Metallica is back ! - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2008, 10:39 PM   #106
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Uberbeaver is still a douche.
Fixed.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:39 AM   #107
you are what you is

Local Time: 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
A business move?

Pretty bad business.

Listing facts doesn't mean the hypothesis you're attempting to buttress them with is valid.

I still don't understand how POP was a bandwagon jump when they had gone even further into electronic music on Passengers. All they did was just blend those experiments with their own style. Pop is more of a hybrid, if anything, and it's certainly NOTHING like The Chem Bros., Prodigy, Underworld. Just cuz the band was listening to that stuff doesn't mean they were aping it.

Or have you not actually heard all the stuff you're talking about?
pretty bad business move indeed, but a business move nonetheless
perhaps if they'd had the balls to really push the project through all the way the album could have been as exciting as some individual tracks are now

of course POP is a hybrid
U2 tackling any genre is a hybrid
even when they play covers the covers end up sounding like a hybrid
the point you're trying to make here escapes me
Prodigy also didn't sound like Chemical Brothers and Underworld not like either of them
does that mean that this was not a musical current at the time?

you're statement that perhaps I haven't heard the music I'm talking about is just lame to be quite honest
everyone in Europe (I'll add that just to amuse myself) over the age at 15 (at the time) and remotely interested in music checked uot those albums
it was the most if nto only exciting thing happening
as a result I didn't find U2 moving into this territory particularly a surprise
when the execution ended up lacking I even foudn it rather disappointing

perhaps I'm confused but I don't believe I ever accused U2 of jumping on any bandwagon
I only got involved in this thread because you stated that POP was released WAY BEFORE Prodigy and Chemical Brothers released their breakthrough albums, which in fact was something like 1 and 4 months

I don't feel uncomfortable with U2 tapping into what's hot & happening in the world of music
they did it successfully with the Manchester scene around Achtung and less successfully with the "chemical beats" scene around POP
you win some, you lose some
perhaps if there had been anything worthwhile going around except for rap around early 2000 we wouldn't have gotten ATYCLB

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #108
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
perhaps I'm confused but I don't believe I ever accused U2 of jumping on any bandwagon
I only got involved in this thread because you stated that POP was released WAY BEFORE Prodigy and Chemical Brothers released their breakthrough albums, which in fact was something like 1 and 4 months
That's actually NOT what I stated. What I did say was that even though POP was only released slightly before those two albums, it was started long before, and was originally slated to come out before the end of the year. Had it done so, I don't think they would have appeared as joining the party so late in the game.

And I stand by what I said before. U2 was already in the realm of electronica on Zooropa, already combining hip-hop/proto trip-hop beats with rock as far back as Achtung Baby. All they did on POP was make it sound a little more organic, a little more "fun". If that's the effect of the influence of the club scene, sure. But doesn't that naturally come out of running a club from your hotel? I don't see how this translates to some kind of calculated business move.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:06 AM   #109
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:32 AM

Is this a U2 thread or a Metallica thread?

*pause*

Please don't answer with "U2".

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #110
Refugee

Local Time: 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonochick View Post
Is this a U2 thread or a Metallica thread?

*pause*

Please don't answer with "U2".
As I said, metallica is back !

Kerrang! Metallica preview new album in London
Old 06-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #111
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:32 PM
Hammett's solos are back? Well, that's good. I'm still only cautiously optimistic.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #112
Refugee

Local Time: 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Hammett's solos are back? Well, that's good. I'm still only cautiously optimistic.

Not only guitar solos, the rest of the article

METAL THRASHING MADNESS!
It must have stuck in James Hetfield’s craw to see the young bucks in Municipal Waste, Evile and Gama Bomb trying to nick his King Of The Riff crown from him. So, to remind these little gits exactly who it was who had a hand kickstarting the thrash movement, on the new record there’s a cavalcade of mental mosphpit moments, as well as the man declaring himself a “heavy metal riff machine”.

DARK LYRICS!
“Sunshine never comes”. “Show your scars”. “|Suicide, I’ve already died!”. On the new album, James Hetfield’s once again dealing with some serious stuff in his lyrics, making for some decidedly dark phrases. But it’s not all doom and gloom, he also declares that he’s “Up from the wreckage one more time”. After St Anger, ‘Tallica sure are.

LABYRINTHINE ARRANGEMENTS!
Placing dozens of riffs into maze-like arrangements and joining them up with cunning, tricky fills is essential to making classics like Master of Puppets twist and turn. Once again, Metalllica stick two fingers up to verse/chorus/verse and drop a cunningly designed carpet-bomb of riffola on us. Superb.

ULTRA-HEAVY PRODUCTION
Rick Rubin’s CV includes twiddling the knobs for Slayer, Mayhem, System of A Down and Trouble. If there’s an expert of heavy, it’s him, and he’s done a sterling job ensuring that ‘Tallica’s new album is heavier than a pregnant hippo. Although it’s much, much faster than that.

METAL THRASHING MADNESS!
It must have stuck in James Hetfield’s craw to see the young bucks in Municipal Waste, Evile and Gama Bomb trying to nick his King Of The Riff crown from him. So, to remind these little gits exactly who it was who had a hand kickstarting the thrash movement, on the new record there’s a cavalcade of mental mosphpit moments, as well as the man declaring himself a “heavy metal riff machine”.

DARK LYRICS!
“Sunshine never comes”. “Show your scars”. “|Suicide, I’ve already died!”. On the new album, James Hetfield’s once again dealing with some serious stuff in his lyrics, making for some decidedly dark phrases. But it’s not all doom and gloom, he also declares that he’s “Up from the wreckage one more time”. After St Anger, ‘Tallica sure are.

LABYRINTHINE ARRANGEMENTS!
Placing dozens of riffs into maze-like arrangements and joining them up with cunning, tricky fills is essential to making classics like Master of Puppets twist and turn. Once again, Metalllica stick two fingers up to verse/chorus/verse and drop a cunningly designed carpet-bomb of riffola on us. Superb.

ULTRA-HEAVY PRODUCTION
Rick Rubin’s CV includes twiddling the knobs for Slayer, Mayhem, System of A Down and Trouble. If there’s an expert of heavy, it’s him, and he’s done a sterling job ensuring that ‘Tallica’s new album is heavier than a pregnant hippo. Although it’s much, much faster than that.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #113
Blue Crack Supplier

The album title was revealed a month back and nobody bothered to update this thread! You know there aren't many Metallica fans around when most of the discussion in the thread revolves around U2's Pop.

Anyway, to the few souls that are interested...

Metallica Title New Album “Death Magnetic” : Rolling Stone : Rock and Roll Daily
Old 07-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #114
Blue Crack Supplier

The title sure doesn't sound very classic Metallica. More like Megadeth.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #115
Blue Crack Supplier

Maybe Hetfield misses his old buddy, Mustaine.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:05 AM   #116
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 06:32 AM
There's a soundboard quality stream of a live performance of the new track, 'Cyanide', from this last weekend.

BLABBERMOUTH.NET - METALLICA: Soundboard-Quality Audio Of 'Cyanide' Available For Streaming

It's not the best copy and it's live, so it's still hard to judge, but it sounds promising. Sweet guitars at about 5:15.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:29 AM   #117
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:32 AM
Lars is gonna sue your ass...
Old 08-13-2008, 09:33 AM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Crust, wish I was going to see them down South next week, ALONG WITH SUPPORT BAND TENACIOUS D!

DUCK SAKE!
Old 08-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

The Unforgiven III???

Are you fucking kidding me?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:16 PM   #120
Blue Crack Supplier

Unforgiven III Well, let's at least give the song a chance and not judge it from the title! I did like Unforgiven II.

But Cyanide... From what I've heard so far of bits and pieces of songs tested live and stuff, I'm pretty underwhelmed. I don't hear even Load/Reload quality let alone Puppets or Lightning. I'll probably wait to read reviews before buying this thing, if at all I buy it.

Tags
metallica