and I'm sorry I wasn't funny.

Now you can add me to the list of things you hate.