Pink Floyd Thread - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2007, 02:31 PM   #241
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:28 AM
Interesting. But I don't know if I'll be spending money on a huge anniversary edition that has some bonus songs that I already have in my itunes.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #242
Refugee

Local Time: 01:28 AM
A while back, there was quite a bit of talk about giving WYWH and Animals similar treatment, but it never materialized. I would certainly rather have seen either of those albums released in an expanded edition (perhaps with live material from the respective tours) than Piper, although I suspect that the intention of this may be to pay further tribute to Syd.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:01 PM   #243
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Interesting. But I don't know if I'll be spending money on a huge anniversary edition that has some bonus songs that I already have in my itunes.
cheapskate
Old 06-30-2007, 07:02 PM   #244
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22

cheapskate
It's unnecessary when I can spend on other albums I don't have!
Old 07-01-2007, 07:27 PM   #245
45:33

Local Time: 05:28 PM
The last three or so minutes of Dark Side is just oohhhh...

Old 07-01-2007, 09:16 PM   #246
ONE
love, blood, life

Everything under the sun is in tune, and the sun is eclipsed by the mooooooooooon...

Old 07-03-2007, 05:21 AM   #247

It's a very contradictory record in my eyes... not sure if anyone agrees with me... but the lyrics are very melancholy. You've got songs like Breathe (lyrics like "All you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be"), Time (Then one day you find ten years have got behind you, no one told you when to run you missed the starting gun"), The Great Gig in the Sky, and an album centred on themes such as madness, death, depression, time, etc... Then you come to the last two or three songs and the mood seems to inexplicably improve. The music during Eclipse is very very uplifiting, which contrasts with the rest of the record. I think that may be kind of why it worked so well. There are lyrics of melancholy, but in ends in such an uplifting way, that you finish on a high, and tend to forget the early depressing lyrics.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:07 AM   #248
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Ehh, I don't think it as much "uplifting" as it is embracing your own lunacy. Which I guess can be uplifting, but I'm not insane, so I can't vouch for that.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #249
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:28 AM
The Wall has been getting a lot of plays in the LMP household.

The Thin Ice -> Brick pt. 1 -> Happiest Days -> Brick pt. 2
Hey You
Nobody Home

Old 07-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #250

I downloaded Run Like Hell and Comfortably Numb yesterday.

Wow
Old 07-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #251
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
I downloaded... Comfortably Numb yesterday.

Wow
Well, you are now able to say that you possess the finest rock song in the genre's history!

"When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look, but it was gone; I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream has gone."
Old 07-03-2007, 11:09 PM   #252
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat
Ehh, I don't think it as much "uplifting" as it is embracing your own lunacy. Which I guess can be uplifting, but I'm not insane, so I can't vouch for that.
Bang on the money, Pla. Brain Damage/Eclipse aren't uplifting songs at all. The music itself is uplifting, but the lyrical content is not. The preceding songs simply lead up to that moment when the character of Dark Side (I'm not sure there's a "character" as such - but for the sake of simplicity, that's the word I'll use) has gone completely out of his mind. "And the sun is eclipsed by the moon." The moon has always been a symbol for lunacy. So those final words are not positive at all. By that point, the insanity has taken over. The moon, that lunacy, eclipses all rational thought.

It's one of the greatest endings to a record ever.

On a related note, I love the video for Brain Damage/Eclipse. That perspective shot that places the viewer in the gurney, travelling slowly down a hospital hallway with doctors peering out at you...sends shivers up my spine every time.

PS, COBL_04, you must get the whole Wall album! Life is not complete until you've heard Hey You and In the Flesh.

Are there any queers in the theatre tonight?
Get 'em up against the wall
Now there's one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me!
Get him up against the wall
And that one looks Jewish!
And that one's a coon!
Who let all of this riff raff into the room?
THERE'S ONE SMOKING A JOINT!
AND ANOTHER WITH SPOTS!
IF I HAD MY WAYYYYY, I'D HAVE ALL OF YA SHOT!

Old 07-03-2007, 11:26 PM   #253
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

Bang on the money, Pla. Brain Damage/Eclipse aren't uplifting songs at all. The music itself is uplifting, but the lyrical content is not. The preceding songs simply lead up to that moment when the character of Dark Side (I'm not sure there's a "character" as such - but for the sake of simplicity, that's the word I'll use) has gone completely out of his mind. "And the sun is eclipsed by the moon." The moon has always been a symbol for lunacy. So those final words are not positive at all. By that point, the insanity has taken over. The moon, that lunacy, eclipses all rational thought.

I have to disagree in that it is abstractly uplifting. Uplifting implies a joyful experience however for a lunatic every moment is both joyful and painful. So to a lunatic a sense of resolution of clarity is what a moment of utter joy would be to the rest of the population. It's like The Wall where simple resolution is Pink's salvation. A moment of clarity and resolution is what any lunatic wants. In that way, it is actually uplifting.

When heaven is a lady screaming and life frantic, numb and sinister all anyone would want is a moment of synergy and resolution in thedarkness. There is no dark side of the moon really. In fact it is dark. What person lunatic or otherwise wouldn't want to be able to hide in that dark?
Old 07-04-2007, 12:04 AM   #254

Quote:

That's what I was trying to get at, but I couldn't quite say it right. The last two songs are contradictory because the lyrics are melancholy/depressing etc but the music is very uplifting.

And in my opinion it is THE best ending to a record ever, for me beating A Day in the Life and Love is Blindness.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:05 AM   #255

Quote:

PS, COBL_04, you must get the whole Wall album! Life is not complete until you've heard Hey You and In the Flesh.

Are there any queers in the theatre tonight?
Get 'em up against the wall
Now there's one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me!
Get him up against the wall
And that one looks Jewish!
And that one's a coon!
Who let all of this riff raff into the room?
THERE'S ONE SMOKING A JOINT!
AND ANOTHER WITH SPOTS!
IF I HAD MY WAYYYYY, I'D HAVE ALL OF YA SHOT!

Wow. Any controversery caused by those lyrics at the time?

By the way, does anyone know where I can go for Pink Floyd bootlegs? I just want to hear them play Dark Side back in the 70s, soes I can compare it to Pulse.

Tags
pink floyd