Life After R.E.M.: Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All these years later, Stand still sucks. What an idiotic, near worthless song. Can't believe they were opening with it on the Green Tour.

I'll take Big Girls Are Best or The Refugee over this shit any day of the week.

I think it's funny that they were opening with it to get it out of the way (if I recall correctly).

I have a bootleg where Stipe introduced it with something like this (although clearly in this show it wasn't the opening song):

"This next song is, alongside of Barber's Adagio For Strings, one of the greatest works ever recorded by man ..." (keyboard intro starts) Ha ha ha haaaaaaa.

340x-7.gif

Having one of those R.E.M. days, just can't stop listening to them! It was like for a minute I forgot that they were broken up. Then I remembered...

There is a clip from a Peter Buck concert in Athens at the 40 Watt Club where he, Mike Mills, Bill Berry and longtime REM sidemen Scott McGaughey and Bill Reiflin reunited for "Don't go back to Rockville". Too bad Michael didn't join them.

Always loved this song:

R.E.M. - Strange Currencies - YouTube

Just listening to Monster today, I'm reminded of how many positive associations I have with that album. It came out just when I was starting to get into music seriously.

I absolutely love Monster, it probably is my favourite R.E.M. album (more than Automatic For The People and Out Of Time).

I like Monster quite a bit too. Its definitely moved up my favorite list over the years.

Its also pretty cool that REM had the balls to follow up Out of Time and Automatic For The People with such a different sounding record.

I like Monster quite a bit too. Its definitely moved up my favorite list over the years.

Its also pretty cool that REM had the balls to follow up Out of Time and Automatic For The People with such a different sounding record.

Indeed. Just like U2 could've follow the JT/R&H receipt sonically speaking, R.E.M. could've done the same with the OOT/AFP type of sound, but they didn't. Monster is very cohesive to me, whether in terms of sound, or in terms of theme/concept. And those distorted guitars...:drool:

I was only 12 in 1994, a couple years away from really caring about alternative rock. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the fan reaction to Monster mostly negative? It still sold boatloads on the back of OOT and AFTP, but was this in fact their turning point into obscurity? New Adventures in Hi-Fi was a sales disappointment, and then after that Bill Berry quit and it was pretty much all downhill (although all REM 2.0 albums have their moments of greatness, for sure).

I really didn't pay much attention to R.E.M. until my ex girlfriend drug me to their concert in 2003. After that, I was hooked.

I was only 12 in 1994, a couple years away from really caring about alternative rock. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the fan reaction to Monster mostly negative? It still sold boatloads on the back of OOT and AFTP, but was this in fact their turning point into obscurity? New Adventures in Hi-Fi was a sales disappointment, and then after that Bill Berry quit and it was pretty much all downhill (although all REM 2.0 albums have their moments of greatness, for sure).

I really didn't pay much attention to R.E.M. until my ex girlfriend drug me to their concert in 2003. After that, I was hooked.

It was. Monster was for R.E.M. fans what the 1990's was for some U2 fans. Many R.E.M. fans were legitimately expecting something in the vein of Out Of Time and Automatic For The People, since the former didn't have a tour. But not only R.E.M. released something with a different lyrical theme/content, as with a straight forward sound, more raw, with no mandolins or electro-acoustic elements, but filled with distorted guitars, playing a lot more with feedback and tremolo. Monster was an assumed stadium-rock album, but always lyrically cynical and skeptical. This, coming from a band that 7 years earlier had switched an indie label and an indie attitude for Warner Bros and started releasing popular songs, was an even deeper stab for the most traditional fanbase.
As to me, I prefer, by miles, the OOT-AFP-Monster combo than anything of the I.R.S. era.

I heard Reckoning yesterday and it made my day a lot better.

Seriously those first four tracks are unfair to all other music.

Did you never call? I waited for your call. These rivers of suggestion are driving me away...

:drool:

Always loved that opening verse. Perfect, really.

Back
Top Bottom