Pink Floyd Thread - Page 54 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #796
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,054
Local Time: 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
To quote the Wiki:
Eh, that's so broad that you might as well say your average album with most songs about love and romance are concept albums.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #797
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
YBORCITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: FLA
Posts: 5,146
Local Time: 05:31 PM
Listening for the first in years to the whole The Final Cut album - When the Tiger's Broke Free and Gunner's Dream are fantastic songs

"... and you can relax on both sides of the tracks and maniacs don't blow holes in bandsmen by remote control."

Waters referencing the enniskillen bombing here?
__________________

__________________
YBORCITY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #798
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,051
Local Time: 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
To quote the Wiki:
But Sgt Peppers is a concept album, right? The most iconic ever, it would be hard to disagree. And out of the whole lot of songs, only the title track and the reprise have any tie to the title, cover and "concept" that Paul envisioned. You can include With a Little Help From My Friends at a stretch, for the three seconds of "BIIIIIILLLLLEEEEE SHEEEEEEARSSSSS" at the start, but apart from that, what else is there?
__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #799
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 02:31 PM
It was an early concept album, so the definitions certainly aren't very strict. If the artist said it was their intention for it to be a concept album, well, hell, obviously they consider it a concept album. I think that counts for something.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #800
Blue Crack Addict
 
liamcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Posts: 16,695
Local Time: 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBORCITY View Post
Listening for the first in years to the whole The Final Cut album - When the Tiger's Broke Free and Gunner's Dream are fantastic songs

"... and you can relax on both sides of the tracks and maniacs don't blow holes in bandsmen by remote control."

Waters referencing the enniskillen bombing here?
The Enniskillen bombing, in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland, was November 1987. This lyric probably refers to the Hyde Park bombings in Hyde Park and Regents' Park in London, in July 1982.
__________________
liamcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:17 AM   #801
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,051
Local Time: 09:31 AM
I can't hear the word Enniskillen without hearing Bono's 80% rage voice, covered by a massive head of hair that he keeps failing to flick out of his face.
__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:33 AM   #802
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,953
Local Time: 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
But Sgt Peppers is a concept album, right? The most iconic ever, it would be hard to disagree. And out of the whole lot of songs, only the title track and the reprise have any tie to the title, cover and "concept" that Paul envisioned. You can include With a Little Help From My Friends at a stretch, for the three seconds of "BIIIIIILLLLLEEEEE SHEEEEEEARSSSSS" at the start, but apart from that, what else is there?
Sgt Pepper is a concept album, but a bit more loosely guided than Floyd's albums from the 70's into the early 80's. Magical Mystery Tour could also be a "concept" album too, but that was based on a TV special which was supposed to have some sort of narrative. Like let's do a lot of drugs while we're on a bus with a bunch of freaks.

Essentially, Roger was fortunate ( and so was the record company) that he was able to vent his feelings into one narrative about things that were close to his heart. All parties were capitalizing on his therapy. Especially albums like Wish You Were Here, The Wall and The Final Cut. Obviously, as time wore on while he was in Pink Floyd, Roger was expanding his narrative even further. When the other guys in the group liked the idea, they went with it. When they didn't, they "checked out" or were dismissed. Towards the end of his time with Floyd, Roger was accused of megalomania. Sure that might have been the case, but at one point he was given the proverbial ball and did his best to keep running it in for Touchdowns. After The Final Cut, he infamously said that PF were creatively spent. David didn't agree and now he wanted the ball. As long as David and Co. were under the Pink Floyd banner, they were gonna still be able to rake in the dough. Floyd could play stadiums, but Roger could only play smaller venues and actually lost money.

Arguably, if any album has a recurring theme, it could be considered a "concept" album. Hell, U2's last 2 albums could be considered concept albums, especially SOI.
__________________
MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #803
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
YBORCITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: FLA
Posts: 5,146
Local Time: 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamcool View Post
The Enniskillen bombing, in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland, was November 1987. This lyric probably refers to the Hyde Park bombings in Hyde Park and Regents' Park in London, in July 1982.
Thanks that makes more sense.
__________________
YBORCITY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #804
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
YBORCITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: FLA
Posts: 5,146
Local Time: 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
Sgt Pepper is a concept album, but a bit more loosely guided than Floyd's albums from the 70's into the early 80's. Magical Mystery Tour could also be a "concept" album too, but that was based on a TV special which was supposed to have some sort of narrative. Like let's do a lot of drugs while we're on a bus with a bunch of freaks.

Essentially, Roger was fortunate ( and so was the record company) that he was able to vent his feelings into one narrative about things that were close to his heart. All parties were capitalizing on his therapy. Especially albums like Wish You Were Here, The Wall and The Final Cut. Obviously, as time wore on while he was in Pink Floyd, Roger was expanding his narrative even further. When the other guys in the group liked the idea, they went with it. When they didn't, they "checked out" or were dismissed. Towards the end of his time with Floyd, Roger was accused of megalomania. Sure that might have been the case, but at one point he was given the proverbial ball and did his best to keep running it in for Touchdowns. After The Final Cut, he infamously said that PF were creatively spent. David didn't agree and now he wanted the ball. As long as David and Co. were under the Pink Floyd banner, they were gonna still be able to rake in the dough. Floyd could play stadiums, but Roger could only play smaller venues and actually lost money.

Arguably, if any album has a recurring theme, it could be considered a "concept" album. Hell, U2's last 2 albums could be considered concept albums, especially SOI.
I saw the Pro's and Con's of Hitchiking Tour with Clapton on guitar, pretty impressive but a very smaller scale then the Gilmour-led Stadium tours - like you said ironically Gilmour selling out stadiums with Water's laden music.
__________________
YBORCITY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #805
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,011
Local Time: 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
Arguably, if any album has a recurring theme, it could be considered a "concept" album. Hell, U2's last 2 albums could be considered concept albums, especially SOI.
SOI is most definitely a concept album. The lines might be blurred for some because autobiography doesn't feel the same as making up fictional characters or a plot, but most of the tracks on the album (+ Invisible, Devil's Hands, and Crystal Ballroom) pertain to their youth in Dublin.

That's pretty specific. And it certainly tells a story.

Now the band would never use this term, but it still fits.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #806
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
YBORCITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: FLA
Posts: 5,146
Local Time: 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
SOI is most definitely a concept album. The lines might be blurred for some because autobiography doesn't feel the same as making up fictional characters or a plot, but most of the tracks on the album (+ Invisible, Devil's Hands, and Crystal Ballroom) pertain to their youth in Dublin.

That's pretty specific. And it certainly tells a story.

Now the band would never use this term, but it still fits.
Agreed!
__________________
YBORCITY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #807
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
nielsgov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 8,600
Local Time: 11:31 PM
Mylo Xyloto is a concept album.

I found this on Wikipedia but it must be someone having a laugh, right?
Mylo Xyloto is a concept album and a thematic rock opera.[5] The album tells the story of a war against sound and colour by a supremeist government, set in the world of Silencia, an Orwellian society. Silencia has been taken over by a supremacist government, led by Major Minus, who controls the population through media and propaganda. His aim is to take sound and colour off the streets in hope to draw away "feeders", creatures that use such energy to hunt its prey. The album follows Mylo, a "silencer", who is one of an army tasked to hunt and track down "sparkers", people who harness light and energy and use it to create sparks, comparable to graffiti in real life. He comes across Xyloto, a sparker who is the most wanted by Major Minus. Through Xyloto, Mylo discovers his sparker abilities and his affiliation with the Car Kids, a major sparker faction founded by Mylo's parents Aiko and Lela. Drummer Will Champion has noted that the album is a story of the characters "falling in love and trying to escape together", with a general theme of "love conquering all".
__________________
nielsgov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:15 PM   #808
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 02:31 PM
....


Well, here's the source:

http://www.nme.com/news/coldplay/59807

Also, I forgot he made a comic book to go with it as well.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:43 AM   #809
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,051
Local Time: 09:31 AM
^ hahahahahah I remember all that. god they suck. I love them but they are so lame.

I'd really like some backup regarding Great Gig in the Sky please. Too much hatred here. I think it's absolutely astonishing, I love the mournful piano and slide guitar and Clare Torry's vocal is like a blinding thundercrack out of the mist. Huge fan.
__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:39 AM   #810
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,449
Local Time: 04:31 PM
Great Gig is unique and brilliant - a near perfect interpretation of mortality that captures the dread while still conveying some optimism. I'm really surprised by the criticisms as I thought this track was basically unimpeachable.
__________________

__________________
iron yuppie is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pink floyd

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com