Ladies and Gentlemen: The Who

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzledbylight

Blue Crack Supplier
One of the most powerful, intense, and beautiful live music playing rock bands ever.

All my other ultra favorite bands i love were compared to The Who's standard

2 extraordinary songs:
a deep cut / from Who's next -The Song Is Over
Pure and Easy (rarely sung, heard it twice in '71) it's first two lines appear as iknd of a coda on TSIO. The original WN didn't contain it, appeared on later deluxe CDs. Appeared first on Odds & Sods.

Albums: Who's Next, Quadrophrenia, Tommy, Who Are You

Seen them since 1968; my very first show was the last time they wore power-pop stage clothes!

My most favorite shows of theirs have been Tommy at the Filmore East, Who's Next at Forest Hills Stadium '71 (both nights)!, a ?'79 MSG show were Pete played one of the most amazing one-off solos I ever heard him play! The '89 Giants Std, and heard them from outside Forest Hills Std 2015 Still sounded great!

This past 9/1/29 show was very good to fantastic! They can still bring it! :applaud:

I'd love to hear anyone's concert stories, any era, configuration etc.
I've got plenty. :D

Last edited:
I was playing in a band in 2004 when my bass player suggested we added a song to our set called "Bargain". It didn't ring a bell, but after tracking it down I recognized the chorus. To figure out how it worked live, I picked up the (new at the time) Live In Boston 2002 DVD, and Bargain, Pinball Wizard, and My Generation became staples of our live set for the next 6 years or so.

I started exploring the rest of their catalog, and two things jumped out to me. The full Live at Leeds gig is incredible, the energy coming out of the four of them is barely human. Managing to bring the audience with them through the whole of Tommy, which, successful as it was, isn't exactly brimming with hit singles, is a masterpiece of musicianship and showmanship.

In 2005 I heard Quadrophenia for the first time, and as a 17 year old then it felt as if it had been written just for me. "Cut My Hair" is still the best summary of those disorienting teen years I can imagine.

That whole era was a fun time to be a Who fan as they were gearing up to release their first album in 22 years. I still love Endless Wire, in another era Black Widow's Eyes and It's Not Enough would have been surefire hits.

I didn't get to see them live until 2012 but have made up for lost time, catching them in 12 (Quadrophenia with Zak), '13 (Quadrophenia with the other drummer whose name I forget), '16 in Denver, '16 at the Isle of Wight, and I greatly look forward to seeing them in Seattle next month.

The shows from '12-present, with Roger in charge and the larger band, are frustrating in principle, the leaner group from '99-'06 felt like an actual working band rather than a "legacy act", but they still sound amazing. Pete said in an interview this summer that Roger really wants to be an a Who tribute band, and I think he's more or less right about that, I'm just glad Pete still agrees to be his guitarist.

:wave:

Hi. I know it has appeared rude taking so long to post back- but i only get to free wifi intermittently (none at home) and i haven't even been able to get there for a whole week!

And now i just lost the long post i was writing to you both. :grumpy:
Only an hour left in library and i haven't even checked my mail or fb yet - i will repost in next couple of days. :up:

:wave::wave:
Hey, guys... Finally enough time to give you a proper response. :)

Never seen them sadly. Quadrophenia is in my all-time top five. Who's Next not far behind.

Awww, sorry to hear. But, hey, they did very reccently announce a UK tour for 2020. So...maaaybe... The Commonwealth to follow?

Quad is so fantastic! call it my 1.5 favorite after WN. Different styles of music at times. Some fan wondered if Roger minded some of the complex melodies he had to sing. I think he enjoyed the challenge!
The Real Me, the Punk Meets the Godfather, Is It In My Head, I've Had Enough, Drowned, Bell Boy, The Rock, and - of course- Love Reign Over Me are my favorites.

I was playing in a band in 2004 when my bass player suggested we added a song to our set called "Bargain". It didn't ring a bell, but after tracking it down I recognized the chorus. To figure out how it worked live, I picked up the (new at the time) Live In Boston 2002 DVD, and Bargain, Pinball Wizard, and My Generation became staples of our live set for the next 6 years or so.

I started exploring the rest of their catalog, and two things jumped out to me. The full Live at Leeds gig is incredible, the energy coming out of the four of them is barely human. Managing to bring the audience with them through the whole of Tommy, which, successful as it was, isn't exactly brimming with hit singles, is a masterpiece of musicianship and showmanship.

In 2005 I heard Quadrophenia for the first time, and as a 17 year old then it felt as if it had been written just for me. "Cut My Hair" is still the best summary of those disorienting teen years I can imagine.

That whole era was a fun time to be a Who fan as they were gearing up to release their first album in 22 years. I still love Endless Wire, in another era Black Widow's Eyes and It's Not Enough would have been surefire hits.

I didn't get to see them live until 2012 but have made up for lost time, catching them in 12 (Quadrophenia with Zak), '13 (Quadrophenia with the other drummer whose name I forget), '16 in Denver, '16 at the Isle of Wight, and I greatly look forward to seeing them in Seattle next month.

The shows from '12-present, with Roger in charge and the larger band, are frustrating in principle, the leaner group from '99-'06 felt like an actual working band rather than a "legacy act", but they still sound amazing. Pete said in an interview this summer that Roger really wants to be an a Who tribute band, and I think he's more or less right about that, I'm just glad Pete still agrees to be his guitarist.

How cool the band you were in liked Who songs enough to cover them. And you thus discovered them.

It was truly amazing to be in the crowd (esp with the original foursome) and see just how powerful and sometimes briefly astonishingly sweet/beautiful in melody, singing, bits of guitar work they were! omg! Just 4 guys! As it's been said; Lead Singer, Lead Guitarist, Lead Bassist, and Lead Drummer all in one band. :lol:

Even with the above statement/experiences (from my initial post) I'm not discounting what they are doing now! I'm so glad I saw them again! A lot of power is still there - you'll probably see that when they did their band-only segment. Two of my faves were played from Quad and they done and brung it!
And I loved their '89 show even with all the other people playing with them.

I have to go back q and listen to Endless Wire.

The '12 Quad show was one I was thinking about - either $$, or my tri-fractured ankle prevented that. In fact i was supposed to see Springsteen the next day. I'm in the ER - "I guess I'm not getting to see Springsteen tomorrow, am I?!? " :( (nope)
A
Yes, a blessing that Pete agreed to be in (Roger's) "Who Tribute" band.
Zak works very well with them (Moon taught him). And Simon is also a gift to be with them.
I hope you'll drop in and tell us how your Seattle show goes. :up:
I think you're going to have a great time.

Oh, and btw, have either of you heard - Who Are You/The Gateway Mix, part of Pete's Lifehouse project.

Either of you have any thoughts on Lifehouse? Parts of it ended up on WN.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom