Music suggestions? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 10:39 PM
Music suggestions?

So something interesting with NLOTH happened this year.. It didn't send me off into the exclusive world of rediscovering U2's music for the next 12 months like past releases did. And now I'm looking for new stuff to listen to.

Maybe based on my preferences, I would be lucky enough to have some people give me a few suggestions?

I'm kind of varied in my tastes, but not overly so. It probably could be broken down into categories and I'm a pretty black and white listener, I either like something or I hate it. So anyway, I like:

- UK rock: U2, Coldplay, The Killers (US I know but UK influenced), Oasis, Muse, Sting (if you'll allow the stretch to put him in a rock category), "Bends"-Era Radiohead; don't much care for UK alternative though like The Cure, Editors, etc

- US Mainstream pop/rock of the 80's: Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp, Tom Petty, Paul Simon, The Black Crows first two albums (even though they don't technically fit here, don't know where else to put them); Don't like much of their later offerings and would be shy to try them once again (except Bruce)

- Late 80's Hair Metal - Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, GNR, Tesla, Poison, Buckcherry (a 00's hair metal immitator)

- Early to mid 90's "Alternative" - Pearl Jam, Soul Asylum, Alice In Chains, Green Day, Counting Crows; But don't really care for any of these bands work after 1997.

- Alt Country - Son Volt, Whiskeytown, Uncle Tupelo.. All the bands that are as dead and gone as late 80's hair metal :-(

- 80's Alternative - The Replacements, pre-"Out Of Time" REM.

I'm kind of over Punk and don't really want to go back there again, so the new Green Day album holds little interest... Not that that's really punk anyway.

Strong Dislikes:

-Adult Top-40; John Mayer, Dave Matthews et al.
- New American "alternative" like King of Leon, White Stripes, Plain White Tees
- Hate nu metal like Daughtry, Hinder etc. If it sounds like a cross between Creed and Live I don't like it.

So I guess I'm pretty much a traditional rock and roll guy. Any new bands ya'll know of that may fit me?

Old 05-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Doves, Doves and more Doves

also, if you're really willing to stretch out of your comfort zone, check out Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavillion.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Doves, Doves and more Doves

also, if you're really willing to stretch out of your comfort zone, check out Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavillion.

What are the doves like?

Animal Collective.. experimental? I don't really have a comfort zone, I like trying new stuff. I may go running back to the old though... Experimentation just for the sake of it like Sufjan Stevens doesn't do much for me. But new sounds and new song structures I'm always up for.

Its just that, I went through the original 80's alternative period as it was happening so a lot of things I hear people claim are new, I'm like "hmmm, that's just remixed Bauhouse"
Old 05-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:39 PM
YouTube - Doves - The Cedar Room - Video

YouTube - Caught By The River

YouTube - Doves - Snowden

YouTube - Doves - Kingdom Of Rust
Old 05-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:09 PM
I concur on the Doves. Start out with their first album and work your way through there. All their albums are pretty solid, and their new one is great, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
Experimentation just for the sake of it like Sufjan Stevens doesn't do much for me.
Personally, I think Animal Collective are much more "for the sake of it" than Sufjan (hell, I love Sufjan) but who knows, it may be worth checking out MPP. It has converted a number of people.

Don't know if you listen to them already, but Husker Du, Aztec Camera, Minutemen and Pixies will do you good to go in your eighties alternative section, for a start. Pretty much a goldmine there. And I don't know what limits you have with early-mid 90's alternative (that term is kinda redundant) but you might like Swervedriver, Flying Saucer Attack, My Bloody Valentine, Lilys, Mudhoney, Sugar, Telescopes, Moose and Catherine Wheel. I mean, there's seriously a lot of stuff. Hope any one of these can help you.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
What are the doves like?

Animal Collective.. experimental? I don't really have a comfort zone, I like trying new stuff. I may go running back to the old though... Experimentation just for the sake of it like Sufjan Stevens doesn't do much for me. But new sounds and new song structures I'm always up for.

Its just that, I went through the original 80's alternative period as it was happening so a lot of things I hear people claim are new, I'm like "hmmm, that's just remixed Bauhouse"
Doves have been one of my top 5 bands since Lost Souls came out in 2000. i still scratch my head sometimes why Coldplay got so big and Doves did not. but i would classify them under the UK rock genre. they're amazing!

as far as Animal Collective, it's very experimental. you may have an epileptic seizure the first time you listen to them though.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
Honestly, I gotta say... this is one of the songs of the decade. I just adore it.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
I concur on the Doves. Start out with their first album and work your way through there. All their albums are pretty solid, and their new one is great, IMO.

we should just turn this into a Doves Appreciation Thread, lol!

yes, their new album is awesome! the bonus tracks are quite solid as well.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:39 AM
I'm on a pretty big Peter Gabriel kick at the moment, so there's that.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 09:39 PM
One of my disappointments with NLOTH was that there was less of a Moroccan influence than I thought there may have ended up being.

So, while not Moroccan per se, if you want to stretch out of your comfort zone, try these guys, they've been namechecked by Bono, Chris Martin, Peter Gabriel, Robert Plant (there's a poor youtube video out there of them doing whole lotta love with Robert Plant), and play them loud.

Tinariwen on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Old 05-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 05:39 PM
Doves, Kasabian, Stereophonics

But most of all OASIS (which you have already stated you like)
Old 05-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 05:39 AM
Check out "The National"

Great Band imo!

Try get there album Boxer or Alligator
Old 05-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForIt View Post
Doves, Kasabian, Stereophonics

But most of all OASIS (which you have already stated you like)
Your need to mention Oasis in every post even comes into play in response to a guy who's already a fan?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #14
Refugee

Thanks for the recommendations so far, I'm definately going to be trying a few of these. Listened to Amazon.com snippets of the doves, I'll be giving them a try. Animal Collective is kind of been there done that for me though.

The National sounds interesting, they're on the list.

Cannot stand Peter Gabriel. He fits, I know. And its a good recommendation given my list, and he's very talented. But I hate him.

Sad Punk: Husker, Pixies, Swerve Driver, Mudhoney et al... I was buying these albums as they were released late 80's/early 90's were my glory days. I actually didn't start liking heavy metal until the early 00's; first out of revery and later for the music on its own. But back during Heavy Metal's hey day I was listening to the Mats, REM, Soul Asylum, Bob Mould, Elvis Costello and all those guys pretty much exclusively. Sugar, oh my God, I wish they would get back together. Man they were awesome and Bob's completely tanked since.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS