LCD Soundsystem: One Thread Is Never Enough - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter

Old 01-05-2016, 10:34 PM   #316
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:08 PM
Why would your enjoyment of 5 years ago change at all because they got back together today? Barring time travel, it did not change anyone's experience of that show, which is what people paid thousands of dollars for.

My friend who went to that show is pretty happy they are back together.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:35 PM   #317
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
At least Murphy had it in him to mention it. People spent thousands of dollars on that show and traveled from all over the country with the assumption that it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. On the other hand, they did get something great in return. It was just a whole lot less significant than they assumed.
Isn't that same type of mentality that he lampooned in Losing My Edge, though? Holding up a concert experience for a relatively little-known band as some kind of badge of authenticity?

Old 01-05-2016, 10:43 PM   #318
A childless dog

Local Time: 10:08 AM
LCD Soundsystem: One Thread Is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
Why would your enjoyment of 5 years ago change at all because they got back together today? Barring time travel, it did not change anyone's experience of that show, which is what people paid thousands of dollars for.

My friend who went to that show is pretty happy they are back together.

I've put off seeing plenty of shows because I assumed I would have another opportunity to do so. If you're a hardcore fan and there's a supposed "final show" on the other side of the country, you make that happen. Ask any of our resident U2 fans that fly to Ireland or Canada or wherever else to see a show that's perceived as unique in some way.

It is extremely naive to assume that any relatively young artist is putting on a "final show," I agree with Laz on that. And I have zero sympathy for anyone sitting out this reunion because they got burned. That's childish behavior. But the band did sell an event under a misleading pretense. That is a fact. And I'm glad that Murphy went out of his way to mention it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Isn't that same type of mentality that he lampooned in Losing My Edge, though? Holding up a concert experience for a relatively little-known band as some kind of badge of authenticity?

No. One regards coolness, the other regards close emotional attachment to an established artist. If you're bragging that you saw the first Can show in Cologne, you didn't fly there from America because you adore Can. I don't think people are bemoaning a sudden drop in cool points.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:47 PM   #319
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

My point is that anyone who went to that show had a blast. They have no reason whatsoever to re-evaluate how they feel about that awesome experience because of something that happened five years later. The memories are still there.

I don't think it was a misleading pretense. They probably believed at that point it was their last show. I do think it was sincere. And it was a fucking great show. One should be happy to have attended, regardless of what comes after.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:51 PM   #320
A childless dog

LCD Soundsystem: One Thread Is Never Enough

I'm not disagreeing with you. In fact, I went out of my way to mention that they received a great show in return. I still wish I had thrown down the cash to see them then because it was a terrific marathon of a show.

I also don't mean to say that anyone was consciously misled. There's no reason to suspect that Murphy had ulterior motives for marketing the show the way he did. It would have sold out regardless.

Now.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:54 PM   #321
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Anyways, I'm really excited to catch them live this year. Hopefully not at MSG.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #322
A childless dog

I hope they do a Localchella show. Two festivals is fine, but a theater or club would be a more fitting venue. It seems like they're getting more ambitious every day with this tour, so maybe.

Now.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:14 PM   #323
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Im new to the LCD, are there any recommendations for first listen?
Old 01-05-2016, 11:18 PM   #324
45:33

Local Time: 05:08 AM
They only have three albums (they're all very good too so you can't really go wrong) so you could listen to their whole catalogue in about three or four hours.

But I'd suggest starting with Sound of Silver. It has what is widely regarded as their best two songs back-to-back as well as several other hits. If you don't like it you won't like the band.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:21 PM   #325
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
They only have three albums (they're all very good too so you can't really go wrong) so you could listen to their whole catalogue in about three or four hours.

But I'd suggest starting with Sound of Silver. It has what is widely regarded as their best two songs back-to-back as well as several other hits. If you don't like it you won't like the band.
ok thanx.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:42 AM   #326

I mean, I can see where these people are coming from. It was a very cool and satisfying way to "finish". Rare that a band goes out so perfectly. And if they'd never got back together I was happy. Went out on top. So I felt similar pangs of "noooo". But all that said at the end of the day one of my absolutely favourite ever bands is making a new album and doing a new tour. And I'm massively happy about that and so excited to see what eventuates. That outweighs by miles any annoyance (of which there is a minuscule amount anyway).
Old 01-06-2016, 01:28 AM   #327
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Murphy writes all the songs. He can program and play whatever he wants to. He doesn't need them to continue as LCD Soundsystem, and I imagine few fans outside a particular NYC scene would care if he did without them.
I mean you're not wrong that fans would probably not notice nor care that much about the change, it just seems like you're discounting how, you know, Murphy and them feel about it.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:43 AM   #328
A childless dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
My one issue with the whole confessional Facebook post was the idea that "Pat" and "Nancy" had to deliberate about whether they wanted Murphy's material to become an official band album.

Yeah, I'm sure it was real rough for those two nobodies who no one gives a fuck whether or not they're involved with LCD Soundsystem to decide whether they wanted more steady income from someone else's creative project.

Please.
I wonder how much input the other members of LCD Soundsystem had in breaking up/reuniting.

"Hey guys, sorry to put you out, but I'm going to go buy a wine bar and DJ some block parties so I can pretend I'm 20 again. Our farewell show is tonight."

"Wait, what? What are we suppo-"

5 years later

"Hey guys, I'm bored and need money. Want to be LCD Soundsystem again? We're headlining Coachella twice. I'll cut you guys in, 90/10."

"Are you fucking kidding me"

Now.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:47 AM   #329
Blue Crack Addict

They all have their own musical projects but after three tours I'm sure Murphy feels like they're part of the whole thing. I don't see why giving them the right of first refusal is such a big deal, but then again this is Laz, so, yeah.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:45 AM   #330

never mindddddd