Is "In Rainbows" underrated?? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:43 AM
Oh good, it's about time we got a new nutcase around here.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:43 PM
He's a big Editors fan though, so I'll welcome him with open arms... Open Your Arms and welcome, the people to your town.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gherman View Post
I'm glad you asked because Zooropa sucks balls...
No it does not.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I honestly prefer Gnarls Barkley's version. The missing final instrumental break notwithstanding of course. Cee Lo's vocals are stronger than Thom's.
I had no idea that this existed until just now, and I think it may just be my new favorite thing ever.
YouTube - Gnarls Barkley - Reckoner (Radiohead cover live HIGH QUALITY)
Old 02-07-2011, 12:53 AM   #50
War Child

Local Time: 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
This is all completely true. The problem is your first line and, by extension, the purpose of this thread. IMO, there is no such thing as an underrated Radiohead album, and I say that while adoring most of them. It's convenient that I do love the band as much as I do, or I would probably consider their fans as insufferable as everyone else does.

"One person the other day" must be an old user; nobody is allowed to have a name that long anymore. Narrows it down a little.
a friend.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #51
War Child

Local Time: 06:43 AM
my two cents. Great album, among my top 10 of the decade. It's either their 2nd, 3rd or 4th best lp depending on how I'm feeling that day. Reckoner is one of their finest songs. OK Computer still number 1 in my book.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barlowdog View Post
my two cents. Great album, among my top 10 of the decade. It's either their 2nd, 3rd or 4th best lp depending on how I'm feeling that day. Reckoner is one of their finest songs. OK Computer still number 1 in my book.
Damn. Strong post.

This sums up basically my exact thoughts about the album. I agree with all of it.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #53
Blue Meth Addict

When barlowdog actually posts, he posts quality.

I have avoided this thread, as I too am a bit confused by anyone calling any Radiohead album other than Pablo Honey "underrated". Maybe in the spectrum of pop or radio music, In Rainbows was underrated. In the general realm of music though, it received massive amounts of press, universal critical acclaim, and essentially everyone who likes music "bought" it because of the initial "pay what you want" model.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond the greatness of Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree while eating brownies. In The Hive™.
In Rainbows is my second favorite Radiohead album, just after OK Computer. I think it's one of the best albums released this decade and it was an instant favorite of mine when I caught Radiohead on VH1 doing the In Rainbows from the basement in late May/ early June (can't remember exactly which month) 2008. That broadcast made me buy In Rainbows. It's the first Radiohead album I bought and listened to and I'm really glad I went for it and now I'm a pretty big fan. I'd say it isn't all that underrated, nor overrated. I think the reception was pretty good and I just plain love this album for so many reasons I can't even list them all. Good memories with this album. One memory includes mowing the lawn and listening to In Rainbows.

Favorite to least favorite:
  1. House of Cards
  2. Reckoner
  3. All I Need
  4. Weird Fishes / Arpeggi
  5. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
  6. Bodysnatchers
  7. Videotape
  8. Faust Arp
  9. 15 Step
  10. Nude

I have HOC as my favorite whereas everyone else seems to place it at the middle/bottom. And Nude can be a total snooze fest but I find it to be absolutely beautiful if you have the right setting and are in the right mood. Not a bad song on this album. Very well done Radiohead.

I N / R A I N B O W S
I N R A I N / B O W S
I N R A I N B O W / S
I N R A I N B O W S /
I N R A I N _ B O W S
R A D I O H E A _ D
_ R A D I O H E A D
Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #55
45:33

the "pay what you want" model is overrated. every review i've ever read of this album spends the first three paragraphs explaining the societal, cultural and moral implications of the decision to use this model. i couldn't think of anything more boring to talk about.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

But it was a huge deal at the time.

I mean, this is one of the biggest, most respected rock bands in the world. Hell, probably ever. And this thing was so hugely anticipated. And out of nowhere they say "Hi everybody, it'll be here in 10 days. You can pay whatever you want for it. No questions asked."

That shit was fucking crazy. It deserved to be talked about, and mentioned in the reviews. In my opinion.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #57
45:33

Can't argue with that, but it just doesn't interest me in the slightest, beyond "oh that's cool". It's like the actual music was secondary to the way it was initially released. And when In Rainbows is talked about on blogs and the like in years to come, I'll be scrolling straight past that stuff and onto the music.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:43 PM
It was an unprecedented concept, but rather than it being a groundbreaking distribution model, it strikes me more as just a brilliant and very effective means of creating hype, interest and awareness of the release, particularly with just 10 days of warning.

Has anyone else adopted the "Pay What You Want" model since? It was great marketing, but the unique distribution of the music has been nowhere near as revolutionary as a lot of critics at the time anticipated that it would be. "Teasers" had already been released prior to In Rainbows by other artists, yet not in full album form. Radiohead might be considered to have merely popularised "teasing"...

Bloc Party's "Intimacy" similarly had a short notice model thing happening.. But one still had to pay for the download of that album.

The more expensive physical edition that you could order, which came with vinyl and the second disc (which aside from the gorgeous Last Flowers, I unfortunately find to be boring and a let down), was not at all groundbreaking, as the releasing of deluxe editions of albums to combat illegal downloading had been around for years.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #59
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Great album, but yes overrated, only due to how so many use it as the THE example of "experimental music" of the past 5 years.

Kid A was innovative, the two following albums were the sound of evolving that sound and In Rainbows was the sound of them finally bringing some real intimacy to that sound.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:43 AM
I'm not sure who is placing one Radiohead's most straightforward albums on the "experimental" pedestal.