Porcupine Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hear they have played it to death every tour that they've had the song. As much as I like it, I prefer everything Cleveland got in the second set over Blackest Eyes.

Guess which band is coming to Australia in February 2010!

:hyper:

That's great, Ax! It would be nice if they would at least once come here to South Africa. But I don't know if they have any fans here or what.

The Incident has grown on me even more now. But I still think it's a wee bit uneven. Still skipping Occam's Razor and Degree Zero Of Liberty but loving most of the remaining tracks!.. even something short like Your Unpleasant Family. Not a fan of Bonnie The Cat though. I think that talk singing/rap thing Wilson does may be my least favourite aspect of Porcupine Tree, though I didn't mind it as much on Open Car from Deadwing.

But this album is still below FOABP, Stupid Dream and Deadwing for me, but above In Absentia.

They're playing India in December (one gig in Mumbai), so I think there's hope for anywhere right now ...! I can't believe they're hitting Australia twice in under 2 years.

I eagerly await PT's tour of Cameroon, Togo, and Cape Verde.

I think my album rankings are something like this right now:

1. Stupid Dream
2. Lightbulb Sun
3. Deadwing
4. In Absentia
5. Recordings
6. The Incident
7. The Sky Moves Sideways
8. Fear Of A Blank Planet
9. Signify
10. Up The Downstair
11. On The Sunday Of Life

I can! I knew they would. I'm just itching for them to come back to the States, but I doubt we will get the full first disc of The Incident again, as much as I would love it. I suppose that makes room for other stuff.

My album rankings look like this at present:

1. Deadwing
2. The Incident
3. Stupid Dream
4. Lightbulb Sun
5. In Absentia
6. Fear of a Blank Planet
7. Up The Downstair
8. The Sky Moves Sideways
9. Signify
10. On The Sunday of Life ...

Really pleased with The Incident still (maybe A LOT biased since seeing it live.), but I still love Deadwing absolutely best. A lot of the other albums keep moving around. Ones I previously regarded a lot higher, I'm finding I'm not so thrilled with now. My top three are pretty solid for the most part (read as: I don't think Deadwing and Stupid Dream are really going much of anywhere.), but we'll see how The Incident fares for me this time next year.

I'm fucking digging the setlists right now. They better play Stars Die at one of the shows in Australia, at least!

Yeah, I saw some got Stars Die ... and then became insanely jealous. But I still love the setlist Cleveland got without it. I was really glad we got Mother and Child Divided instead of The Sound Of Muzak. I overplayed that song for myself and MaCD is just made of epic win.

They're playing India in December (one gig in Mumbai), so I think there's hope for anywhere right now ...!

What??? Oh wow! I knew they had some fans in India because a friend of mine has mentioned them but I did not expect them to tour over there so soon. Generally bands seem to come to India after they're super huge. But I guess PT will never be super huge. Anyway, nice! Just wish I was there.

Btw, looking at both your album rankings, it seems I should get Lightbulb Sun next.

Btw 2, I'm surprised how low ..Blank Planet has fared on both your lists.

What??? Oh wow! I knew they had some fans in India because a friend of mine has mentioned them but I did not expect them to tour over there so soon. Generally bands seem to come to India after they're super huge. But I guess PT will never be super huge. Anyway, nice! Just wish I was there.

Btw, looking at both your album rankings, it seems I should get Lightbulb Sun next.

Btw 2, I'm surprised how low ..Blank Planet has fared on both your lists.
They're just doing some festival in India.

Regarding Lightbulb Sun; I dunno. I like it a lot now, but when I first heard it, I was less than impressed. It rated way lower once upon a time for me, but it seems some people rate it pretty highly, so, you might do well to get that one. Then again, I don't know what you have and don't have, so I really can't say for sure.

As for FoaBP; I love the album, but I don't feel it's as strong as some of their other output.

So far I have Stupid Dream, In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear Of A Blank Planet, The Incident and Stars Die: The Delirium Years collection.

If I had to rank those albums:

1. Deadwing
2. Stupid Dream
3. Fear Of A Blank Planet
4. The Incident
5. In Absentia

As for Blank Planet, some of the lyrics do bug me especially the one about being in a band wearing black and music is crap, so I change it slightly when I'm singing...

He's in a band
a chain metal gang
the clothes are all black
the music is crap

Being a huge Pearl Jam fan, I cannot stand for the original lyric. ;)

Otherwise I think Blank Planet is, for the most part, brilliant albeit a tad repetitive.

Since you're familiar with Stupid Dream and obviously like it a lot, then yes, I would recommend Lightbulb Sun next. I'm kinda surprised you rated In Absentia low though. There's a few songs on there I am not too particularly crazy about, but I like most of it. It's usually considered the crown achievement, but I really don't see THAT big of a fuss over it.

As far as the Pearl Jam lyric goes, I'm not really offended by it.

In Absentia is too, I don't know if it's depressing or just less upbeat musically than the ones I've ranked highly. I tend to give more importance to music than lyrics. That said, I do love Blackest Eyes and Trains to death!

This is without a doubt my favourite set of opening lyrics by them:

A mother sings a lullaby to a child
Sometime in the future the boy goes wild
And all his nerves are feeling some kind of energy

Musically, I suppose it is Even Less.

I tend to give more importance to music than lyrics.
That makes two of us then. Although these days, I am paying a bit more attention to lyrics than I used to.

Their other albums are definitely worth checking out though. I'm also very much into some of Steven Wilson's side projects too, but liking Porcupine Tree isn't necessarily a prerequisite to getting into them ... a lot of fans who try are sorely disappointed, expecting more PT-ish sounds!

I like the Pearl Jam lyric. It amuses me. The only thing I really don't like on FOABP is Sleep Together. That's a crap song.

As far as Lightbulb Sun goes, now that I look back on it, I really don't understand why it took so long to hit me. Tracks such as The Rest Will Flow, Hatesong, Russia On Ice, Where We Will Be, and Feel So Low are extremely good. I do, however, think the re-recorded version of She's Moved On that's included on the US edition of Deadwing is considerably superior to the original on Lightbulb Sun.

And I cannot sing the praises of Recordings enough. It's an "album" of songs from the Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun era, some b-sides and some unreleased. The full version of Even Less is definitive. Buying New Soul and Disappear are two of the band's finest tracks. I'd fucking kill for them to do Buying New Soul at one of the Aussie gigs (why yes, I am going to all three).

I like Sleep Together quite a bit. Took a while to grow on me, but it's one of my favourites off the album.

I'm not really thrilled with Shesmovedon for some reason. I do agree the version found on Deadwing is better than the original, but all the same it's just not a song I care for much. However, The Rest Will Flow hovers around my second or third favourite overall Porcupine Tree track. And the rest Axver listed are great as well. I too, have no idea why it took so long for me to warm up to the album.

Cleveland got Buying New Soul. I teared up. :cornflakes:

Supposedly, there's going to be a re-issuing of Recordings sometime. There's no definitive time frame yet, but it's apparently on the list of things to do, so I guess we shall see!

The Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun/Recordings trifecta is PT's highwater mark for me. I think they successfully moved on from that era and have recorded a string of excellent albums, and as much as I love In Absentia, it probably won't ever supplant Stupid Dream as my favorite PT album.

As for rankings...

1. Stupid Dream
2. In Absentia
3. Lightbulb Sun
4. Deadwing
5. Recordings

6. The Sky Moves Sideways
7. Fear Of A Blank Planet
8. The Incident

9. Up The Downstair
10. On The Sunday Of Life
11. Signify

Signify has some definite classics, like Waiting and Dark Matter, but as a whole, it just doesn't come together well. You could tell it was a transitional period for PT as it made its way from being a Steven Wilson trippy solo project to a full blown band outfit.

But that transition was vital for PT going forward, so while I don't care for the album, it's probably the most important one they ever did.

Agreed! I do quite like songs like Sever, Sleep Of No Dreaming, Waiting Phase One and Every Home Is Wired. The title track is pretty good too but I can't say I care for the rest. As an album, it's a mess.

So what's up with some of their later stuff ranking low? Not fond of the direction they have taken?

I really like the last couple of albums, most definitely. When I compare them to other albums released the same year, they still rank as one of the best out there.

But when I compare them to other PT releases, they come in just a notch below, for different reasons. I think an album like In Absentia is stronger throughout than any other release since then. Also, I rate Deadwing higher simply because there isn't one piece of music that came after that matches Lazarus and Arriving Somewhere But Not Here. Songs like Anesthetize, Sentimental, Time Flies, and I Drive The Hearse are awesome, some of my favorite PT songs. But they all come in under Lazarus and Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, as well as several songs on In Absentia like Blackest Eyes, Trains, etc.

Gotta rank them somewhere. Just goes to show how strong of a discography PT has had since 1999.

I don't know, phanan, I reckon Black Dahlia may be on a par with Deadwing's best.

I'm surprised you rate On The Sunday Of Life above Signify. OTSOL has, what, Radioactive Toy? Nine Cats? Can't think of another reason to listen. Oh, I guess Jupiter Island, but more for novelty than actual quality ...

Could've went either way, really. Besides the two you mention, I also like And The Swallows Dance Above The Sun and It Will Rain For A Million Years.

But it definitely could have been better. If he had just added The Cross/Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape alone, it would've been incredible.

Black Dahlia is fantastic, but as good as Arriving Somewhere? Not quite for me.

But really, we're nitpicking now.

I always listen to And The Swallows from the Love, Death, And Mussolini EP.

I'm forever baffled why Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape missed both OTSOL and Up The Downstair.

I honestly can't call Black Dahlia vs Arriving Somewhere. Exceptional songs, the both of them.

You know what other song from The Incident has really been sounding great to me the last week? Kneel And Disconnect. It's short, but it's great.

Arriving Somewhere will always be my #1 favourite of theirs, not only because it was the first song I was exposed to (thanks to the Prog Island game) and loved but also because musically it reminds me of another brilliant song, Unforgettable Fire.

Great Expectations, Your Unpleasant Family... a lot of great short pieces on this album that are almost as good as the longer songs! Quality stuff! :up:

Your Unpleasant Family cracks me up, but I'm not entirely sure in a good way. C'mon, Stevo.

Arriving Somewhere But Not Here DEFINITELY beats out Black Dahlia. I also like it better than Anesthetize. Far better. Although I will not lie, I'd like to marry the second section of Anesthetize.

Black Dahlia though, interesting piece. I don't think I was thrilled with it when I first heard it, but the more I hear it, the more I love it. I don't think it'll ever break my top 10 PT songs, but it is surely getting a lot of appreciation from me these days.

Re: Kneel and Disconnect: Absolutely gorgeous piece. Short and sweet. One of my favourite pieces in The Incident without a doubt.

Back
Top Bottom