Life After R.E.M.: Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I drove through a Rockville in CT a little while ago. There wasn't anything to go back to there.

Glad cobbler only mostly cobbler's rem and didn't just start with reveal. But listen to Laz on this one.

That he managed to start with something from the Bill Berry years is a minor miracle. We couldn't expect him to actually make it back to the 80s.

And like, at least it wasn't Green.

Pilgrimage is one of their best songs ever.

Also, I like Green.

Also also, I agree that Cobbler should listen to Pageant post haste.

What, am I too good for you now? Once you've met a Cori, you don't need to meet a Cori again?

I SEE HOW IT IS.

I love every minute of Pilgrimage. It has such haunting verses and the bright, triumphant chorus is powerful. It connects through the wonderful atmosphere of the track, which feels like it's from another world, another time.

I'm probably the only person in the world who thinks that Perfect Circle is not just the best song on Murmur, but their best song ever. What an amazing song.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Laughing and Moral Kiosk are two of my favourite Murmur songs.

That might be more weird.

The only two songs on Murmur that aren't amazing are We Walk and West of the Fields. The first 10 tracks are sustained glory.

The first half of Reckoning is better than any stretch of songs on Murmur.
It might actually be their best stretch of songs on any album.
Though there is the first half of Fables and the first 5 songs of Pageant.
Personally I find the second half of Reckoning, Fables and Pageant rather mediocre though.

Up is great but too long, Adventures in Hifi is excellent but way too long.
Around the Sun is vastly underrated, Collapse into now an excellent farewell.
Automatic is a classic, Green is lots of fun and Out of Time is still my favourite R.E.M. album.

I like We Walk. It's a silly little ditty. But the first half in general trumps the second one pretty easily. Which can be said for all of their IRS records really, with the possible exception of Document.

Murmur's second half is just fine. A little weaker, sure, but at least Sitting Still is in the mix.

The only two songs on Murmur that aren't amazing are We Walk and West of the Fields. The first 10 tracks are sustained glory.

I wouldn't include 9-9 under "sustained glory".

Personally I find the second half of Reckoning, Fables and Pageant rather mediocre though.

Agree on the first two, but no side that has I Believe, Flowers Of Guatemala, and Swan Swan H deserves to be called mediocre.

Up is great but too long, Adventures in Hifi is excellent but way too long.
Around the Sun is vastly underrated, Collapse into now an excellent farewell.
Automatic is a classic, Green is lots of fun and Out of Time is still my favourite R.E.M. album.

You appear to have forgotten Reveal. I sure wish I could.

I like We Walk. It's a silly little ditty. But the first half in general trumps the second one pretty easily. Which can be said for all of their IRS records really, with the possible exception of Document.

I've never been a fan of Lightnin' Hopkins. Stipe's delivery is pretty grating on that one. And Fireplace, which I enjoy, doesn't hold a candle to any of the classics on Side One, which would be 5 out of the 6 songs on it. And Strange, while arguably an unnecessary cover, is fun enough.

So I think your general assessment it correct: the IRS albums are top-heavy.

Man, Side One of Reckoning is amazing, but Murmur is one of the most consistent albums ever, and kicks off R.E.M.'s status as the band on the slowest, best downward slide ever.

It's the second side of Reckoning I have a problem with. Second Guessing is upbeat but generic, Camera has its fans but I find it almost interminable. Letter Never Sent is fine, Rockville is fun but as I pointed out earlier a virtual remake of Shaking Through, and Little America is as weak a closer as West Of The Fields. This trend would continue with Wendell Gee, which I can't remember no matter how many times I listen to Fables. At least they redeem themselves on Lifes Rich Pageant. I consider Superman a bit of a bonus track after the phenomenal Swan Swan H, but that cover is a lot of fun anyway.

Murmur's second half is just fine. A little weaker, sure, but at least Sitting Still is in the mix.

Don't forget Catapult, one of the catchier songs on the album. And the aforementioned Shaking Through.

Document has the strongest finish of all the IRS records in my mind. I love that filthy simple riff of Oddfellows Local 151.

Lifes Rich Pageant is my favourite R.E.M. record, but that Superman cover is grating. I wish it finished with Swan Swan H.

Agree on the first two, but no side that has I Believe, Flowers Of Guatemala, and Swan Swan H deserves to be called mediocre.
I know I'm in the minority here, but I never cared much for Flowers or Swan Swan H. I think I prefer Heyena even.
I Believe is wonderful though.

I'm not a huge fan of swan swan h either. If I'm not mistaken, it is (or at least was at one point) my brother's favorite song on that album.

I usually stop LRP after Flowers of Guatemala. I Believe is good in the right mood. Swan Swan H is stupid. As for Document, I must admit I rarely listen to anything from it other than Finest Worksong and The One I Love.

I've never understood why the second half of Fables gets shit, though. Wendell Gee is weak, yes, but other than that the whole side is solid. Auctioneer in particular kills.

Back
Top Bottom