Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Listmania! (top 100/individual) - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #226
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
That is an excellent idea. Should have thought of it before. Sounds like good a way to make another Interference Top 100 Albums worthwhile in a few years. Increased accuracy and all that.
Glad you agree. It really does more to strengthen the mid- to lower-ranging entries than anything else... maybe help the order of the top ones a tiny bit, but not too much.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #227
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
Wrong.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #228
The Male

Local Time: 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Glad you agree. It really does more to strengthen the mid- to lower-ranging entries than anything else... maybe help the order of the top ones a tiny bit, but not too much.
The current system is already primitive.

But extended marathon countdowns that take up the majority of interference's monthly bandwith will never go out of style.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #229
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The current system is already primitive.

But extended marathon countdowns that take up the majority of interference's monthly bandwith will never go out of style.
Doing it with movies will be great, especially when The Lord of the Rings movies get ranked way, way too high.

Again, such is life... and borderline homosexual dwarves.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #230
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
For someone who grew up with a lot of the 'classic' music that made this list, you seem to be taking it for granted.
I thought it was kind of weird when you said that yesterday, too. What do you mean "taking it for granted"?

Quote:
Also, I know we all love U2. I love Joshua and Achtung as much as the next Interferencer, but come on...do we really think they're the two greatest records of all time?
here again, I think it comes down to the different interpretations of the game - who treated it as "best albums ever" and who treated it as "my favorite albums ever"?

I guess that kind of takes care of my question to your first answer as well. Is Joyfulgirl "taking it for granted" or are those albums simply not among her favorites?

Eh, it could go 'round and 'round all day with all the "favorites" vs "best" stuff. I know I commented several times yesterday with all the "why all the xxx?" but I do honestly agree with Joyfulgirl, that it was more surprise than dismay.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #231
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:25 PM
Quote:
Doing it with movies will be great, especially when The Lord of the Rings movies get ranked way, way too high.

Again, such is life... and borderline homosexual dwarves.
Trilogies should be counted as 1 if they're all telling the same story, imo. BTTF tells one story over three films. The ST OT tells one story over three films. LOTR tells one story over three films. Just a thought.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #232
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Trilogies should be counted as 1 if they're all telling the same story, imo. BTTF tells one story over three films. The ST OT tells one story over three films. LOTR tells one story over three films. Just a thought.
Right, but when you're figuring a list of 100 Favorite Films and trying to put them on even playing fields, you have to separate them and look at them on a single-film basis in order to make a legit list. It throws the numbers out of whack and messes up the calculations, and I say to not do that every time, but people manage to do it anyway.

I highly disagree about the Back to the Future trilogy. They had the single threads linking them from film-to-film, but the driving stories of each film were radically different from the next. What does Biff stealing an almanac have to do with Doc falling in love with Clara apart from Doc getting struck by lightning in the 2nd film? Do you see what I'm getting at here.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #233
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I thought it was kind of weird when you said that yesterday, too. What do you mean "taking it for granted"?

here again, I think it comes down to the different interpretations of the game - who treated it as "best albums ever" and who treated it as "my favorite albums ever"?

I guess that kind of takes care of my question to your first answer as well. Is Joyfulgirl "taking it for granted" or are those albums simply not among her favorites?

Eh, it could go 'round and 'round all day with all the "favorites" vs "best" stuff. I know I commented several times yesterday with all the "why all the xxx?" but I do honestly agree with Joyfulgirl, that it was more surprise than dismay.

Maybe "taking it for granted" wasn't the best choice of words. I was just surprised that someone who actually got to live through what many consider the greatest era in the history of pop/rock music, was expressing boredom over it, and even more so that someone who lived through that period thinks there are bands that were influenced by those classic bands who are better than those classic bands. I was surprised by that is all. Obviously I disagree with it. But it's all opinions.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #234
Blue Crack Distributor

Gotcha.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #235
The Male

Quote:
I highly disagree about the Back to the Future trilogy. They had the single threads linking them from film-to-film, but the driving stories of each film were radically different from the next. What does Biff stealing an almanac have to do with Doc falling in love with Clara apart from Doc getting struck by lightning in the 2nd film? Do you see what I'm getting at here.
I'd say Back To The Future I & II appear to be somewhat related, while the third feels like the step cousin three times removed that was raised out in the wilderness by groundhogs. He's a blast at parties just the same.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #236
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I'd say Back To The Future I & II appear to be somewhat related, while the third feels like the step cousin three times removed that was raised out in the wilderness by groundhogs. He's blast at parties just the same.
Part II does do the whole alternate angle on the events of the first film, but they're so radically different in tone and approach that you can definitely consider them their own films.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:40 PM   #237
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Right, but when you're figuring a list of 100 Favorite Films and trying to put them on even playing fields, you have to separate them and look at them on a single-film basis in order to make a legit list. It throws the numbers out of whack and messes up the calculations, and I say to not do that every time, but people manage to do it anyway.

You have a point about BTTF. Maybe it shouldn't be in the same category. Perhaps even SW shouldn't be in that category since there were big time gaps between each film.

I'm just saying, especially with something like LOTR, you could connect them together and have a 9-hour film and barely notice that they were originally three different films(might take a little editing, but still) because they were all shot at the same time. From this point of view, you could see them as three different parts of the same film. That's all I'm saying. But hey, you'll be running the thing, it's your prerogative.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #238
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
I also think, as someone else pointed out, that some of the music the classics inspired sound better today than the classics themselves, and I was surprised that the list did not include more of a balance of classics and more recent music.
Numerous psychological studies have shown that people tend to believe times before their life to have been somehow better or more dignified - ancient historians like myself are notorious for that. I am being a lazy academic so I will not cite these studies now, but perhaps that has something to do with the younger generations placing so much value in the likes of The Beatles, Floyd, and the Stones. I personally grew up with my father proclaiming that Floyd was the greatest band ever, and now I believe it.

We are highly impressionable.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #239
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:25 AM
What suprises me the most of the lists posted, is that U2 make the peoples top 20 albums only on 5-6 occassions
Old 11-21-2008, 05:48 PM   #240
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
You have a point about BTTF. Maybe it shouldn't be in the same category. Perhaps even SW shouldn't be in that category since there were big time gaps between each film.

I'm just saying, especially with something like LOTR, you could connect them together and have a 9-hour film and barely notice that they were originally three different films(might take a little editing, but still) because they were all shot at the same time. From this point of view, you could see them as three different parts of the same film. That's all I'm saying. But hey, you'll be running the thing, it's your prerogative.
Exactly. The whole "sequels filmed at the same time" thing could maybe be applied here, but not for a whole series, in most cases. Kill Bill is a bone of contention for me, too, since I view it as one film, but they are two distinct films in tone and content.

Now with LOTR, I agree with you in that they should be viewed as one whole series because that's the intent of the filmmaker. All I'm saying is that for the purpose of an individual film list, they need to be separated.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the series, but do realize that it's popular amongst a good portion of the people on this site, same with Star Wars and other major nerd franchises. Since I'm unable to understand the concept of an opinion, however, I have to say that they're wrong.