Pink Floyd Thread - Page 55 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2015, 01:43 AM   #811
45:33

Local Time: 05:06 AM

Old 08-21-2015, 01:52 AM   #812
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:06 AM
What I don't understand is why people want to judge Great Gig as if it's some normal PF song. Clearly they were trying something different, and had the idea to have a wordless vocal. It's a an interlude of sorts.

Now I understand that there are those who don't like this kind of vibe or scat singing or whatever but there's very little to compare it to rock music. And to call it awful is disingenuous, especially when you compare it to a true disposable, pointless piece of crap like Wild Honey Pie by The Beatles. There's a tremendous amount of craft on Great Gig from all the people involved.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:58 AM   #813
Vocal parasite

I don't really care about there being a tremendous amount of craft if the final result is absolutely, ear-piercingly unlistenable.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:19 AM   #814
The Male

That's just a straight up passionate, soulful vocal. One of the best I've ever heard as far as communicating a sentiment/fear wordlessly. The whole song is great though. The melody is soft and vaguely comforting, but it also haunts the listener because of a powerful, dynamic instrumental performance by the band. I also love the soothing pedal steel guitar.

I can't talk to Axver about vocalists. He thinks hairy Vikings growling about elves is more OK than this amazing performance.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:32 AM   #815
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I can't talk to Axver about vocalists. He thinks hairy Vikings growling about elves is more OK than this amazing performance.
Hey, that was ten years ago!

(Though it probably is still more listenable.)

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:04 AM   #816
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 04:06 AM
I don't like soul music, especially female soul singers singing in the sense that Torry sings on Great Gig.

But hey, that's my own inadequacy, not a track that's inherently flawed. I prefer listening to the original version of The Mortality Sequence, but that would probably stick out really badly in the context of Dark Side.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #817
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:06 PM
I listened to two more albums over the past couple of days. Nothing really stood out, but there you go.

A Saurceful of Secrets (3/5)
Still pretty much influenced by late-1960s psychedelia and I can still hear a lot of Revolver/Sgt Pepper's era Beatles (that Lucy in the Sky namedrop on Let There Be More Light gives it away, I guess). I don't mean it just in terms of sound, but also the studio experimentation (even small things like pushing the boundaries of how stereo sound could be used). My favorite songs here were probably Let There Be More Light and the title track. While nice for historical reasons, I am not sure I will go back to this album at all in the future.

More (2/5)
I'm not entirely sure why I decided to listen to this one, as it could conceivably be left off the list, but it's generally included as a studio album. Very forgettable, but not unpleasant. It works as background music (well, it's a soundtrack, so it should work as background music). Nile Song was my favorite thing here. But yeah, I won't listen to it again.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:27 AM   #818
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
^ hahahahahah I remember all that. god they suck. I love them but they are so lame.

I'd really like some backup regarding Great Gig in the Sky please. Too much hatred here. I think it's absolutely astonishing, I love the mournful piano and slide guitar and Clare Torry's vocal is like a blinding thundercrack out of the mist. Huge fan.
When I was younger, I knew a lot of PF fans and no one ever expressed anything but good things for Great Gig. This is actually the first time I've heard such hatred for the song. Many years ago, I dated a lady who was a PF fan too and we used to listen to DOS during our "romantic time". When we got to Great Gig, we'd push the romance into the next gear. Good times!
Old 08-21-2015, 09:35 AM   #819
Blue Crack Addict

I really don't understand the dislike for Great Gig as I absolutely adore it. I thought it was also pretty well universally liked, but apparently not.

Nick Mason's drumming is definitely the unsung hero of this track, and that slide guitar near the beginning is so simple but so pretty and complements the piano part amazingly.

I get how some people might not get behind Clare Torry's vocal, as it took me a little while to warm up to it, but I don't think the song would have worked nearly as well with anything else, or no vocals at all. The "soft and beautiful then build up then chaotic climax then soft landing" dynamics are really what elevate the song into the stratosphere, and I think it works beautifully between Time and Money.

For me Great Gig is one of the emotional highlights of Dark Side, and I would rather listen to it than pretty well anything else on there other than Us and Them. I think it's at least as good as Time or Money.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #820
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I guess I'll just reiterate once again that since first listening to DOS, I've simply regarded it as one piece of music. A 42 minute long song. When I listen to it, I listen to it all the way through. Not just skip to certain tracks.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:19 AM   #821
Blue Crack Supplier

How is "DOS" an acronym for Dark Side Of The Moon?
Old 08-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #822
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
How is "DOS" an acronym for Dark Side Of The Moon?

That is too funny. I should have proofread that.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #823
Blue Crack Distributor

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Great Gig in the Sky is a very polarizing track.

I am pretty damn fond of it, though.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #824
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The last couple day's I've been listening to a lot of Floyd and man isn't Gilmour just a straight out fantastic guitarist?
Old 08-21-2015, 02:35 PM   #825
Blue Crack Supplier

Please take that sentiment to the Unpopular Opinions thread.

Tags
pink floyd