Porcupine Tree - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #226
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
A new live album (Octane Twisted, CD/DVD) recorded during the Incident tour is coming out:

https://www.burningshed.com/store/po...duct/169/4174/

I myself don't care that much for The Incident, but anything coming from the PT camp at this point is a good thing, since Steven Wilson is too busy doing his wankfest solo albums.

On the good side, the set features a full version of Even Less, recorded at that Royal Albert Hall show two years ago. On the bad side, I guess this means they'll never release that concert in full.
I'll co-sign all of this post, except for the part about not caring that much for The Incident. Though I would prefer it if they had replaced a bit of the "song cycle" wank with the songs from the second disc. A man can dream.

Can't believe SW is doing ANOTHER solo album before a PT album.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #227
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:50 PM
It doesn't look good for new PT music anytime soon, now that he's doing another solo one instead. Kinda sucks.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #228
Vocal parasite

There's a funny side, given that PT used to be his solo project from No-Man! Can't the man handle working with other people or something?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #229
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Supposedly Steven Wilson stated on Twitter that he plans to play some of the songs from the first couple of PT albums ("the solo ones") on his next solo tour... I have very mixed feelings about this.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #230
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:50 PM
Why is that, if I may ask?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #231
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Supposedly Steven Wilson stated on Twitter that he plans to play some of the songs from the first couple of PT albums ("the solo ones") on his next solo tour... I have very mixed feelings about this.
Well fuck, if he does that, he either better come to Australia or I better find a way to the tour. If there's one thing I badly want to hear live, it's more pre-In Absentia songs. The only pre-IA songs they've done at their six shows in Australia are Stars Die, Dark Matter, Even Less, A Smart Kid, Hatesong, and half of Russia on Ice. Or in other words, a pittance of the pre-IA discography!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #232
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Why is that, if I may ask?
Because I simply prefer Porcupine Tree playing those songs. Gavin Harrison on something like Synesthesia or Always Never would be heaven (just as it is in the new Up the Downstair). And listening to some of those solo concerts, I really hope they won't turn them into some 15-minute barely listenable prog-jazz hybrids.

But if they play it clean, I guess that should be exciting. Still, a PT concert with some of those songs in the setlist would be much better.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #233
Vocal parasite

Can you imagine a 15 minute long jazz-prog version of Nine Cats or Linton Samuel Dawson?

But yeah, I agree. If they do it, I imagine it'd just be a slightly jazzy take on Radioactive Toy anyway.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #234
The Male

Local Time: 12:50 PM
Having already heard Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, Deadwing and The Incident...

Porcupine Tree album I should hear next: The Sky Moves Sideways or Fear of a Blank Planet?

Go.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #235
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Both. Simple as that.

Fear of a Blank Planet is fantastic and possibly the most consistent of their albums (I find every one of the 6 tracks to be amazing), while The Sky Moves Sideways is a great trip. Literally. I prefer the former, but get both.

Oh, I find Up the Downstair superior to The Sky Moves Sideways. I expected some far-out prog avant-garde experiment, but I was really surprised as to just how catchy and melodic it was. Something like Synesthesia gets into your head all day long. So get that as well.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #236
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Can you imagine a 15 minute long jazz-prog version of Nine Cats or Linton Samuel Dawson?
Only thinking about it gives me a massive headache.

Not unlike the effect of something like Raider II would have on me.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #237
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Both. Simple as that.

Fear of a Blank Planet is fantastic and possibly the most consistent of their albums (I find every one of the 6 tracks to be amazing), while The Sky Moves Sideways is a great trip. Literally. I prefer the former, but get both.

Oh, I find Up the Downstair superior to The Sky Moves Sideways. I expected some far-out prog avant-garde experiment, but I was really surprised as to just how catchy and melodic it was. Something like Synesthesia gets into your head all day long. So get that as well.
Can't argue with much of this. Really, if LM's in a Pink Floyd/psychedelic prog sort of mood, then Sky Moves Sideways is the way to go, while FOABP would satisfy desires for the heavier side of PT (or the short, melancholic song side, in the case of My Ashes and Sentimental). Though I do disagree with all six of FOABP's tracks being amazing; I love five, and then they drop the turd Sleep Together at the end. One of my five least favourite PT tracks, though it wasn't shabby live.

And Up the Downstair tops TSMS just because of Fadeaway and Synesthesia. God, I adore Fadeaway.

Quote:
Only thinking about it gives me a massive headache.

Not unlike the effect of something like Raider II would have on me.
Hahaha.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #238
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Yeah Ax, I know you hate Sleep Together. Heretic. But we share a common love for Fadeaway so I still like you.

For a bit of dull trivia, that's one of Steven Wilson's favourite PT songs (Sleep Together that is)... But he calls his current solo shows "bigger and better" than the PT ones so what the fuck does that bare-footed geek know.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #239
Vocal parasite

I was under the impression Sleep Together was fairly unpopular ...

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-05-2012, 03:10 AM   #240
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

It seems it is always being labelled as being the least great from that album, but I never had the impression people think it's a turd.

Have you heard the new SW live album? That drummer should be put on a leash.

Tags
porcupine tree