Please ride the hype train with me AKA Vampire Weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diane Young is pretty annoying, definitely one of the worst on the album (Worship You is probably the worst). It's one of the safer, less unusual tracks.

This album is good but not spectacular in any way. I don't enjoy the first two tracks which makes that I never want to start listening to it. Hannah Hunt and Step are top notch however.

Although the Pitchfork score is too high, I love this album. It's my favorite so far. And it's great to see a contemporary band making it past their sophomore record, let alone their debut.

Loved Step, and Hannah Hunt is the most beautiful track on the album.

But Unbelievers just connected with me in a way no song has done for the past 7 or 8 years. Loved the chorus, living up to expectations, growing up, responsibilities and the slim chance of taking a different path. The instrumental bridge that sounds kinda Irish (specially live) tears me up.

VW put out a great record for all the haters out there.

Anthony Fantano likes this album.

I think I might start citing Fantano as an authority in the same way Laz uses Christgau.

And I completely agree with his review. He even notes that the album drops off a cliff in the second half, which it does. The score sounds right on as well. 7 1/2 sounds fair to me.

This was the first "new release" album I've ever bought from Amazon that had the "AutoRip" functionality. Hopefully that's a new trend.

9.3 is an absolute joke. Found my interest waning heavily towards the end but pretty solid album. Hannah Hunt is fantastic, Diane Young and Unbelievers good too.

Stereogum ranked it as the #1 album of 2013 so far, which is exactly right. It's a landmark album, and their best yet. With a whopping 8 songs at A+ level, too: Step, Unbelievers, Ya Hey, Worship You, Hannah Hunt, Don't Lie, Everlasting Arms, and Diane Young. It gets better with each listen. Also cool: Ezra and Rostam met at a party in college and their first conversation ever was about which was U2's best album... Ezra went Joshua Tree, Rostam Achtung Baby.

BUMP.

New double album coming out.

Will be surprised if it isn't one of my favorites of 2019. Really good band.

I'm really excited for this. Modern Vampires of the City remains such a strong record.

The new songs are not bad but it's strange that the one you choose to be your first release in almost six years prominently features a lyric that was used in one of your old songs ("I don't want to live like this but I don't want to die"). Doesn't exactly scream freshness or reinvention or creativity after such a long time between albums.

Still, they sound nice and I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

8.0 from Pitchfork.

Consistent support from them, so not a total surprise. But they could have easily turned on the departure of Rostam.

Holy shit, the opening track is a stunner. I had no idea Danielle Haim was a featured vocalist on this. Love it.

The first two tracks are so good. The rest of the album is going to take more time to grow on me, I think.

Okay, I'm all for Danielle Haim working with these guys again if possible. Her voice against Koenig's makes for quite the lovely dynamic.

Some absolutely gorgeous, vivid lyrics in these songs, which is a huge plus for me. And I love the variety of sounds and styles as well. I agree that some of these songs are probably going to need to take a bit to grow on me, but there's quite a few I loved right out the gate, too (I get the feeling "This Life" is going to be stuck in my head an awful lot). Also, "Jerusalem, New York, Berlin" is hauntingly pretty.

Yeah. I think this one will definitely benefit from repeated listens :up:.

I haven't bought a new CD since Janelle Monae last year, but I figured I'd plunk down $12 for this one considering how great their production usually is. I wasn't disappointed; this sounds immaculate. I listened to it 4 times in the car between yesterday and today and while I'm still trying to single out individual peaks (Harmony Hall is certainly one), the whole thing is just a really pleasant listening experience overall. There isn't a single track I dislike, but there are a few I wish were longer. It's their mellowest, most organic, and slowest, and while that may not sound very appealing to some, I appreciate how they've managed to expand their sonic palette just a bit on each record, without any real sharp turns to deviate from their core.

One might miss Rostam's involvement (aside from a few tracks) in a sense, because he seemed to be the resident musical genius, but it doesn't exactly feel like the band is a dog walking on three legs.

Definitely a step below Modern Vampires of the City, but that's a best of the decade candidate (it will be showing up on a lot of those lists come December) so it's hard to expect them to top it.

Back
Top Bottom