Placebo - Battle for the Sun - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:45 AM
Placebo - Battle for the Sun

Okay, so I'm hugely annoyed that I can't buy "For What it's Worth" on the U.S. itunes, but from what I gather the album will still be released on time here. I'm really excited about this. I've been on a fairly big Placebo kick lately, and their idea of releasing the title track as a teaser was great because I was really worried about the direction of the band with the new drummer and Brian's new fatherhood. I just didn't know if the passion was still there.

Needless to say, I enjoy both of the new songs. The video for "Worth" is much better than anything from Meds, which is nice because I really do usually enjoy their videos. Brian with long hair again makes me happy, he looks like his beautiful androgynous self again, though more mature. As for the actual music itself, it also seems a bit more mature. There's less of a sheen on the production, but it doesn't sound sloppy either.

As for the lyrics, they are typical Placebo. Brian says the new songs are supposed to be more positive, but I guess that just means absent of despair because I find his lyrics largely incomprehensible when he's not singing about obvious things. But I digress.

Is anyone else hyped?

Old 04-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:45 AM
Mmmmmm, I'm not too hyped.

I love Placebo's stuff. In fact, I think Meds was even better than Sleeping With Ghosts, so they were still definitely improving as of their last albums.

But both 'Battle For The Sun' and 'For What It's Worth' were just pretty average and mediocre to me, and that doesn't bode well because, I usually really like their first singles and end up really liking the album. And since I don't really care for these first two songs, that leaves me wondering if the album is any good. :worried:

Only time will tell, but so far, I'm not all that impressed.

Just my opinion. I'm glad you like the songs UL.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Your experience sounds a lot like mine with Meds. I really disliked "Because I Want You" (though I liked "Song to Say Goodbye" a lot). In the end, I think I'd put Meds somewhere in the top three, probably after Sleeping with Ghosts and above the self-titled album. I still don't love Without You I'm Nothing and Black Market Music much as albums.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

I think I got whiplash listening to Scared of Girls the other day.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnforgettableLemon View Post
I still don't love Without You I'm Nothing and Black Market Music much as albums.
Awww, those are my 2 favorite, along with the debut, eponymous album in the #3 spot.

I know Without You I'm Nothing and Black Market Music aren't really tight in a thematically cohesive sense, but there's sooooooo many damn fine crackin' tunes on those albums -- -- they're just mind-blowing!

I'm not a big fan of Sleeping With Ghosts, though 'Special Needs' is one great song.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:31 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 10:45 PM
I am hyped! I love Meds. But most of all, Black Market Music is one of my favourite albums of all time.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Sleeping With Ghosts does pose one problem for me - I really dislike the original version of "English Summer Rain," especially since the single mix is one of my favorite Placebo songs.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
I think I got whiplash listening to Scared of Girls the other day.
I very much approve of this. That's one of my very favorite Placebo songs.

As for the new record...hmm. I think Battle for the Sun is a terrible song until about the last two minutes when it stops being so repetitive and starts to rock the hell out. Just watched the video for For What It's Worth, though, and I like it better than Battle. Brian is indeed looking gorgeous these days.

So we'll see about the new album. It took me a long time to fully appreciate Meds, and only after the second show I saw on the last tour, long after the album was out, did I realize what a stunner Blind is.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnforgettableLemon View Post
Sleeping With Ghosts does pose one problem for me - I really dislike the original version of "English Summer Rain," especially since the single mix is one of my favorite Placebo songs.
Then I really need to hear the single mix because I love the original version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlandGirl View Post
I very much approve of this. That's one of my very favorite Placebo songs.
I think I heard it first on a mix you gave me. I love it.

I need to listen to Meds more. I never really got into it although there are some good songs there. I thought it might be a grower that I didn't give a chance to grow.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
I think I heard it first on a mix you gave me. I love it.

I need to listen to Meds more. I never really got into it although there are some good songs there. I thought it might be a grower that I didn't give a chance to grow.
It was a grower for me. I always liked it, but over time I really started to love a larger number of the songs. Definitely go back and check out Blind, Pierrot the Clown, Infra-red, One of a Kind, and if your version of the album has it, Lazarus. Those are some of my faves, anyway.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:38 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Time to bump this thread in case anyone has some thoughts on the new record.

I must say, I'm liking it well enough. It's definitely got a lot less despair than your typical Placebo album, and I miss that, but the fitter, happier Placebo isn't all bad. Kitty Litter, Ashtray Heart, Kings of Medicine, and Come Undone are my early favorites, along with For What It's Worth. Can't wait to see some more videos.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:45 PM
Album's not bad, I can't really get into it much though. Most of it plays like meh filler tracks to me. The title track does sound better in decent quality I've finally changed my opinion of it. Speak In Tongues is easily my favourite and it's the only track I think I'll be listening to from the album in the future though...
Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Placebo to release new record Loud Like Love this September:

WE ARE 'LOUD LIKE LOVE' 16.09.2013 | Placebo

I hope it's better than Battle for the Sun, which I'm surprised to find (by reading this thread) that I listened to at all. I hardly remember it and never take it off the shelf these days. Such a disappointment for me after loving Meds and all their previous work so rabidly.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

For anyone who might be interested:

Placebo - Loud Like Love teaser
Old 06-10-2013, 03:06 AM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 10:45 PM
Crossroads time for this band. Battle For The Sun was Placebo by numbers. They need to diversify and change things up a bit. Good to see them touring properly again instead doing to lazy arse thing and seemingly only ever playing European festivals. Hope they come to Australia.

September seems an awful long way away though...

Tags
placebo