Los Campesinos!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Imperor, did you look closely at the email? All the addresses of the recipients are there, and I saw yours.

I really hope that's not the full list of people in the U.S. who ordered, because it's not large.

Wow, I hadn't noticed that.

1. It's not a lot of people indeed.
2. Is it that hard to do BCC?

"Cemetery Gaits"

WRChGrO.gif

I think the UK pre-order was available several days before the US one. I wonder how many people went for that option instead?

My email doesn't show any other addressees, so no estimate of how many UK pre-orders there were.

Also, sorry for bumping this old thread. I was posting from my phone last night and when I searched for Los Camp this was the only thread that came up. :shrug:

First impressions:

It's sad to say, but the urgency isn't back yet. The wit, the humor, the breakneck speed is still absent on this album, and that's a bummer. Whatever it is that caused them to lose interest in making songs like Straight In At 101 and There Are Listed Buildings has crippled them such that they're still making emotionally wrought tunes 90% of the time.

Thankfully, this is a much more natural record than the last one on several levels. The melodies are very strong and likable, and Gareth is no longer indulging in self-pity to the exhausting degree he did on Hello Sadness. Most of these songs feel complete and quite well written, with nothing that goes off the rails.

In general, I like this album. I especially like Cemetery Gaits (horrendous pun aside) and Avacado Baby. This really isn't the direction I was hoping they would go in though, inching ever closer to po-faced alternative pop/rock and further away from the joyous music they used to make.

I agree that they haven't returned to Romance is Boring form here, but I do think they have achieved more immediacy and accessibility on this record than they did with Hello Sadness. I really enjoyed my first listen.
I was just going to plagiarism a moderately positive review from Amazon, but no one has posted anything yet.

Greatly enjoyed my three listens today, but I still haven't quite wrapped my noggin around it.

This album is really strong, even if the only sign of growth is Avocado, Baby (love the Talking Heads breakdown and the kiddie-sounding chorus). My fav at this point is As Lucerne, The Low, which has a really impressive vocal from Gareth.

Yeah, that one, Avocado and of course, Cemetery Gaits are some great songs. I'm happy enough with this album, which is basically how I feel with every one of their albums.

Or the word "Trequartista" in a song title. I had to look that shit up.

Anyone else had trouble with Pitchfork Advance? It's taking about five minutes to buffer each song. I'll wait til I get home.

Or the word "Trequartista" in a song title. I had to look that shit up.

Anyone else had trouble with Pitchfork Advance? It's taking about five minutes to buffer each song. I'll wait til I get home.

It always did that to me at work, but I've never had that problem at home.

I think I might actually like this band now. Of at least I like you! Me! Dancing! A hell of a lot better than the last time I heard it.

I really like this, guys. I agree it doesn't have the urgency of some of the earlier stuff, but in a way I think it is unfair that I relatively young band can keep said urgency when they mature. Cemetery Gaits and Avocado, Baby are the standouts for me, but there's a lot of nice stuff there, like For Flotsam and Portrait of the Trequartista...

Really like it. Cemetery Gaits is immediately one of my favourite LC! songs, up there with In Medias Res, I Just Sighed, We Are Beautiful..., 2007. What a ripping tune. I think there's plenty of urgency there, and even though the manic joy of the debut or the breadth of Romance is Boring isn't there I like it a lot. Avocado, Baby is a totally new sound for them.

Romance is Boring - 8.3 - reads like a higher score.
No Blues - 8.0 - introduced with "Los Campesinos!’s fifth album, No Blues, is their strongest release since the staggering 2008 two-fer Hold On Now, Youngster.../We Are Beatiful, We Are Doomed. In a strange way, it also ends up sounding like the happiest LC! record, or at least the most implicitly hopeful."

wtf? :huh:

I would guess that is because of the boobs on the cover of the Sky Ferreira album. Clickbait. But yeah, :down:

Not sure I'd agree it's their happiest release, either, surely Hold on Now Youngster smokes it in that regard.

Really enjoying this one, though it does make me wonder if I really gave Hello Sadness a fair shot.

They also pegged Tom as the drummer instead of whatever the name of the Ollie usurper is.

Doesn't even get the lead review, in deference to fucking Sky Ferreira. And of course, no BNM. Assholes.

I honestly haven't seen this band mentioned on any other music forum since their first album.

Back
Top Bottom