My top ten picks for the JJJ hottest 100

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hindley Street is a pretty good song as far as Powderfinger go. Partly because it's a street I pass through on a fairly regular basis.

If I hear that fucking 'I Can't Take It' song (which along with 'Is It A Banger' will probably make the top 20) again, I am probably going to go on a murder spree.

So my regular hottest 100 friends and I realised two things:

1. We're not likely to recognise much of the songs this year based on the likely choices
2. Aussie Day is on a Monday, with work on Tuesday impeding our ability to get smashed whilst listening

Solution: we're making our own playlist on Sunday to listen to on shuffle. Specific shots to drink when your song choice comes up depends on how close it is to the end. Plus BBQ and sleepover at our new digs. Result!

What's everyone else up to, triple j wise?

So my regular hottest 100 friends and I realised two things:

1. We're not likely to recognise much of the songs this year based on the likely choices
2. Aussie Day is on a Monday, with work on Tuesday impeding our ability to get smashed whilst listening

Solution: we're making our own playlist on Sunday to listen to on shuffle. Specific shots to drink when your song choice comes up depends on how close it is to the end. Plus BBQ and sleepover at our new digs. Result!

What's everyone else up to, triple j wise?

This is definitely a stealworthy idea.

And I have bugger all idea what Triple J has been hyping this year. I fully expect to not recognise the vast majority of stuff.

Well that worked for Beautiful Day in 2000, didn't it?

Personally I think most such campaigns are pretty silly.

Can't stand Swifty so hopefully this campaign falls flat. At the end of the day, for all their flaws, JJJ are still far more noble than other popular music stations in Australia.

That campaign has gotten wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of hand. People are taking it so seriously. I've been in like five twitter debates. Feminists are absolutely furious, 1 that she wasn't included in the first place and 2 that the Hottest 100 is sexist. Swift fans are furious at J's elitism. JJJ fans are the funniest though, they are so disgusted that a Taylor Swift song could dare to be in "their" countdown that they're really flipping their shit. It's so entertaining.

And Inte your argument is complete bullshit. JJJ is pretty much as mainstream as Fox, NOVA, MMM et al. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. Have a look at the history of the Hottest 100. Last year's top three were all played constantly on "commercial" radio as well. Lorde was number two. She's best friends with Tay Tay. How come Lorde's alright but Taylor Swift isn't? Sex on Fire is mainstream as hell. That won.

Now let's not go too far - in either direction - in making claims for or against how mainstream the Hottest 100 and Triple J are: ​Is Triple J’s hottest 100 getting more mainstream? | Music | The Guardian

Personally, I'm just amused that people are acting surprised/offended that an artist not played at all on Triple J in the previous year wasn't included in the longlist, when to be included in the longlist you have to be played at least once.

Triple J's Hottest 100 To Provoke Riots, Communal Clashes

If Is It A Banger wins, I fully anticipate the torching of whole suburbs.

How come Lorde's alright but Taylor Swift isn't?

Taylor's lost any semblance of lyrical depth, for one thing. After years of carving out her own niche, she's just doing what everyone else is doing. Meanwhile, Royals was fresh and different for pop radio and Lorde's album was solid. "Her" lyrics are also pretty OK.

Honestly, Shake It Off winning any countdown would be fucking lame, alternative rock station or otherwise. Even Blank Space would be better.

Last edited:
Who I think will probably actually win the Hottest 100 (or at least run very high in the list): one of those awful nu-'soul' outfits like The Preatures (it is a pun, right? Please tell me it isn't really 'Preachers').

And Inte your argument is complete bullshit. JJJ is pretty much as mainstream as Fox, NOVA, MMM et al. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. Have a look at the history of the Hottest 100. Last year's top three were all played constantly on "commercial" radio as well. Lorde was number two. She's best friends with Tay Tay. How come Lorde's alright but Taylor Swift isn't? Sex on Fire is mainstream as hell. That won.

It's not about JJJ being mainstream or not. It's about JJJ playing a far broader range of different artists, genres than MMM, NOVA, FOX, etc.

They certainly don't FEEL as "alternative" from the other stations as they used to be, but they still offer more to music fans than those other popular music stations. Those other flog networks wouldn't lay their hands on three of the most acclaimed artists of 2014, Run the Jewels, War on Drugs, St Vincent. JJJ do, so let's at least acknowledge that JJJ are better than the others on this regard.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Oh I agree with that. But I would still say that artists like War on Drugs, St Vincent, Sun Kil Moon get far less attention, play and praise than really shitty artists like Vance Joy, Boy & Bear, all that crap.

It's true that War On Drugs get relatively little hype on Triple J. They do get played, for a value of 'played' that is just Red Eyes (and probably nothing else ever). But that's better than nothing I guess.

Just heard them play the title track off Sleater Kinney's new album. Again, gets played, but I doubt will get much more than that.

To the best of my knowledge (and I have the radio on all day every day while I work, so my knowledge is pretty good) they have not played any new St Vincent material. Last time I can recall one of her songs was 'Cruel' some years ago.

Precisely why I never listen to JJJ or any radio. I don't know why I even get involved in arguments to be honest I'm always listening to my iPod.

Speaking personally, the reason I mostly have the radio on is that I need some noise; when I'm really actually listening to music I use headphones because that is the only way it sounds good. On the other hand, I cannot wear headphones for an extended period. It starts to give me a headache. Also, at a certain point it wouldn't matter what I had on; I'm tuned out and simply not listening. Could be my favourite album of all time, it wouldn't register.

So the radio it is, which, happily, puts me in a position to contribute to these stupid arguments!

Listening to highlights from Helen Razer and Mikey Robbins from this morning. I've never liked Helen Razer much because she's so constantly cynical and holier-than-thou and I've never really liked Mikey Robbins because I never thought he was very funny on Good News Week but this is pretty good and soooooooooo much better than Tom/Alex/Matt etc

Can't wait for Roy & HG and Adam and Wil

They should never have dropped Roy & HG (I mean I assume they did drop them, unless they were holding out for a paycheque the ABC could no longer afford).

Alex and Matto on the morning driiiiiiiiiive...

Sometimes you forget "cassingle" was ever a word people actually used.

Back
Top Bottom