Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
45:33

Local Time: 10:54 AM
Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city

So I know I've been starting a million threads this year but I figure it's a good thing! So you'll excuse me for this thread (and who knows, maybe it will bring Cassie back )

Section.80 was dope, and this just got BNM'd and 9.5'd, one of the highest scores of the year so far.

I haven't heard it yet, it's out Friday here (I hope) but yeah, I feel like it's going to be getting a lot of love very soon.

Here's the songs I've heard so far. He's got a sick flow.

Kendrick Lamar - Swimming Pools (Explicit) - YouTube

Kendrick Lamar feat Dr Dre - Compton [Prod. by Just Blaze] - YouTube

Kendrick Lamar - Backseat Freestyle (good kid, m.A.A.d city) - YouTube

Old 10-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
The Male

Local Time: 03:54 PM
I'm pumped beyond belief for this.

Right now it's looking like the only album that can top The Seer on RYM for 2012.

Really, based on the staggering hype and this dude's solid debut, I'm expecting something on MBDTF's level.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 05:54 PM
I watched him on Conan last night, it was probably one of the crappiest performances I've sat through in quite some time. Maybe the studio versions of his songs are considerably better, but I really have no interest in checking them out now.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I'm expecting something on MBDTF's level
It wasn't anywhere near that good.

Why does Kendrick insist on using so many irritating vocal hooks? I thought Hol' Up was a bit grating; Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe's vocals make me want to tear my ears off.

On the other hand, the beats and production are astounding. Great flow in the sequencing. A lot of love was put into constructing this thing.

Now.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon

It wasn't anywhere near that good.

Why does Kendrick insist on using so many irritating vocal hooks? I thought Hol' Up was a bit grating; Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe's vocals make me want to tear my ears off.

On the other hand, the beats and production are astounding. Great flow in the sequencing. A lot of love was put into constructing this thing.
Really? Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe is chill as. Awesome song. Awesome album, too. Can't stop playing it.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Right now it's looking like the only album that can top The Seer on RYM for 2012.
Wow, there's going to be a downrating shitstorm if this tops The Seer in the next chart update (which is overdue).

That said, I'm amazed The Seer hasn't suffered more harshly at the hands of downrating. It's not exactly accessible ... or very good.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
The Male

Evidently, most disagree! I know I do

I figured Godspeed might be able to take it out, but it looks to have fallen just short. Kendrick Lamar will be the next MBDTF unless downrating kills the shit out of it. Nothing could stop MBDTF in spite of BLATANT downrating on par with what you see for albums in the top 10. I would love to see what its score is without that brick wall of 0.5s.

Now.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #8
Vocal parasite

I actually thought you didn't rate The Seer that highly.

I never really expected Godspeed to get #1 - in fact, given the weight of expectations and all the baggage it seems people are bringing to the new album, I'm impressed it's stayed as high as it has.

If Kendrick Lamar can withstand the tide of downrating in the fortnight immediately after the next chart update, then I imagine the album will hold on to a damn good spot by year's end.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-27-2012, 01:40 AM   #9
The Male

The Seer is an easy 4/5 for me right now, will probably go up on future listens but obviously I go back to White Light and Great Annihilator more often. They're far more accessible.

I just checked the score for Good Kid, Mad City and I'm stunned. I DON'T think it's that good, but I do like it. Better than some hipster-accepted metal record that three people have heard getting #1 I guess.

Now.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:53 AM   #10
Vocal parasite

But I want my hipster-accepted metal record that three people have heard to be #1!

... if I'm going to post this much in this thread, perhaps I should listen to the album.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-27-2012, 02:07 AM   #11
45:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V

Really? Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe is chill as. Awesome song. Awesome album, too. Can't stop playing it.
True man. Good to see you around.

I like this album, and I suspect it will grow on me with every listen and slowly become love, but man, it's pretty inaccessible. Especially when compared with Section.80. The great moments from that record that you could cherry pick aren't to be found here, Compton and Backseat Freestyle aside.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #12
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
But I want my hipster-accepted metal record that three people have heard to be #1!

... if I'm going to post this much in this thread, perhaps I should listen to the album.
You listened to fucking Death Grips *twice*, so I don't know why you should skip something good in the genre.

Now.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:12 AM   #13
Vocal parasite

Quote:
You listened to fucking Death Grips *twice*, so I don't know why you should skip something good in the genre.
I can't resist incessant hype on RYM, I think this has been well-established. I mean, I wasn't going to waste my time on Swans' new one either until everybody prattled on about it forever.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-27-2012, 03:39 AM   #14
The Male

You know what really bugs me about this album? The fucking skits. I actually enjoy them for the most part, but they are so long and kill the momentum. I'd love to get rid of them, but they're embedded in the tracks. No skit should be nearly 2 minutes long.

The beats though. The BEATS. I want to drive around bumping Backstreet Freestyle in my car all day. It's like A Milli, but not hilariously bad.

EDIT: Alright, this is growing on me. Feel like I could drink a swimming pool of liquor right now, guys. I don't know why he raps like Urkel sometimes though.

Now.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #15
Vocal parasite

Not feeling this, sorry. Some parts are good, but in general I'm either a tad bored, or put off by the religious bits. The end of I'm Dying of Thirst in particular - which is a shame, because before the long prayer, it was actually a decent track.

Gig pictures | Blog