Lotus Plaza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
interesting comments regarding the reverb. personally, one of the things that hooked me on this album from the start is the fact that the reverb was toned down quite a bit in comparison to The Floodlight Collective.

agreed with LM, Monoliths is by far my favorite song of the year.

Yeah, it's toned down considerably from FC, but it could have been toned down more or done away with entirely on a few songs. I think he just needs to be more selective when he uses it, because sometimes it kills. Like on Different Mirrors. I know that's on FC, but fuck it's so good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lVLvRDSG3c

the album was given Best New Music on Pitchfork, though i think it deserves even higher than an 8.4.

It got BNM'd? Awesome, anything to get this album more attention. AOTY is between this and Bloom for the moment, with a huge dropoff after that.

It got BNM'd? Awesome, anything to get this album more attention. AOTY is between this and Bloom for the moment, with a huge dropoff after that.

agreed. Shearwater is somewhere in between the huge dropoff, but otherwise i agree completely.

My copy is on the way, but, Mikal, I've got to tell you that you've made my expectations unbelievably high for this one. I'm not sure there is any way that I can be satisfied at this point. :wink:

AOTY is between this and Bloom for the moment, with a huge dropoff after that.

Perfume Genius. :)

This obviously isn't the place for it, but I feel a need to say this somewhere: the latest Shins album is maybe the most superficial, uninspired thing I've heard in years. All gloss with no substance.

1. Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action At A Distance
2. Beach House - Bloom
3. Andrew Bird - Break It Yourself
4. Shearwater - Animal Joy
5. Sharon Van Etten - Tramp
6. John Talabot - Fin

30. The Shins - Port of Morrow

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that Perfume Genius album, it's just a record I need to spend more time with. It's also very much a mood album, so it remains to be seen how much I return to it throughout the year. Whatever the case, it's very good.

iron yuppie said:
My copy is on the way, but, Mikal, I've got to tell you that you've made my expectations unbelievably high for this one. I'm not sure there is any way that I can be satisfied at this point. :wink:

Hopefully it meets your expectations. :)

Honestly, I haven't been this excited about an album in a long time.

cobl04 said:
Sounds like me and Kaputt :)

Yeah. I be open to all albums that come out this year, but it's going to be hard for anything to top this album for me.

Good to see this album can attract non Deerhunter fans. I really do believe this album stands apart as more than just a Deerhunter side project.

Finally gave this a careful listen. Definitely a fine album, full of atmosphere and professionalism. I do think, though, that it also illustrates just how much Cox brings to the table for Deerhunter, particularly in terms of edge and eccentricity. Eveningness is a great track.

Funny thing is, my reaction after the first listen was that I was happy Cox was no where near this album.

Considering that this is much better than Deerhunter, I agree.

I'd have to disagree quite thoroughly with you there. I'd say Halcyon Digest is considerably stronger than this album. But to each their own, of course.

iron yuppie said:
I'd have to disagree quite thoroughly with you there. I'd say Halcyon Digest is considerably stronger than this album. But to each their own, of course.

Oh, I know I'm in the minority here with my feelings on Deerhunter. No worries.

I find Atlas Sound pretty dull. It's definitely good that Cox is kept in check, although I find his vocals and lyrics extremely good. Microcastle is still the best thing the group and its members are responsible for, but I'd say it's a close second between Spooky Action and Halcyon Digest.

Oh, I know I'm in the minority here with my feelings on Deerhunter. No worries.

I understand that Deerhunter is not for everyone. It certainly took me a while to come around to them.

I find Atlas Sound pretty dull. It's definitely good that Cox is kept in check, although I find his vocals and lyrics extremely good. Microcastle is still the best thing the group and its members are responsible for, but I'd say it's a close second between Spooky Action and Halcyon Digest.

The separation between Halcyon Digest and Spooky Action for me is in the diversity of the songs; Action strikes me as somewhat formless, whereas Halcyon is brimming with personality. Plus I do not think that there is anything on Action as immediately gripping as Helicopter or Desire Lines (even though LP was responsible for the latter). I've just always admired Halcyon for its blend of cohesion and song diversity.

I understand that Deerhunter is not for everyone. It certainly took me a while to come around to them.

The separation between Halcyon Digest and Spooky Action for me is in the diversity of the songs; Action strikes me as somewhat formless, whereas Halcyon is brimming with personality. Plus I do not think that there is anything on Action as immediately gripping as Helicopter or Desire Lines (even though LP was responsible for the latter). I've just always admired Halcyon for its blend of cohesion and song diversity.

i understand where you're coming from. Personally though, i feel that the songs on Spooky Action are just......better than Halcyon Digest.

Back
Top Bottom