Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
So I know I've been starting a million threads this year but I figure it's a good thing! So you'll excuse me for this thread (and who knows, maybe it will bring Cassie back :sad:)

Section.80 was dope, and this just got BNM'd and 9.5'd, one of the highest scores of the year so far.

I haven't heard it yet, it's out Friday here (I hope) but yeah, I feel like it's going to be getting a lot of love very soon.

Here's the songs I've heard so far. He's got a sick flow.

Kendrick Lamar - Swimming Pools (Explicit) - YouTube

Kendrick Lamar feat Dr Dre - Compton [Prod. by Just Blaze] - YouTube

Kendrick Lamar - Backseat Freestyle (good kid, m.A.A.d city) - YouTube

I'm pumped beyond belief for this.

Right now it's looking like the only album that can top The Seer on RYM for 2012.

Really, based on the staggering hype and this dude's solid debut, I'm expecting something on MBDTF's level.

I watched him on Conan last night, it was probably one of the crappiest performances I've sat through in quite some time. Maybe the studio versions of his songs are considerably better, but I really have no interest in checking them out now.

I'm expecting something on MBDTF's level

It wasn't anywhere near that good.

Why does Kendrick insist on using so many irritating vocal hooks? I thought Hol' Up was a bit grating; Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe's vocals make me want to tear my ears off.

On the other hand, the beats and production are astounding. Great flow in the sequencing. A lot of love was put into constructing this thing.

LemonMelon said:
It wasn't anywhere near that good.

Why does Kendrick insist on using so many irritating vocal hooks? I thought Hol' Up was a bit grating; Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe's vocals make me want to tear my ears off.

On the other hand, the beats and production are astounding. Great flow in the sequencing. A lot of love was put into constructing this thing.

Really? Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe is chill as. Awesome song. Awesome album, too. Can't stop playing it.

Right now it's looking like the only album that can top The Seer on RYM for 2012.

Wow, there's going to be a downrating shitstorm if this tops The Seer in the next chart update (which is overdue).

That said, I'm amazed The Seer hasn't suffered more harshly at the hands of downrating. It's not exactly accessible ... or very good.

Evidently, most disagree! I know I do :wink:

I figured Godspeed might be able to take it out, but it looks to have fallen just short. Kendrick Lamar will be the next MBDTF unless downrating kills the shit out of it. Nothing could stop MBDTF in spite of BLATANT downrating on par with what you see for albums in the top 10. I would love to see what its score is without that brick wall of 0.5s.

I actually thought you didn't rate The Seer that highly.

I never really expected Godspeed to get #1 - in fact, given the weight of expectations and all the baggage it seems people are bringing to the new album, I'm impressed it's stayed as high as it has.

If Kendrick Lamar can withstand the tide of downrating in the fortnight immediately after the next chart update, then I imagine the album will hold on to a damn good spot by year's end.

The Seer is an easy 4/5 for me right now, will probably go up on future listens but obviously I go back to White Light and Great Annihilator more often. They're far more accessible.

I just checked the score for Good Kid, Mad City and I'm stunned. I DON'T think it's that good, but I do like it. Better than some hipster-accepted metal record that three people have heard getting #1 I guess.

But I want my hipster-accepted metal record that three people have heard to be #1!

... if I'm going to post this much in this thread, perhaps I should listen to the album.

Mr. V said:
Really? Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe is chill as. Awesome song. Awesome album, too. Can't stop playing it.

True man. Good to see you around.

I like this album, and I suspect it will grow on me with every listen and slowly become love, but man, it's pretty inaccessible. Especially when compared with Section.80. The great moments from that record that you could cherry pick aren't to be found here, Compton and Backseat Freestyle aside.

But I want my hipster-accepted metal record that three people have heard to be #1!

... if I'm going to post this much in this thread, perhaps I should listen to the album.

You listened to fucking Death Grips *twice*, so I don't know why you should skip something good in the genre.

You listened to fucking Death Grips *twice*, so I don't know why you should skip something good in the genre.

I can't resist incessant hype on RYM, I think this has been well-established. I mean, I wasn't going to waste my time on Swans' new one either until everybody prattled on about it forever.

You know what really bugs me about this album? The fucking skits. I actually enjoy them for the most part, but they are so long and kill the momentum. I'd love to get rid of them, but they're embedded in the tracks. No skit should be nearly 2 minutes long.

The beats though. The BEATS. I want to drive around bumping Backstreet Freestyle in my car all day. It's like A Milli, but not hilariously bad.

EDIT: Alright, this is growing on me. Feel like I could drink a swimming pool of liquor right now, guys. I don't know why he raps like Urkel sometimes though.

Not feeling this, sorry. Some parts are good, but in general I'm either a tad bored, or put off by the religious bits. The end of I'm Dying of Thirst in particular - which is a shame, because before the long prayer, it was actually a decent track.

I'm only on track 2,but damm, what a discrepancy between how amazing the beats are and
How shit the lyrics.

Was mlks dream to have a Dick so large he could fuck the whole world for 72 hours?

And what an odd request. Does he only want a Dick that large for 72 hours, or does he want to have a Dick large enough to give him the ability to fuck the whole world for 72 hour periods of time? Why only 72 hours?

The lyrics sounded great to me for the most part. Every hip-hop album has a boastful track with lyrics like that. Take Big Boi - "I'm shittin' on niggas and peein' on the seat / it's the nigga the B-I-G B-O-I O-U-T"

The only problem I have with that lyric is that it reminds me of "I bet I could fuck the world and make it cum hard" from Lil Wayne's Gonorrhea

bono_212 said:
Was mlks dream to have a Dick so large he could fuck the whole world for 72 hours?

And what an odd request. Does he only want a Dick that large for 72 hours, or does he want to have a Dick large enough to give him the ability to fuck the whole world for 72 hour periods of time? Why only 72 hours?

Hahahaha. Wtf. I'm never going to listen to this, but I shall continue to read this thread for further hilariousness.

Hahahaha. Wtf. I'm never going to listen to this, but I shall continue to read this thread for further hilariousness.

It's worth emphasising that the penis size he desires is that of the Eiffel Tower.

Frankly, I'm not sure the world would really notice being fucked by that. Now, a dick the size of Everest? I'll pay that. But the Eiffel Tower fucking the world sounds to me like a breadcrumb trying to make sweet love to my knee.

I got pretty bored by the album about halfway through,but I still applaud the sick beats. On to Calvin Harris.

It's a good album, guys.

Although I am relieved that someone besides me considers it less than a 5/5, A+ masterpiece.

Backseat Freestyle is one of my favorites because the beat is sick and the lyrics are hilarious. Not a good example of what the album sounds like though.

True man. Good to see you around.

I like this album, and I suspect it will grow on me with every listen and slowly become love, but man, it's pretty inaccessible. Especially when compared with Section.80. The great moments from that record that you could cherry pick aren't to be found here, Compton and Backseat Freestyle aside.

Disagree. 'Great' moments are pretty obvious:
Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe
Backstreet Freestyle
Money Trees
Poetic Justice
Swimming Pools (Drank)
Compton

And then The Recipe...

Re: the 72 hours line. That sort of chest-beating just isn't Kendrick, or this album. In context, that song is - according to P4K, which is spot on here - "the moment in the narrative when young Kendrick's character first begins rapping, egged on by a friend who plugs in a beat CD. Framed this way, his "damn, I got bitches" chant gets turned inside out: This isn't an alpha male's boast. It's a pipsqueak's first pass at a chest-puff."

Mr. V said:
Disagree. 'Great' moments are pretty obvious:
Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe
Backstreet Freestyle
Money Trees
Poetic Justice
Swimming Pools (Drank)
Compton

And then The Recipe...

Re: the 72 hours line. That sort of chest-beating just isn't Kendrick, or this album. In context, that song is - according to P4K, which is spot on here - "the moment in the narrative when young Kendrick's character first begins rapping, egged on by a friend who plugs in a beat CD. Framed this way, his "damn, I got bitches" chant gets turned inside out: This isn't an alpha male's boast. It's a pipsqueak's first pass at a chest-puff."

All great songs, but there was nothing I immediately loved like Fuck Your Ethnicity, Ronald Reagan Era, Rigamortis, etc.

And :up: to all that. Seems a bit weird to pick out that lyric when there's heaps of other great lyrics and nearly every other hip-hop has a lyric similar.

I'm just as willing to make fun of stuff like that in any other hip hop, though. It's a big part of why I hate the vast majority of the stuff I've heard. With shitty rock lyrics, I'm much more forgiving when they're accompanied by guitars. I have no idea who this guy is, what any of it sounds like, and dint intend to find out. I only popped in cos one of the funnier posts came up on the app and I was curious.

What does bmn'd mean anyway?

The album received the best new music tag from pitchfork: b.n.m.

I was amused by the assertion that king shared the giant Dick dream with Kendrick.

Rap Genius had a dream:

Also, the Eiffel Tower is 324.00 m (1,063 ft) tall, and the Earth is 7,926.41 miles (12,756.32 kilometers) in diameter, so his dick would be 0.025% of the 'length' of the world.

Absolutely cannot get enough of Backseat Freestyle and especially Swimming Pools, which I've had on constant loop for the past day or so. It's hedonistic and mainstream, but a bit surreal too.

There are some ridiculous, trashy lyrics on this record, but to say they're far behind the beats is way off the mark IMO. Sit down and read the lyrics while you listen; it's like an autobiographical novel, but pulpy. Section.80 was a manifesto for Kendrick's entire belief system, and Good Kid is a history of where Kendrick came from, how much of a fuckup he was, and yeah, that's not a pretty subject. The narrative arc the album has is amazing, with some great emotional peaks (Real) and troughs (The Art of Peer Pressure) along the way. Dying of Thirst is a fairly upsetting climax too, a sad and terrifying outpouring of phobias and Catholic guilt.

I still don't know what he's doing with that alien voice though.

Back
Top Bottom